Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didnt wear my gloves today and look what happened

I got a sunburn on the backs of my hands!:p I was leading the demo rides today at the HD dealer and I had my jacket on but not my gloves. I was out for about 40-50 minutes of every hour from 11-3 and now I see the dangers of not wearing gloves.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
now just think what the palms would look like if you went down on your bike :eek:

Actually I saw a few people driving around like this over the past few days... chicks too... I dunno why it is something people omit...

it's bad enough when you wipe out on a bicycle doing 10-20mph I'd hate to see what hands would look like after a road speed crash...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ya, I get sunburn on my bald spot when I don't wear my helmet, I always wear gloves though, even if I have no other gear

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
it's bad enough when you wipe out on a bicycle doing 10-20mph I'd hate to see what hands would look like after a road speed crash...
I've been wearing my thin short perforated gloves while mountain biking. They've already saved my palms a couple times and allowed me to have a more controlled fall. I sure as hell wouldn't want to eat it out in the mountains without gloves. I fell down plenty of times when I was a kid that hardly weighed anything and still got nasty looking palms. Now I'm nearly 150 lbs heavier and I'm pretty sure the skin on my palms are not over 4 times thicker than they used to be. I don't even want to think about what my hands would be like if I went down on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I get a sunburn "ring" around my neck for the 2-3 inches of exposed skin between my helmet and jacket, even with very good sunblock. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
ya, I get sunburn on my bald spot when I don't wear my helmet, I always wear gloves though, even if I have no other gear
Yeah I try to make sure I at least wear socks when I ride, I hate top-of-foot sun burn

·
Registered
358 Posts
Picture

My hands after a day long ride wearing my mesh gloves. This just shows my fingers, the back of both my hands were like that too. I looked like a cheetah for a couple weeks, it was awesome.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Gloves are the second most important piece of safety gear you can wear. Hands are easily damaged beyond repair. You can get along pretty well without a foot, not so well without a hand. The level of incapacitation in pretty severe even if you don't wind up with permanent damage.

Sunburn is the least of it.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I agree andy. I know from experience that it's instinctive (for me at least) to try to slow down and change the direction you're sliding in by using your hands against the asphalt. Went down in September '07 and I'd hate to think of what the palms of my hands would look like if I hadn't been wearing gloves. They would've probably been like bloody hamburger and a bunch of bones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts