Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I badly need to develop a dealer network around the US, but I simply dont have time. I work full time, run a business besides, and try my best to have a good family life. I just dont have time to travel for business.

So I have come to the conclusion that I NEED salespeople to do that work for me. The only problem is I dont have any experience hiring independent salesmen.

Can anyone tell me how that works? What contracts are needed? How do you handle the product (as in to show the customer and whatnot) and protecting myself from dishonest people who would say "Sure I'll sell it", and instead keep it and disappear.

Is anybody good at sales and wants to make some money?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
protecting myself from dishonest people who would say "Sure I'll sell it", and instead keep it and disappear.
I can be one of those people just so you have experience and know what to look out for in the future lol I try to plug your stuff any time I know someone is looking for a suit. Honestly, I am extremely good at sales and wish I had the time to help you but dont unfortunately. Good luck finding some good people and I will keep plugging you where I can.

·
Registered
917 Posts
independent sales people (door to door or walkinto businesses trying to sell bulk to them) will normally pay for the samples or initial product so that they have samples to provide and try to sell.

Or independents buy all product at specified cost from you and it is their job to sell then they keep the difference.

Or you provide samples free and hope they actually try to sell your stuff to make orders

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Dave, you need to talk to people in your business. Learn form their experiences; mine their contacts. Isn't there some sort of motorcycle industry trade council that you can join?

Also, don't overlook headhunters. They make their living matching businesses with experienced employees. The good ones can be relied on to do the screening for you -- checking references, verifying job histories, and steering you away from the bad apples. For a fee, of course....

Also, if you are that busy and not ready to give up your day job, maybe what you need is a experienced national sales manager. Let that person set up your sales network.

Another option might be to become a supplier to an already established distribution network, like Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited, Helmet House, or Sullivan's.

Glad to see you're ready to take your business to the next level. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Some friends of our's grandfather developed a tool to help with CV boot's. Made them in his barn. Made a whole bunch then took off in the RV and went to every auto store he could and showed them how it worked and took orders. Got back filled the orders a few years later he sold the patent for a couple million. Don't know if you have time, but it might be worthwhile to start with a radius from your own place. Hit all the shops especially any chains. Then for vacation time expand that radius. Just a thought.

Sounds like you would probably have to have regional reps also. A lot of times those reps will have a number of lines they carry. You might be able to get into those.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is, I SUCK at sales. I dont know what the heck Im doing when it comes to face-to-face salesmanship.

That's why I need a good sales guy (or guys). It is greatly a time issue, but far more than that unfortunately. I have no clue how to seal the deal.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, you need to talk to people in your business. Learn form their experiences; mine their contacts. Isn't there some sort of motorcycle industry trade council that you can join?
:dontknow:

Another option might be to become a supplier to an already established distribution network, like Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited, Helmet House, or Sullivan's.
Still takes a good sales guy to get your product into a distributor.
So the same issue, although, probably the way to go, instead of trying at all the dealers, go straight to the source distributor.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
The problem is, I SUCK at sales. I dont know what the heck Im doing when it comes to face-to-face salesmanship.

That's why I need a good sales guy (or guys). It is greatly a time issue, but far more than that unfortunately. I have no clue how to seal the deal.
Gotcha I know the feeling.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Dave, you should contact Brett. He could sell ketchup popsicles to eskimo nuns. Hit me up on the Book of Face if you don't have his info already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts