Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate to sound like the arrogant one, but I don't feel like they are in the same caliber as a true 2 wheeler. Initially when those machines hit the market I was a bit thrilled, then I did homework. Automatic transmission? Power steering?? Let me guess, they have A/C as well?? Then comes their ridiculous price tag.
You might as well just get a Smart Car! Cheaper, and you can converse with the person riding with you.

It's worse than a Gold Wing with 3 wheels. I've seen a few riders fully geared up(leathers) around town on a cam am. I'm glad they are being safe about riding, but this doesn't strike me as an appropriate "motorcycle." It's like a solution for not getting a moped when you couldn't pass your motorcycle safety course because shifting gears was "too hard" for you.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.

*I apologize to anyone on this forum who owns a cam-am, you should know better*

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you man, but they should put a section up just for waving rants.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Wave to everyone on less than 4 wheels with an engine. Don't expect a return. Then you'll be happy when someone does wave back instead of disappointed when they don't. That's what I do.

·
Registered
760 Posts
^^^ what he said...

I never really understood the whole spyder appeal, now I went to my local bike dealer who also sells Spyders and I am even more confused.

Not only are they big, they are really expensive. I could buy a brand new Triumph Speed Triple R for commutes and trips and a Triumph Thruxton for weekend bike shows, and still have money left for the price of a Can-Am...

I have no idea why (other than a disability) you would buy one.

But yes I do wave

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did it ever occur to you that some people might have back problems or some other ailment that prohibits them from riding 2 wheel bike but the Spyder allows them to still be on the road and enjoying being out in the open air. Today is ride to work day. I saw the usual riders I see in the morning that wave to me. But there was a scooter rider that also waived to me and I waived back. I didn't feel stupid or uncool nor did I chase him down and bludgeon him with the nearest large rock because he chose to ride a scooter. With all the a-holes we have to deal with on a daily basis, riding your azz, rolling through stop signs in front of you, swerving into your lane because of their phone activities, and then again even off the bike, I'm not going to take wave from another human being that is trying to enjoy himself in a similar fashion as I am as a bad thing. If you were stranded in the middle of death valley or anywhere remote and someone on a Spyder came by and offered you gas or whatever to get you going, are you going to refuse it because he's riding a three-wheeler? J.F.C...what's wrong with people?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
They can't balance two wheels? Which is sad.

I always joke with my girlfriend that other bikers are all my friends and that's why I wave.
I test drove a Can-Am out of curiosity sake, if you corner hard on one you had better be ready to balance on two wheels, the inside front wheel will come a foot off of the ground if you push it enough

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Why is everyone so concerned about who to wave to? It's not like we're a freaking cult.

If you look at enough of these threads you will see one common denominator, the vast majority of people concerned with who or what to wave at have been riding (or at least registered on here) less than 2 seasons.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm just gonna copy and paste what I wrote in a thread about waving to scooters on SBN:

I don't see what the big deal is. If you're on two wheels, I point two fingers down towards the road. If you're on three, I snicker and laugh in my helmet and point three fingers down to the road. If I see you debating on turning out in front of me and you decide not to, I wave and nod or give a thumbs up. Do people wave back? I have no clue, I'm not looking for their acceptance or validation, I'm just acknowledging that they are more or less having a similar experience and it costs me nothing at all except 1/100th of a calorie to move my clutch hand off of the bar and point down to the asphalt. I wave to people on bicycles, scooters, big wheels, trikes and mopeds too, I don't really keep count and I'm rarely paying enough attention to them to notice what they're riding when I'm on my own bike.

Of course after I wave, I shake my head disapprovingly and point at my helmet or gear when it's a squid. I'm like a Sour Patch Kid that way.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I hate to sound like the arrogant one, but I don't feel like they are in the same caliber as a true 2 wheeler.
So you're *better* than them for being on a true 2 wheeler?

Seriously.... another effing waving thread?
Another effing "do you wave to can-am riders" thread, even.

Ugh, human instinct towards group identity, no matter how tenuous that group identity may be, is strong.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't realize so many people would be aggravated over it. Sorry to have you all heated up over a question. My arrogance lies in the fact I thought we did more work leaning over in a corner than to have p/s assisting and shifting gears. Sure, to each their own. Have fun on whatever you ride, we all have opinions just like our choice in 2-3-4 wheels. Thought it was a fun topic but I guess it's been beat to death too many times by us novice folk who have been riding "less than two seasons."

·
Registered
747 Posts
I must be a dick, because I rarely wave at anyone. There's just too many people out on motorcycles/scooters/can-ams/whatever, to be waving all the time.
Sure, it was neat when just the 'rebellious few' rode motorcycles, but come on, it's 2012, almost everyone is out on a bike.
I can't get away from it, even in my Jeep.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts