Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on the track so it was nice to be back.  Despite allt he smack fellas were talking about Pocono, I thought it was decent but defly bumpy...

After much dialing in of the carbs at last minute and some help from TonyJuliano, the bike ran 100% and made good power.  The tires and suspension felt pretty good too. 

So... as I get to the track I unload the bike and head off to tech inspection.  The inspector was defly "suspicious" of my 72 Kawi tail and he gave it a good work out make sure it was mounted solid (which of course it was  ;) ).  Then the guy tells me he doesn't like that my rear tire is a bit squared off and wants a second inpsector to take a look, mean while some f'ing kunt who works with TPM says "oh just fail him".  I thought she was kidding for a second but looked ovver at her and she was dead serious!!!  A second inspector took a look and said it was OK. 

After tech I got 2 good sessions in and kept it slow to learn the track.  I was in the red (intermediate) class and took it easy on the straights so the fast guys could get around me, then I could watch them and check out the race line.  Third session the weather decided to stop cooperating and the skies opened up... most decided to stay off the track but I kept at it, largely by myself  ;D  With no one else on the track it's a lot easier to relax, take it slow and get a good look around... look at the asphalt, debris, landmarks, etc...  A few sessions later it lightened up and we gone another session or two in before *more* rain.  It was at this point that one of the sessions was red flagged (stopped, probably due to a crash) and many people were going back to the grid to finish the session, others were pitting out and heading back to the paddock.  I pull towards the grid and while on the pit road I slow down and pull off.  It just so happens that at the same time a coach (aka control rider) was going to pass me on the left with only about 2 feet between me and the grass!!! Well he goes off onto the grass, looses it, tumbles, his bike flips... he gets up and starts screaming.  I listen to his crap unitl he's done venting and ride back to the paddock... WTF? 

The rest of the day was dodging rain but I still got some good laps in.  The coach's told me I have to work on my body position, after looking at the pics I agree.  I guess I'll be needing to raise the pegs too as my toes were rubbing pretty good.  The ultra-low seat on my bike worked out nice too, low center of gravity and it felt better while leaned over to me.  Congrats to DougZ who got bumped up to red, I'll be looking forward to a little friendly competition there next time  ;)

Now some pics...

















 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
donniej said:
I pull towards the grid and while on the pit road I slow down and pull off.  It just so happens that at the same time a coach (aka control rider) was going to pass me on the left with only about 2 feet between me and the grass!!! Well he goes off onto the grass, looses it, tumbles, his bike flips... he gets up and starts screaming.  I listen to his crap unitl he's done venting and ride back to the paddock... WTF? 
i didn't see this happen or even hear you talk about it! where was i?!

more shots of donnie here http://jerseycowboy.com/gallery/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
donniej said:
it was right around the time of your get-off.... I didn't mention it because I didn't want to steal your thunder  ;D

I'm checking out the pics now... thanks Josh!!!
my thunder remains intact - thanks don!

no prob on the pics. thanks back to yuo for taking some of me (most of them on two wheels instead of my side)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
I suppose you know what you're doing if you were allowed into the intermediate group.  But I don't think the organization I raced with would have let anyone out of beginner if their body position was like what I see in the pictures. I can understand why the pegs would be scraping if you're not moving your body into the turn more.

How does one move up in the levels with the organization you were with?

This is supposed to be constructive. I tried to word it in a "nice" way.

Other than that, it looks like you had fun and the pictures are pretty cool. I have yet to see the pics that our photomonkey took four months ago.

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
Don,

I think that ultra-low seat is hurting you.  It seems like it forces you to sit bolt upright (grabbing lot's of air) and prevents you from getting your body off the bike.  Like I told you yesterday, the bike is leaned way over, but you're stuck in the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
I suppose you know what you're doing if you were allowed into the intermediate group.  But I don't think the organization I raced with would have let anyone out of beginner if their body position was like what I see in the pictures. I can understand why the pegs would be scraping if you're not moving your body into the turn more.

How does one move up in the levels with the organization you were with?

This is supposed to be constructive. I tried to word it in a "nice" way.

Josh
Don definitely belongs in the group he was riding (he has his race license for god's sake), his body position is hampered by his "different" bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
I'll take that as a legitimate excuse because that is a bizarre circumstance (strange seat).

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Don: I didn't know that happened with youand the CR?? Did you put your hand up to let him know you were pitting out???

Shaggy: you get moved up based on how smooth you are and how well you hold the line, as well as how clean and safe your passes are. Speed and/or body position is not what they look for..its predictability and control.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DougZ said:
Don: I didn't know that happened with youand the CR?? Did you put your hand up to let him know you were pitting out???
I was *already* pitted out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
donniej said:
I was *already* pitted out!
Wow.....which coach was it...do you know his number on his bike??
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top