Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Some dude on another site was trying to tell me that SVs don't have Suzuki drivelines but rather they have Korean made Hyosung motors...tell me this is just a lie :puke:

I figure you guys would be the more credible source...thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
cavepilot said:
But didn’t Hyosung play some role in the original SV engine?
Thats what Ive always heard. Either way the majority of the money is from Suzuki, so its a suzuki motor in a hyosung bike. Does it really change anything as far as how you feel about the engine? If so maybe you should go worry about some other image conscious thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Hyosung has produced Suzuki designed parts under license in the past. In fact, many of their products are based off of Suzuki designs.

It's pretty clear that Hyosung is using Suzuki designs to produce their own GT650 motors now. They are two different motors, but share a lot of the same design to save costs.

Though they look like the same engine, they actually do not share any parts in common. Just about the only thing in common that they do have is the general design paramaters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Hyosung has produced Suzuki designed parts under license in the past. In fact, many of their products are based off of Suzuki designs.

It's pretty clear that Hyosung is using Suzuki designs to produce their own GT650 motors now. They are two different motors, but share a lot of the same design to save costs.

Though they look like the same engine, they actually do not share any parts in common. Just about the only thing in common that they do have is the general design paramaters.
Aye!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
They look similar....but to my knowledge share no parts at all. The displacements aren't even the same.

645cc's for the SV, 647cc's for the Hyosung.

The guy on the other forum wasn't lying....he's just ignorant.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
Ruefus said:
They look similar....but to my knowledge share no parts at all. The displacements aren't even the same.

645cc's for the SV, 647cc's for the Hyosung.

The guy on the other forum wasn't lying....he's just ignorant.

there are 3 things in common, they use oil as lubricant and water/antifreeze as coolant and burn gasoline fuel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
:BangHead:

Look at the engines. Are they the same? No. They're almost exactly as similiar as a GSXR600 and CBR600 motor. Hyosang, like almost every other heavy industrial company out there (including kawasaki HI btw) have made Suzuki bits. Also bits for most other bike and car manufacturers. Just about nobody makes every part for every vehicle they make in-house, if you spend a fortune on a factory and staff to build frames, engines, etc you don't want to use it to make starter motors and oil filler caps, especially when someone else can do it for less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Northwind said:
:BangHead:

Look at the engines. Are they the same? No. They're almost exactly as similiar as a GSXR600 and CBR600 motor. Hyosang, like almost every other heavy industrial company out there (including kawasaki HI btw) have made Suzuki bits. Also bits for most other bike and car manufacturers. Just about nobody makes every part for every vehicle they make in-house, if you spend a fortune on a factory and staff to build frames, engines, etc you don't want to use it to make starter motors and oil filler caps, especially when someone else can do it for less.
+1


Things are done differently in Asia. I took a class on World Economy and the teacher went heavily into how things are run out there.

For example (assuming I remember this correctly): Mitsubishi Bank will fund Mitsubishi Motors who buys parts from Mitsubishi Engineering who contracts Mitsubishi Manufacturing and all those branches pay money back to Mitsubishi Bank with interest. Those companies might work with GM on using a GM motor in a Mitsu car, borrow a Suzuki suspension design (because it's already in production and happens to work out in the Mitsu design), and on top of all that might just have the parts shipped to the US to be assembled in Tennessee and sold on US soil. When you look at a chart, it's all very circular. Bank to Motors to Engineering and Parts Manufacture back to Bank. Things are done completely differently here in the US....that is until AT&T and Microsoft decide to open up banks and start loaning themselves money (see the difference?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
If Hyosung manufactures parts for suzuki that were not up to spec, I'm sure suzuki would rectify that problem or end their relationship real quick.
BTW, The same GE that makes toaster ovens and light bulbs, also happens to make the 20mm vulcan machine gun and F404-400 turbine engines for the F/A-18's that I maintain for the navy. Not a problem as long as these things are manufactured to spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
sigmanugary said:
Some dude on another site was trying to tell me that SVs don't have Suzuki drivelines but rather they have Korean made Hyosung motors...tell me this is just a lie :puke:
It's a lie. Hyosung is a Korean company, Suzuki is a Japanese company. Suzuki has used Hyosung for manufacture of some Suzuki designed parts in the past, but the motor is not one of them.

Hyosung licensed some designs from Suzuki to sell in their Asian market, but that entailed Hyosung buying engines from Suzuki, not the other way around, and those bikes weren't allowed to be sold outside of Asia.
 

·
site supporter
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
Lonely Raven said:
Things are done differently in Asia.

* * *​
(see the difference?).
Hyosung Motors is part of a chaebol, a Korean adaptation of the old Japanese zaibatsu business model. I represented a Hyosung company that sold steel in the US in a commercial case. The company has its roots in textiles, I believe. But now makes and sells a wide array of stuff.

Hyosung is where Hyundai was a decade ago in the car market... just beginning to make a mark in the US market. They already are an established (but non-domonant) name in EU and Australia. In time, they will learn what Americans want and will learn to make it reliably and sell that at a competitive price.

Laugh all you want. Honda scooters and VW Beetles used to be oddities in the US. Toyotas used to be laughed at for their outlandish chrome and awkward styling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Fatass SVS said:
Laugh all you want.
For a new bike company, the Hyosungs are getting decent reviews by people who actually ride them. USD forks, adjustable rearsets, vertical headlights, decent engines and gearboxes. Some folks complain about the stickers not being straight and such, but the more I read about them more it seems people are bashing them out of brand loyalty to Japan and not any evaluation of actually riding the new bikes.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one or anything, but I think that the OP's incredulity at being accused of having a Hyosung motor is emblematic of the problem. What if Hyosung made a better motor than the SV orginally had? Wouldn't matter, because Suzuki is a name that people respect, and Hyosung isn't, and even our cheap entry level bikes are still a status symbol. Heaven forbid we evaluate a product on its merits rather than its image.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top