Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I have a 01 S and it wouldn't stock, now that I have a slipon/rejet she's up several MPH on top but is still shy of pulling redline in 6th. Seems that it could benifit from a gearing change. I did a search on gearing and sprocket didn't find information that I was looking for.

BTW...my top speed runs were on a closed road so please refrain from the unsafe comments.

Was thinking of going at least -1 front and possibly -1 F +2 R. Looking for better roll on gearing in the 60-80 range and quicker accel to near top speed for occasional track use.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Nope... you'll get more top end out of 5th gear.

If you want to max out 6th, go with a -1F or a +2, +3 R.

But for the amount of time, you'll spend at the top end (trying to readline 6th) you sacrifice other stuff. The SV just doens't have the hp to max out 6th. You can change your gearing and you'll get better low end acceleration but be running high rpm's on the highway.

Gear is all a trade off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but I am rarely on the highway. Mostly winding country backroads for me. Higher revs at speed don't bother me much. I'm used to an I4 reving high anyway. Stock she was topping out around 125-127 indicated depending on weather/tankbag or not/good tuck. Yesterday she was up around 132 indicated and very slowly gaining speed. With alot more room it coulda pulled 135 I think, or if I had my tankbag off and a better tuck.

I'll be needing a new chain soon so I'm just trying to plan ahead. I don't want to go too low and have the top end suffer since it seems like there's plenty of room to keep top end and bottom end both with this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
With what you said, I'd go with a -1 up front. You'll have plenty of pull everywhere. Not sure how much you'll loose up top (maybe a mph or two). I know when I went to a 46R it pulled harder out back. A 48R is equivalent to a -1 up front.

Front sprockets are cheap so you can experiment with those no problem. I also know some people on here run a 16F.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Mine might... But I've always chickened out first. I've crashed at 80 and it sucked, I don't really want to see how ground down an SV gets from 140.

(before anyone says "you mean indicated 140, etc", no I don't- mine is still climbing at 135 by Veypor and by GPS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True it is aerodynamically limited, however for comparison sake between 01 SVS vs 01 SVS it's quite natural to see what others with the same bike get. Surely there will be minor differences especially say a smaller person with a double bubble could get a better tuck maybe a couple of MPH better. Really just trying to determine what gearing I want to use.

135 and still climbing? Is your bike 99-02 or 03+? Maybe with the cam swap I could see a 99-02 still climning at 135 but stock or lightly modded.... Maybe downhill with a stiff tailwind :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did 220km/h today and was still pulling, my sprockets are 15/45. Thats about 137mph (indicated of course). I think 230km/h is possible with the SV and my bits.
Oh and didnt look at the revs :(

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Kzin said:
135 and still climbing?  Is your bike 99-02 or 03+?  Maybe with the cam swap I could see a 99-02 still climning at 135 but stock or lightly modded....  Maybe downhill with a stiff tailwind  :D
99-02 with the cam swap, full system, Race RS filter, tank spacers, ignition advancer. Some weight loss going on as well :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Northwind said:
99-02 with the cam swap, full system, Race RS filter, tank spacers, ignition advancer. Some weight loss going on as well :)
Ok that makes sense. Nice. I've been considering the cam swap too. Looks like good gains for less than you'd pay for an exhaust system. Still get the gains with a slipon? How'd you like the ignition advance? I did +4 on my 6E and it was noticably better in the throttle response.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kzin- check out my thread in the SV mods forum, we are discussing sprockets and gains from them there as well, a few of us are running 14/47 and love it. I am considering even shorter gearing to be honest.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Kzin said:
Ok that makes sense.  Nice.  I've been considering the cam swap too.  Looks like good gains for less than you'd pay for an exhaust system.  Still get the gains with a slipon?  How'd you like the ignition advance?  I did +4 on my 6E and it was noticably better in the throttle response.
I really rate the ignition advancer but then my bike's built entirely for street use- the wider power and earlier torque are very handy for me, and to be honest I could care less about whether it helps or hinders top end since it's still well up on stock. I'd sacrifice all the peak boost I've got for ridability any day. Possibly my favroute power mod since it's so cheap, and not too difficult. The cam swap's great too... No idea if you'd get the same benefit with a slipon, but logically I don't suppose it'd make that much of a difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine pulls redline in 6th and it has a blown head gasket on the front cyl. Its gonna pull red in 9th when its fixed!

J

·
0 Posts
OK i have an 03 but thought i would post here. My bike has been modified it dyno's 80hp and we have dropped some weight off of the old girl. She revs faster and gets a few more mph however she still tops out at 10,500 in 6th gear. Mine is a nekid so it is not the most aerodynamic. I am gonna see how she does with some race wheels however until then i think i will try to rock a 46 rear and see how that goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts