Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who do your own scheduled maintenance, do you re-torque all the chassis bolts & such IAW the maintenance manual? I did this for the first time on Saturday, and I found out pretty quick that there are some fasteners (steering head & forks, dogbones, all the Allen bolts) for which I don't have the proper tools, or which I couldn't get at. If I'm gonna have to buy crow's feet, Allen sockets (for my torque wrench) etc., that's cutting into what I'm saving by doing it myself.

W

·
0 Posts
The torque the bolts stuff is all grand and fine for the ones you can reach but after doing several services on brand new japanese bikes and quadsI have never found a loose fitting on any factory installed hardware. I always take a look at stuff the rider may have added himself like accessories and lighting. I have found problems with that kind of stuff, Even MY OWN STUFF!!!

Good luck...by the way...If you develope a mysterious rattle or buzz something is loose; check it out!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Angus2911 said:
For those of you who do your own scheduled maintenance, do you re-torque all the chassis bolts & such IAW the maintenance manual? I did this for the first time on Saturday, and I found out pretty quick that there are some fasteners (steering head & forks, dogbones, all the Allen bolts) for which I don't have the proper tools, or which I couldn't get at. If I'm gonna have to buy crow's feet, Allen sockets (for my torque wrench) etc., that's cutting into what I'm saving by doing it myself.
Proper tools are a must, but are worth it. Think of them as an investment. Sure start up is a bit much, but when you find that you have all the right tools later to fix your bike and even maybe a friends, it's a lot better that way.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Buy tools that will last a lifetime and you will come out way ahead, assuming you continue to do your own maintenance work. Of course, it also depends what dollar value you place on your time.

I can't think of any place on the SV that requires a crows foot wrench, so I'm not sure I know what you're referring to there. But a set of allen (hex) sockets is a must IMO, and they are extremely handy. Beats the heck out of using hex keys.

I torque all my fasteners, except some phillips heads and fairing screws, that type of thing. Comes from riding singles where fasteners vibrate loose on a regular basis.

Find good sources for tools and this won't be an issue. Buy quality and you'll generally only have to buy it once. I pick up a lot of top quality tools on Ebay. Grainger, if you have an account, is also an excellent source, as are online discounters. I would not part with my Knipex pliers, or my snap-on sockets and they were money well spent. But I make sure I get very good deals on them or I couldn't afford them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Craftsman or Husky is just fine for the home mechanic. Besides they have a lifetime warrenty if something ever breaks. Just buy the tools. Buy them as a big set and you'll save lots of money in the long run. Nice thing is I still spend less when I have to buy tools, and the next 20x I need that tool I still own it while Id have to pay full price again for dealership work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts