Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm a first time bike owner as of this past Sat and I was wondering if any of your parents / friends have disapproved  of you riding? 

Ever since my father's failed attempt to convincing me not to ride,  he hasn't spoken a word to me. I swear he is convinced that every rider ever to get on a bike has ended up severely injured or killed. I know he will never understand my decision- he thinks I'm being a wreckless thrill seeker (even though I 'm not riding the bike until after my safety course)...have any of you had similar situations at home or in your personal life? If so, how did you handle it?  This is definitely hard on me.

I'm definitely not a squiddish thrill seeker - I'm a 24 year old civil engineer who loves the engineering behind my machine and daydreams of the open roads when I should be designing them...but my dad still thinks I'm throwing it all away.

Does anyone know the statistics on what percentage of all riders who end up severely injured or killed? I'm sure it's under 10%, but my father of course thinks it's upwards of 75%.

Thanks

G

·
Well, let's hope you're "wreckless", and not "reckless".

The real answer is "It depends on you".

Google "hurt report" and read it.  The information is 30 years old, but pretty much all still true.  If you receive no training, wear no gear, drink, speed, and do all the other stupid stuff, yeah, you'll end up injured or dead.  

Take some reasonable precautions and you'll not only reduce the chances that you'll get into an accident by about 97%, you'll have more fun and be a better rider.

Spazumo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spazumo Osaka said:
Well, let's hope you're "wreckless", and not "reckless".
;)
  I guess  it's true that engineers can't spell....

thanks for the info though

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
see my dad approves of me ridin my mom kinda worries but she can't really say any thing because she married my dad because he had a bike. my friends well my guy friends don't care (a few ride most are just like don't kill your self and leave it there) the girl friends on the other hand are usually worried, for example i got a voice mail from my friend marissa and it was her screaming at me for not wearing a jacket some thing like "i saw you riding with out a jacket do you know what could happen if you fall blah blah blah....." the funny part is it wasn't me i wasn't even riding that day. and yah my girl friend rides with me alot so no complaints from her.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I am spoiled. Both my parents have ridden since before I was born. Everyone in my family rides. Between the five of us, we have 8 bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wife: Admits it's Hot when I ride.  8)

Friends: Most ride or have ridden, and Just say keep it safe.  ;)

Dad: Used to ride, only lectured me once about the dangers (only because of Mom)  ;D

Mom: Doesn't like it but accepts it, and usually mentions something about it once a month.  ::)

Usually my experiences are that those that ride, are different in the fact that they crave freedom, and those that are totall straight and narrow, bland life are the ones that are against riding.

Welcome to the site and congrats on a getting a great bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dad had bikes his entire like, and my stepmom got one at one point and kept that a couple years, they both actually pressured me into getting a bike when I was 17 or so and i never went through with it.. im 22 now and riding a beater 250 and in the market for an sv, most of my gear has been handed down to me too

·
Registered
114 Posts
My friends are fine with it.
My parents are ok as long as I have my will updated  ::) but they also have 2 Goldwings - one trike and one 2 wheeler. They don't wear as much gear as I do so I'm the one that has the problem with them riding and not being as protected as they can be, but that's for another thread.
My husband is the one that has the hardest time with me riding. He hates it, although he does keep his opinion to himself, most of the time. He just doesn't want to see me get hurt, and I can understand his thinking - but he does respect my passion for riding so he supports me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My friends just tell me to becareful but they all wanna take a ride with me :-D I even got a few of my friends started in the right direction ;-)

My parents....well lets just say that they have no clue that i have one... ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
my father bought me a scooter when I was 11. so he wasn't against me riding. mom didn't care one way or the other. at 16 after, 3 small bikes I wanted to get a bigger bike. my father tried to change my mind by telling me that I was going through a faze in my life where I wanted bikes and it would pass. that was in 1966 and I'm still FAZIN. if I stop now I'll just seize up. :p ;D

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
At first my parents hated my riding, but more recently I have talked to them a lot about it and they know I am as safe as I can be and how much I enjoy it. I don't think that they will ever be happy about it but they don't hate it the way that they used to.
My friends either ride themselves, or think it is really cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My parents forbid me to get a bike... but I got one anyway and didn't tell them. I'm 22, and live on my own, yeesh. My father knows I ride now, but we have to keep it a secret from my mother :-X . My father is not too happy that I ride, but he knows I'm a responsible person. The real reason why they are so against it is because about 10 years ago a good friend of theirs was killed on a bike. But my father can't really say anything because he used to ride when he was my age, my grandfather used to race motorcycles up at Watkins Glen, and his father rode too. It's in our blood.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
My wife works in a hospital and is still seeing her share of "the ones that survive"
Some of the stories she shares are pretty horrific and it was a long time before she
came around where I could make a case to get a bike.

I finally broke it down to three questions:

1.  Was he drunk or high?
2.  Was he wearing gear?
3.  Was he doing something stupid?

Here is the funny fact ...
Gear wearing riders usually are banged up or have a broken bone.
Their injuries are relatively minor compared to some of the gory ones I heard.

Now the squids, believe me there is no shortage of them and their capacity for pain is nothing short of mind boggling!  

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Here's a take from someone from your father's generation, if not your grandfather's.

I got my first street bike three day's after my 16th birthday. My dad tossed me out for a couple of nights. When he realized I wouldn't back down, he supported my riding, but was always convinced I was crazy. Not one to show concern, he hid his fears well, but I could still tell my riding was a worry.

I'm sure my dad thought I would get myself killed, and I came close as a young man in college. His approach was those that brought me into this world were the only ones (or things) that should be privileged to take me out at the time of their choosing. I suspect there were more than a few times he came perilously close to making that decision.

Both my daughter and my son ride. They are older than you. I worry about them constantly. Truth be told, I almost wish they didn't ride. Still, I would never want it taken away from them for I know how much they enjoy it and how much I enjoy riding.

Prove to your parents that you are a responsible rider. Do everything you can to lessen their concerns and make their lives easier. They deserve it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
at first thats all you hear about
my friends are mostly cool with it. they either ride or are planning to.
my mom on the other hand, didn't like it at first then i took MSF and got my license. Now shes discomforted by my riding but she's used to it. me thinks she might have life insurance policy on me.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
im old...my parents dont care what i do now.... 8)

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
My friends don't really care if I ride or not as a long as I stay alive. I haven't told my parents that I have a bike nor that I ride one. Not sure when I will either???

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
My Mom and Dad got me into riding when I was 11(Motocross). I come from a riding family so no issues there, it has always been part of it for us. My Wife likes me out taking chances as long as the life ins is paid up, and my kids love to ride with me. I get it mostly from co-workers that dont ride. Always running up to ask me if im going to stop riding after the latest accident report. (I always reply : would you stop driving if someone you know were in an accident?) Its simple: Buy and wear all your protective gear, no matter how hot it is, never ride without a helmet, ride as if you are invisible to all traffic (even if they are looking right at you) and avoid as many intersections as possible. I think the most common accident is still a car making a left turn in front of you because they dont see you. People are more busy in thier cars today than ever before. Maybe avoid traffic all together for your 1st 6 mos and stay out in the country on two lane roads. You will need to learn how to handle your bike first, then worry about traffic. If you can, get yourself a dirtbike to gain experience of how a motorcycle works when sliding, its priceless experience. Good Luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
449 Posts
no one that knows me are all that crazy about me riding. In some cases I cant determine if they feel that way because they care about me or its some kind of plan to ultimately control my life. My destiny.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts