Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Does drinking every day make on an alcoholic?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 20 55.6%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Answer and post a response if you'd like.

Since I've gotten a summer job I've been drinking at least two beers a day after work and occasionally throwing in a tequila shot. This never happened while I was in school. Then again, I hate my job and I enjoy school. Drinking after work just feels like a good way to unwind.

This is a significant departure from my previous drinking style. Which was to drink only on the weekends and in large quantities with my friends. Now it's just a couple beers at a time but every evening by myself.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Sounds a very sensible routine Army. I do the same except its a glass of wine preparing dinner at night and another during dinner. Its fits both my taste and budget. Must admit when i cant have that routine im not a happy girl, bit like not having coffee in the morning i guess.
Its been 20 years since ive been drunk tho, hate the feeling of not being control.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am sure that there are "offical" papers that says otherwise, but I do not think so. With that being said I also think that it needs to be monitered so it does not turn into you being an alcholic.

Why not go out with friends? I would think that would help you unwind even better?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Have you ever missed work or important events with this current drinking style? Does it impact other areas of your life? I don't think it makes you an alcoholic.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you can stop at any time for long periods, then it's not an addiction in my view. Some become addicted physically and others mentally. There used to be a term used, social alcoholic. Those that could function well and go to work, but drank everyday. I don't know if that still is considered a proper definition by professionals in the field. In your case, if you found a job that you liked as well as school and found yourself no longer drinking every night, then it's just a means to cope with a situation. Drinking in moderation is much healthier than drinking large quantities all at once. As you get older, your kidneys and liver will thank you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't had a drop for a week and was fine with it...but a typical after work routine is pouring myself a glass of Jack and Dew.

If I know I have a road trip ahead, no alcohol days before just so it's easier to keep myself hydrated, and the heat down here can be a sweatbox.

For those with addictive personna's...probably not a good idea to do it daily.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
No, having that amount of beer daily doesn't make one an alcoholic.

Now the chastising part: WTF are you asking here for? How about using some that intelligence that occasionally shines forth and use it to ask people who are well-versed in this...like, say...I don't know...an AA rep?

I do believe you're on the path to alcoholism or death/AIDS, though, as you continually do stupid sh!t that more often than not involves copious amounts of alcohol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's AA's policy that if you think you have a problem then you're an alcoholic... That's not so much what's important here.

The best way to find out if you're an alcoholic is to stop for a week and see if you start feeling a need to drink. Drinking in moderation isn't in and of itself a bad thing but if it becomes a habit where how difficult your day has been impacts how much you drink it can lead to disaster.

Since you're asking here I think the best answer is to substitute drinking with some twisties.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's AA's policy that if you think you have a problem then you're an alcoholic... That's not so much what's important here.

The best way to find out if you're an alcoholic is to stop for a week and see if you start feeling a need to drink. Drinking in moderation isn't in and of itself a bad thing but if it becomes a habit where how difficult your day has been impacts how much you drink it can lead to disaster.

Since you're asking here I think the best answer is to substitute drinking with some twisties.
I like drinking. I like riding. I got a DUI once on a car 6 years ago, and have resolved to never drink and operate a motor vehicle again. I'm able to prioritize all these to separate my drinking, enjoying my motorcycle, and my personal life. I think if one is able to do that, they don't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Having a beer or w/e a day to unwind make you an alcy? no.

Now if you cant go without and get all antsy and stressed out without one? Yes.

a guy i work with has 1 in the morning before work, and maybe 6-10 every night when he gets home. Thats alcoholic.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The binge drinking has stopped. Now I don't usually have more than 3 drinks a night.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Have you ever missed work or important events with this current drinking style? Does it impact other areas of your life? I don't think it makes you an alcoholic.
Bingo

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
In and of itself, no, but in combination with other factors, it can certainly point to a problem. I don't know you enough (at all) to make that determination, but there's lots and lots and lots of checklists out there you can use to see if it's maybe something you should be concerned about.

I do agree that if it's not otherwise affecting the rest of your life, then it's not a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
I'm at the age where I'm SUPPOSE to drink a little every day, for the heart. Having one drink after work, or with a meal, can't be a problem in any sane World. I know the pleasure of a good cold beer on a hot day working in the yard. A gin and tonic on the porch in summer. A pitcher of margaritas with friends.

Drinking to get drunk I don't understand. Just get a big "how is that fun?" from it. If your not doing that and it's staying a drink or two what's the problem?

Besides the weight gain and money spent, of course.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Frequency and dependency are two very different things. Frequently having a drink doesn't make you an alcoholic. But if you find yourself NEEDING that drink and you feel like you don't have the ability to say "no" to it, that's when you can start sliding down that slippery slope into being an alcoholic.

If you have been known to binge drink and are now getting into the habit of having a drink every night, be careful. It sounds like it could become an addiction if you let it.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I'm at the age where I'm SUPPOSED to drink a little every day, for the heart. Having one drink after work, or with a meal, can't be a problem in any sane World. I know the pleasure of a good cold beer on a hot day working in the yard. A gin and tonic on the porch in summer. A pitcher of margaritas with friends.

Drinking to get drunk I don't understand. Just get a big "how is that fun?" from it. If your not doing that and it's staying a drink or two what's the problem?

Besides the weight gain and money spent, of course.
A lot of people drink to get drunk so they don't remember things and to avoid their problems. It's not for fun.

It's also an excuse for people to get away with for doing stupid things, drunk or not. I recall this girl who would "get drunk" and just lose it, she'd go dancing on tabletops and take off her clothes and everything. Some friends and I wondered if she was actually drunk, and at one party we replaced her beer with O'Doul's. She "got drunk" and did the tabletop dance routine in her skivvies. One guy told her that she wasn't actually drinking alcoholic beer, and she turned red from embarrassment (NOW, but never when naked), ran out with her clothes, and never came back to another of this group's parties... Much to the chagrin of some other guys. ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts