Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having yet another low speed track get-off this weekend at NJMP and predictably breaking off a turn signal, shearing off a couple of headlight tabs and bending the fairing stay, I want to get a race upper to replace my street S nose for the track. The thing is I don't want full or even the 3/4 fairings that Hotbodies and Sharkinz sells. Just extra unnecessary plastic to buy and break as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking something more like the size of the stock S nose... basically I'm looking for the smallest race upper available that can mount a bubble screen to tuck in behind. Bonus points if it uses the stock fairing stay so I can easily bolt up the stock gauges.

I tried searching and found nothing. Does such a thing exist, and if so, who makes it?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
After having yet another low speed track get-off this weekend at NJMP and predictably breaking off a turn signal, shearing off a couple of headlight tabs and bending the fairing stay, I want to get a race upper to replace my street S nose for the track. The thing is I don't want full or even the 3/4 fairings that Hotbodies and Sharkinz sells. Just extra unnecessary plastic to buy and break as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking something more like the size of the stock S nose... basically I'm looking for the smallest race upper available that can mount a bubble screen to tuck in behind. Bonus points if it uses the stock fairing stay so I can easily bolt up the stock gauges.

I tried searching and found nothing. Does such a thing exist, and if so, who makes it?
I use an FZR600 upper from Beasley.
For track day use though, why have anything? I raced like that for a year, it was fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any pics mounted on your SV? What did it take to mount it up? Can you still use the stock fairing stay + gauges?

The reason I want a fairing is that tucking in behind is the only way I can stay close to the bigger bikes on the long NJMP straight. I'm not a pro racer or anything but it's still really frustrating reeling somebody in all lap only for them to walk away on the straight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I use an FZR600 upper from Beasley.
For track day use though, why have anything? I raced like that for a year, it was fine.
hey you might know this. Can I race and/or do trackdays with just an exposed fairing stay? No actual plastic on it. Just the stock stay and my gauges.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I went to the track on my SV with no bodywork on it. Handlebars, Monster seat, exposed frame/forks up front.

A fairing stay is somewhat sharp, some providers want sharp bits covered.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I went to the track on my SV with no bodywork on it. Handlebars, Monster seat, exposed frame/forks up front.

A fairing stay is somewhat sharp, some providers want sharp bits covered.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. But then I got to looking at the stock stay and everything is kinda rounded. No real sharp edges. So idk. Guess I'd have to check with the organization in question.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Do you have any pics mounted on your SV? What did it take to mount it up? Can you still use the stock fairing stay + gauges?

The reason I want a fairing is that tucking in behind is the only way I can stay close to the bigger bikes on the long NJMP straight. I'm not a pro racer or anything but it's still really frustrating reeling somebody in all lap only for them to walk away on the straight.
No good photos, sorry.
We generally just fabbed a mount, but you can usually bend the aftermarket stays to work also. Never tried the stock one. Naked gauges work fine in the normal location, "S" gauges we remounted.

I think you're overvaluing the fairing though, it actually makes very little difference in your top speed.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
hey you might know this. Can I race and/or do trackdays with just an exposed fairing stay? No actual plastic on it. Just the stock stay and my gauges.
that's a horrible idea and would probably not pass tech. that's an additional something that could impale you

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
jsut get a set of full skinz. they protect the sides of the bike as well in an off. And they help the bike slide smoothly instead of tumbling.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jsut get a set of full skinz. they protect the sides of the bike as well in an off. And they help the bike slide smoothly instead of tumbling.
For most track riders, there's really no reason to run full plastics. They cost more to manufacture/paint, they're harder to mount and need constant repair/replacement after a crash. And for all that you get a marginal improvement in aerodynamics (while adding a marginal amount of extra weight) and maybe some extra protection for the hard parts*. Why a full fairing setup is the standard for amateur track day riders kinda baffles me... (especially amongst the normally cost/benefit conscious SV peoples)

Instead of full fairings, all I want is something that gives me most of the wind protection while being cheaper to buy, more crash-worthy and easier to swap. Doesn't have to be anything fancy either, just take the stock S nose shape, fill in headlight/turn-signal holes, and add two extra mounting brackets to emulate the way the stock headlight mounts into the fairing stay. I'm actually amazed that nobody makes something like this! Market it as a 15 minute direct swap for casual track day riders and I bet you'd sell a ton.

*SV doesn't need any puny plastics to protect it, it crashes like a champ! I've crashed my SV four of five times already with varying severity and each time it comes through almost unscathed - replace a clipon here, a rearset there or maybe a slider. Zero damage to the frame, the tank or the engine :rock:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
AFM requires a bellypan that contains fluids. It's easy to do that with full fairings.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
AFM requires a bellypan that contains fluids. It's easy to do that with full fairings.
faster classes in track day orgs at njmp do as well. CCS requires it. WERA requires it. It's generally a good idea so you don't oil down half a mile of track and your back tire...

·
Registered
513 Posts
that's a horrible idea and would probably not pass tech. that's an additional something that could impale you
Well damn. Guess I need to find a way to mount my gauge then. Was really hoping that would pass.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
faster classes in track day orgs at njmp do as well. CCS requires it. WERA requires it. It's generally a good idea so you don't oil down half a mile of track and your back tire...
huh, had never heard of it at trackdays before

1 - 20 of 27 Posts