Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I'm strolling back from the mailbox with the Mo'ster riding on my shoulders
and I observe my neighbor gearing up to ride off on his Yammer R6.
With one hand on the bars and one on the tail-grab-bar he pulls it over onto
the tip of the kickstand and dances the thing around in a 180.
This took him all of three seconds. Wow. :eek:

I've tried it before with the SV and tried it again this morning.
Either I am a weakling or clueless but let's say that my performance was not going to get me on Dancing with the Stars! :-\

I am not convinced that Suzuki engineered the kickstand to carry the entire weight of the vehicle.

Any SV Forum folks do the Kickstand Dance?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've tried it before, and it seems like the kickstand is not exactly in the ideal place (i.e., under the center of gravity), which would make it harder. When I tried it was too difficult to balance it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, I have a one car garage and it is by far the fastest way to turn the bike around. It's either that or a 100 point turn, Lol...I do it everyday and there has been no damage to my kickstand.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i do it whenever i'm in a tight spot and don't feel like doing a 1000 point u-turn.
no problems at all. kick stand never folded or felt like it was going to fold.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've tried it before, and it seems like the kickstand is not exactly in the ideal place (i.e., under the center of gravity), which would make it harder. When I tried it was too difficult to balance it.
It takes a little practice to find the "sweetspot" where the bike balances almost effortlessly and is easily swiveled around. i grab the left hand grip with my left hand and grab the rightside passenger peg bracket with my right hand and pull the bike to the left and back until it balances and then gently swing it around.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
It's amazing what people can come up with. I've never thought of a kickstand as a multi-functional device...

I do have a tough time getting my bike sideways into the back of the garage... Hmmm, might have to consider this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah, I tried this, and the kick stands weld broke. Not saying its not safe to do, just that it happened to me. Maybe I just got unlucky or didn't balance it right? Either way, I got my kickstand welded by my boss, and he put the weld deep into that thing, and claims that it won't break. I still don't think that I'm going to be trying it again anytime soon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If one cannot do this, they shouldn't be riding. It takes far less ability to flip the bike around than it does to ride it.
Well, fcuk me. You're probebly right, JB.
I'll put the bike on CL and get back in my cage tomorrow.
What the hell was I thinking trying to ride a motorcycle?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Because of the angle, placement and shape of the sv kickstand it is more difficult (not impossible) to do than a super sport bike.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I feel like a lot of bikes have a kickstand that works better for this then the sv. Maybe it's just an illusion, but many SS bikes I have seen seem like the stand is less curved and more right underneath the bike. Either way, I haven't tried it and really don't plan to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did it this morning and I find that if I pull the bike towards me as mutch as I can it turns alot smoother. I also rest my left foot on the kick stand where it makes contact with the floor. So that way the kick stand doesn't slide.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, fcuk me. You're probebly right, JB.
I'll put the bike on CL and get back in my cage tomorrow.
What the hell was I thinking trying to ride a motorcycle?
Yeah, I must have missed the part of the MSF course where they taught how to turn your bike around on it's kickstand :rolleyes: Lol, I had been riding for a few years before I saw someone do the kickstand maneuver and thought I'd give it a shot. Not everyone, especially new riders feel comfortable hoisting 400+ pounds onto the kickstand and risk getting crushed or dropping their bike. As with every other aspect of motorcycling it takes practice.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I'd never be able to leave my g/f's house if i didn't do this. (which might not be a bad thing lol). I pull into her back yard (concrete pad) one way and have to turn the bike around to leave. It's easier than backing it out and all that jazz.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Took my SV to a local mechanic to look at some issues I was having and he did this in his shop to quickly angle the bike onto the stand. Blew my mind at first cuz i thought he was gonna drop her. Instead he spun and twirled her like he was Gene Kelly or something. Uber impressive, but thankfully I can pull in/drive out of my parking spot, so I don't have to bother

·
Registered
973 Posts
When i first read your title, I thought this was going to be a thread
about forgetting to put the kickstand down and trying to not look
dumb while almost dumping the bike, That i have done.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts