Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
aerodynamics and whiplash protection, it helps to keep your head from bending too far backwards in a crash. if you landed on your back i suppose it could provide a little extra cushion too

·
Registered
46 Posts
The "pimp hump" will likely add some extra protection for your upper spine area (although you should still obviously wear a back protector) and protect from neck whiplash, and will also purportedly aid in aerodynamics (although I doubt it would provide that much of a difference for non-professional or expert riders).

I recall one posting from a member of socalsvriders.com that his doctor told him that the speed hump likely prevented damage to his upper vertabrae. Do a search on that website for the thread.

I think if you are choosing between otherwise identical suits (in terms of protection, quality, cost, ect...), then you should get the one with the speed hump. I actually ended up getting a suit without a speed hump since I got a great deal on that suit, and didnt want to spend an extra $500 just to get the suit with the hump. but humps are cool!! ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
there was this suit I saw in a GP once where it had this crazy sized hump on it. I think it was a japanese suit but the rider looked like he was a shark. I'd think if you got one, you couldnt wear a backpack cause it would get in the way. Still, the overall utility is lost on me.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've spent a lot of time on the CCS race board and this has been discussed there a few times.

The theory is that it levels out the back of your head and your back thus helping to prevent the back of the helmet from pushing against the back of your spine.
I've seen arguements about why this doesn't work.
I've never seen anyone argue the point either way that I would give sufficient credibility to.

I have one on my race leathers, even if they don't do sh*t they still look cool ;)
For neck protection I wear a Simpson neck collar, I've never seen anyone else wear one of these on the track despite the protection they add and that they're only ~$30...

·
Registered
286 Posts
donniej said:
I have one on my race leathers, even if they don't do sh*t they still look cool  ;)
For neck protection I wear a Simpson neck collar, I've never seen anyone else wear one of these on the track despite the protection they add and that they're only ~$30...
Well, that's because you're just... weird. :D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Marcos Santiago said:
But... can you shoulder check with the neck collar on?
What's a shoulder check?
No, I can't lick myself while wearing it either... ;D

Yes Greg, I am strange...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts