Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your Gladius use any oil? I'm getting ready for an oil change and I noticed that the level in down a little. Not much, but just enough to notice.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine didn't used a drop even after a track day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 3000 miles it went from just over the full mark to just below it. But there was a quite a bit of high rpm riding. Also, I am using 0w40 synthetic, which may burn a little more than 10w40.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In 3000 miles it went from just over the full mark to just below it. But there was a quite a bit of high rpm riding. Also, I am using 0w40 synthetic, which may burn a little more than 10w40.
How many miles before you went to synthetic? I went 4000 miles and 4 oil changes before I made the switch to synthetic. I'm too skeptical to try the 0w on a high rev engine. I think I just change the oil with Castrol full syn. 5w-40. Before I used T6 Retella

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mine hasn't used a bit so far. Not used to it either since I'm used to older bikes that always consume a bit.

Just out of curiosity, those bikes that do consume a bit of oil, how was the bike initially broken in?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles before you went to synthetic? I went 4000 miles and 4 oil changes before I made the switch to synthetic. I'm too skeptical to try the 0w on a high rev engine. I think I just change the oil with Castrol full syn. 5w-40. Before I used T6 Retella
Why skeptical of 0w40? Same viscosity at operating temp, with slightly better protection when the engine is cold.

I bought mine as a demo with about 1,000 miles on it. So not sure how it was broken in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've seem some engine failures on race car engines running 0w. Could be unrelated just skeptical.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Was the oil straight 0wt or multi weight? I can see straight 0wt causing problems quickly, but I've never seen or heard of any, just curious.

·
Registered
87 Posts
0w30 sounds awful thin for a race motor (the 30 not the 0! ). I know a lot of guys running 0w40 in turbo car applications (subaru turbo motors are HARD on oil!) with no ill effects.

I work at a Toyota dealership, and a LOT of newer Toyota's call for 0w20. We haven't seen any issues with this.

In response to the OP, my bike has yet to consume any (but I only have 3000 ish miles )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts