Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking through the FZ6 forum and came across this.

Can't beat the FZ6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mags usually compare the Suzuki SV650, Yamaha FZ6 and Honda 600. I was kind of partial to Hondas, as my first bike was a 305 Super Hawk. I talked my wife into buying a yellow Honda 600, but found they were not available in '05.

She did not like the SV650, and I heard one on the road. My 9.9 HP Johnson outboard sounded better!

We found a Honda 600 '04 leftover at a stealer in Boston and went to our local stealer - a Honda/Yamaha stealership - for him to go get it and we'd buy it. They still wanted ~list for the '04 leftover - and the sticker price started ~$1000 too high - or the Hondas would have sold much better!

She called me at work from the stealership and said to forget about the bare naked Honda 600 and she'd buy me the faster blue FZ6 right now... I had read a lot, but had not looked at the FZ6 in the flesh. But, how could I argue?

The rest is history. I love it... Good ergos for my "not 20 anymore" body, some reasonable wind protection, does twisties like on rails, and enough power to scare me. Here are a lot of things you could criticize, non-adjustable forks, and so on, but it's only $6100!

I'm trying to get her on a Ninja 250 so she can take over the FZ6, and I can get a new FZ6 - or a new FZ1!!! She's taking the class this weekend.

The FZ6 is the best choice for for a rationally priced, reasonably comfortable street bike.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
With a stock exhaust, sure. It sounds like many things with the stock exhaust.

IMO the FZ6 sounds like poo poo with it's stock exhaust, it seriously sounds like a mini van.

Yeah thats right, a mini van, thats more insulting than an outboard motor 8)

J

·
0 Posts
evilbologna said:
With a stock exhaust, sure. It sounds like many things with the stock exhaust.

IMO the FZ6 sounds like poo poo with it's stock exhaust, it seriously sounds like a mini van.

Yeah thats right, a mini van, thats more insulting than an outboard motor 8)
HAHA!!! Ha Ha!!!!!
+1

·
Registered
92 Posts
with a yoshi rs3 bolt on my bike sounds like a 1300 it sounds about two times bigger than it is it has a nice rumble you can hear me coming

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes the FZ´s faster, but the SV´s power band is wider, so it´s more usable.
Below 9000 rpm SV´s engine has always more power than FZ6 and 599; if you ride the highways the i4´s are faster but in the funny roads or at the city, the SV will always be surprisingly quick.
About how it sounds, it´s only a personal question, but I can assure you, that with an f/s on the SV the i4 riders won´t hear their own machines.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
With a stock can the think a sewing machine sounds more threatening then an SV. However with my high mount Scorpion mounted it sound like "Don't phuck with me" for real.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went by an FZ6 a while ago and thought it sounded like a little bumble bee buzzing around. BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ::) Don't get me wrong, they are nice bikes and I really like them, but the exhaust would definatly need some work.

Twins have character.

J

·
0 Posts
Just look at my video (SV vs. FZ1) you can hear both. It is an FZ1 not 6 but close enough

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
In stock form the SV does sound like an angry sewing machine. After installing the TBR though, it has a nice deep rumble at low RPMS and a good character at speed. It's fun to let 'er rip in tunnels on the morning commute too ;D better than coffee to wake up the drowsy cagers

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
MagpieTear said:
It's fun to let 'er rip in tunnels on the morning commute too ;D better than coffee to wake up the drowsy cagers
5000 rpms and rising!!!

I loved to do that with my Civic when I had my fart can on it!! Loud like WHOA!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hehehe, yeah I was really glad to get rid of my stock exhaust... but really, is that how people choose what bike to ride? That's just stupid. You can make it sound any way you want to with the right pipe. Jeez. More idiots on the road!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
sadly, the way the bike sounded and the cost was a factor in why i bought my SV. came with M4.

J

·
0 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Hehehe, yeah I was really glad to get rid of my stock exhaust... but really, is that how people choose what bike to ride? That's just stupid. You can make it sound any way you want to with the right pipe. Jeez. More idiots on the road!
Only an idiot would say that!!! There is no way to make a twin sound like a I4 no matter what pipe you put on it

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm actually rather fond of the way my stock SV sounds. It's nice and quiet (discreet, doesn't annoy people or cops, no kids grabbing ears), but it sounds really nice with a good amount of throttle or fully closed engine braking. Much cheaper than a pipe too! :D

I'd love to have another SV with a pipe on it to take out now and then though, cause they definitely sound badass.

J

·
0 Posts
There is one bike that i've heard that i can honestly say i like better than the sv. A RC51 with duals. It sounds so badass

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I put wire wheels on mine and fastened some playing cards with clothespins. Much cheaper than Yoshimura.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The SV650 sounds sooo different from my previous bike - GS500 - that I have to keep telling myself "the engine is fine, it's supposed to sound like that". I like the sound but it takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
stock it sounds like a sewing machine at idle, but it can sound pretty snarly when piped and WOT. Altogether a good sound.

btw- I heard a Aprilia Mille today, and it was such a lovely sound. It had a deep baritone sound to it. You know that sound you get when you roll off. It honestly moved me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts