Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing the motocross type handguqrds for winter riding to block the wind and install hand warmers. Who has them and what works? Would like to see some pics too.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't, do you ride in sub 30F weather a lot? Regular winter gauntlets + fleece liner is comfortable down to low 30's

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I think Wally has a set of the Hippo things on his bike. Goofy looking, but he swears by them. I have simple heated grips installed; they're good deep into the forties with my summer perforated gloves. Below that I need my winter gloves with them.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Heated gloves here, that connect to my heated jacket liner. Toasty warm into the upper 30's

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
I had hand guards for 10yrs along with heated grips on a K75. For me, that combo worked great. I tried heated gloves (Widder), that snap connected to a heated vest, but didn't like the bulky feel; couldn't get a good grip on the bars.

Don't forget heated vests, they go a long way towards keeping your hands and feet warm. If the body core is cold, blood flow is restricted to the extremities in order to maintain vital organ heat.

Adding 45W supplemental has the opposite affect; electrically warmed blood flows out, radiator style, to warm your digits.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would go down to the forties at most. I have those big winter gloves but they are like snow mobile gloves and I can barely feel or bend them to work the levers.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Fieldsheer Overgloves for $10-15. They are worn like Split-fingered mittens over your regular gloves and provide a windbreak, making your regular gloves more effective.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I thought I'd seen several guys running Vstrom hand guards that didnt look terrible... The thought has crossed my mind a few times with my woods riding background I loved having them on my MX bikes.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've had them on all of my dirtbikes and dualsports, but more for protection than blocking the wind. On that front I can't imagine that they would do much to help keep your hands warmer, warm gloves would work much better.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
When it's just kinda chilly outside, I ride with handguards. They do a decent job deflecting the wind off of your hands:

When it gets really cold, I install my fugly but ride-saving muffs:

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fieldsheer Overgloves for $10-15. They are worn like Split-fingered mittens over your regular gloves and provide a windbreak, making your regular gloves more effective.
these have potential. Easier than wiring up heated hand grips

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Owned these, tried them, they sucked.

Did the DL650 handguards, they're PRETTY GOOD to 30* but don't help at all below that.

I'm trying to find the handlebar covers I have now. I used to have snowmobile mitt covers but they were too bulky. The ones I have now I ordered from the UK and they have holes for the mirrors and brake reservoir. Lemme find the name when I get home... EDIT: THESE

Anyways, the handlebar covers plus heated grips equals good to at least 14*. (it hasn't gotten colder). I wear SUMMER gloves with this combo. The worst part of winter is the wind.

I also wear a $200 fieldsheer cyclone suit and rain proof boot covers over my sidis.

I have a heated jacket but have yet to hook it up. Something tells me that once I do, I'll never go back lol. I wish there was a helmet warmer out there...

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Handguards? Meh. Heated grips? Got 'em, love 'em, but still not enough. You want cold weather protection?

Behold. The ultimate in style, protection, and class. The 1966 Vintage Bates 700A Touring Fairing:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
before V-strom handguards were around, I installed a set of KLR handguards, they were pretty much bolt on with the KLR standoff hardware, had to do some dremel tool mod to clear the rectangular master cylinder reservoir, the KLRs were molded for a round reservoir

my Vstrom is a 1k so it came with handguards, they make a difference by keeping the windblast off, thats about it, still need heated grips and or heated gloves depending on how cold it is

HippoHands or similar product are awesome with heated grips, just wear yer normal summer gloves underneath

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've FirstGear heated gloves...even without the heat, they work rather well. They're flexible enough to not feel like mittens, but thick enough to keep the cold out...any colder than that, and I plug them up.
Which ones did you get? I have the carbon ones and they lasted for a week before they stopped providing heat. I sent them back and am waiting for a refund but I've reordered the same model from motorcycle-superstore. I'm hoping I just had a crappy pair the first go around.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

ya only have to wire heated grips once, headed gloves require fishing wires down yer sleeves or at least fumbling to plug the gloves in every time you use them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts