Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing it lately for higher visibility. If I see someone nudging out on a cross street sometimes I'll flash low/high to make sure they see me. Had a fool act like he was going to cut out in front of me once but saw me at the last second and scared the hell out of me. Since then I've been really paranoid of cross traffic. I've seen the cruisers with the alternating bright/dim lights and they really get your attention. Bottom line is, no matter what you do people just don't pay attention.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Brights on during the day, off at night unless I'm clear.
Same here, but as a courtesy I'll switch to low beams when sitting close behind cars at stoplights. Drivers seem to appreciate it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No.

Being visible is one thing, being annoying and distracting is another. This goes for those idiotic headlight modulators as well.

If I want to be visible, I will wear a high-viz vest.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yessir. I'd rather be annoying than DEAD! If my high beam allows one granny to spot me in my entire lifetime, it's worth it.

Both my high and low beams are 100w (gotta love H3s!)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just started doing this last month. It is one more tool to stay visable. While we are here, please remember situational awareness. Too many people focus on one thing and never see the real danger comming from a different direction. Keep your eyes and head moving. Not terettes moving but not straight ahead all the time either.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I always ride with high beams on during the day. It's legal for motorcycles and is recommended by MSF and some DMVs. I do not at night.

You may want to be careful with flashing lo/hi/lo/hi because some people take that to mean that you want them to go ahead and you give up your right of way. Instead, I swerve a little left to right in my lane so they see some sideways movement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Highbeams ALWAYS during the day. Like someone said my MSF course taught that. And at night too unless im right near someone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I always ride with high beams on during the day. It's legal for motorcycles and is recommended by MSF and some DMVs. I do not at night.

You may want to be careful with flashing lo/hi/lo/hi because some people take that to mean that you want them to go ahead and you give up your right of way. Instead, I swerve a little left to right in my lane so they see some sideways movement.
+1..

I swerve in lane as well, allows me to be a bit more visible as most people don't look out for bikes and they are small enough for people to not see during the 3 nanosecond glance at oncoming traffic. IF they don't see a big object (at times even if they do see a big object) they will jump out in traffic. I guess they figgered oncoming traffic has brakes, they can use them.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
My low beams are already 80 watts so it's already like I have my high beams on.
You should check the bulb's connector and harness periodically. High wattage bulbs like the one you got have a tendency to melt the plastic connector/harness. So does running the high beams all the time.

No, I don't use the high beams in the day.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
+1..

I swerve in lane as well, allows me to be a bit more visible as most people don't look out for bikes and they are small enough for people to not see during the 3 nanosecond glance at oncoming traffic. IF they don't see a big object (at times even if they do see a big object) they will jump out in traffic. I guess they figgered oncoming traffic has brakes, they can use them.

+1 couldn't have said it better. I'm also planning to switch to a brighter, halogen bulb.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I ride with my 8000k high beams on during daytime. I'm VERY noticeable. I've seen people "almost" swerve in my lane many times (I'm always prepared for it if they would have) but the HID brights catches their attention.

One of my beams is also angled so that it goes further in the opposite lane of traffic (to catch the attention of left turners) so I have a distinct light pattern even if the high beams are off.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts