Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a *long* weekend of wrenching on the car so tonight I decided to let off some steam before passing out from exhaustion...

Down in an ultra-remote area I tried started with some wheelies... I don't know how many times I've tried, I just can't get it. The bike makes great power and has a 14 tooth front sprocket but I guess I'm just a nancy. I can get the wheel to bounce off the ground but even when (I feel like I'm) whacking the throttle wide open, but nothing happens.

After doing that for a short while I moved onto "standing Christ" or whatever they call standing on your gas tank...
I got the bike up to ~50MPH and got up on the seat.... let go of the bars and stood up straight, no sweat. I started thinking about getting up on the tank but the bike started getting squirelly cuz I was only doing ~25 - 30MPH. I tried it again but the road was too short to get enough speed. I tried to climb right up on the tank from the pegs but the clip-ons are too low even for someone lanky like me.

My last experiment was putting my butt up on the tank and sliding forward with my thighs against the clip-ons. Too easy, not to hard to ride like that either (in a straight line anyway).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
wheeling the SV takes more skill than most other bikes. Most people couldn't pop and hold a wheelie from my SV until i gave it to this one guy to test it out. it took a few passes in the lot then he got it up and kept it up until out of space. Then again and again and again until it was very repetive and i stopped paying attention.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
lkm said:
wheeling the SV takes more skill than most other bikes.  Most people couldn't pop and hold a wheelie from my SV until i gave it to this one guy to test it out.  it took a few passes in the lot then he got it up and kept it up until out of space. Then again and again and again until it was very repetive and i stopped paying attention.
You really think it takes more skill than most other bikes? I would agree if you meant ANY bike. Or do you mean sportbikes?
1st gear power wheelies are easy cheesey on the SV... especially compared to my brother's ZX-6R.

J

·
0 Posts
Next time you are out try to do an endo while you are sitting on the tank!!
It is TOO easy. Hard to control but easy to get up
My buddy does tank wheelies on his SV

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
at the time, i meant sportbikes. because everyone else who tried rode one.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Maybe we'll have to have a stuntfest, an SV only stuntfest at the NE gathering.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
first gear wheelies on the sv are easy like cheese... but you cant ride them very far before you hit the rev limiter.

2nd gear and up start to get tricky and actually take some skill (I have none ;D )

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yea Donnie!

I basically decided not to stunt on my 6r...but I'd love a beater bike to learn stunting on.

Stunting is really fun, and can be very confidence inspiring if you're familiar and controlled with the maneuvers.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
evilbologna said:
Maybe we'll have to have a stuntfest, an SV only stuntfest at the NE gathering.
we should make up a rope and pully system that will hold the bike up in case of a crash. kinda like a "superbike school" or something

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've found first gear wheelies to be really easy to get up. I was using the chop and whack method. Make sure you're sitting back, actually going wide open, and also pay attention to whether you're leaning forward when it starts to come up. It's instinctive.

Sounds like you had fun, don't wreck it!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red Raevyn said:
Sounds like you had fun, don't wreck it!
I bought it pre-wrecked... besides, I've got Motosliders to protect the important stuff ;)

Next time I think I'm gonna try standing on the passenger pegs and squatting back. This way I can whack the crap out of it and if I flip it I can just step back off it... sounds good in theory anyway ;D

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't ridden a ZX6R but I know on my buddy's 03 GSXR 600, wheelies are incredibly easy. In fact, I thought they would be harder, because all you hear is how down on power I-4's are down low, but I could wheelie from 3,000 RPM's and up no problem. The SV is kinda hard at first, but after you do a couple, it gets easier and easier.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Donnie, the best way I can describe how to do power wheelies is to get after it in 1st gear, power shift into 2nd but instead of the usual clutch/shift/release/gas you simply transpose it to clutch/shift/gas/release. Go ahead and give it some stout throttle shifting into second, and it will pop up for ya. It won't seem like it once you get it the first time BUT, the bike has to come up a very long ways before you loop it. If you get skeered, chop the throttle and down she comes. Oh yeah, post some pics too ya freakin' squid. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Kickass man!!!

Now take pics at once, but be sure you are wearing gear or prepare for neg 20000 karma.:)

The SV is a wheelie monster, once you get the feel for it you will be doing them like crazy all over the place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts