Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the SV650S yesterday and the employee was talking about how you can add this at time of purchase. He didn't say if it covered normal checkups i.e. break in period check up.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
it doesn't include any schduled maintenance. it's a piece of mind to be covered on certain things once the factory warranty has run out. it's a personal decision - some people are going to say get it, others will say leave it and it's a waste of money.

i got it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They are betting that nothing they cover will break. You are betting it will break by buying the extra coverage. I always figure that if I have no faith in it lasting beyond the standard warranty, I should buy something else.

It's your money, you decide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yea just make sure you know what you are getting for what you are paying. i think i got suckered into some stuff that i didnt need for a few hundred extra..

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents.......

As some of you know...... I am in the car business. In fact, I am a finance manager, I am the guy who tries to sell the extended warranties to you, as you come in to pick up your new car.........

With that being said, I believe in extended warranties, I DO get them on all the cars I buy, and sometimes on appliances if the price is correct.

I also have a great relationship with the dealer I bought my bike at, so I asked the service manager what he thought, his opinion....... he sees so few problems with the SV650's that he said to skip it. I have till November to decide on it......... still thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have 118,000 trouble free miles on my SV if that might make any influence on your decision, I think they are a waste of money personally, although I do sometimes get extended warranties on electronic stuff sterio, speakers (especially) vcr, cd player etc. not tv's or other household appliances

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Well one option that I noticed yesterday was to purchase it from Oneida for 378 bucks instead of the 580 bucks that the dealer quoted me.

I am willing to spend that amount for the piece of mind.  Almost 600, well that leans more towards the no, I am not going to get it.

www.oneidasuzuki.com

Click on the second link in the left column when the page loads  " Suzuki SEPP "

As for shipping from these guys, everyone complains on the initial 8 bucks they charge,  I ordered a bunch of stuff and the 8 bucks seem to be the initial.  With all the added stuff I ordered the the additional charges came up to 10 bucks total.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To answer your post question, No I never get extended warranties. I do all of my own maintenance/repair anyway (as well as other people's bikes).

However, as someone else stated it is personal preference. Just be careful, there are a lot of scams the finance managers will throw in to buff up the price. I bought my Gixxer 1000 for $9600 in 2004, on the same day the finance manager sold the exact same bike for 11,400 (with extended this and that).

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's a gamble, and though you can't affect the odds you can affect the ante. Extended warranties are good items to bargain for. When I bought my '01 the dealer didn't want to move on the price enough, so I negotiated for at-cost pricing on a jacket and an Arai helmet and the extended warranty at no cost. Generally the extended warranties have a very high markup so they are ripe for negotiation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I learned my lesson about extended warranties a few years ago. i used to hate them and think they were a waste of money, but when i bought a 700 dollar video camera i said i don't need a warranty this thing cost seven hundred bucks and is a Sony. well four months after i bought it and factor warranty ran out in 3 it broke a tape got stuck in it and i still cant get it out. so my vote is yes buy it. its only a couple hundred more but that one time you use it it will be worth it if not its piece of mind

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got it for $600 CDN for an extra 4 years that meant I had a warranty for 5 years with unlimited clicks. Uh, yeah. Great deal when I got my bike. Apparently where I am, not sure if where its offered but they are offering a new better warranty in September that includes road side assistance. Considering the price of parts and service its worth it.

To answer the author's question is does not support scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, its was worth it for me. imo, 3 years unlimited miles for $599.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think extended warranties exclude a lot more than regular maintenance

the most likely thing to go, the RR, is that covered ? does it cover (fork) seals, peeling tach face?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I didn't- it wasn't worth spending the $$ to me. The dealers don't even want to cover the shit that's on your regular warranty.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
On expensive electronics? Yes...on cars and bikes? Never again. I got the stupid warranty on my car I bought last year and the one f'n thing that is not covered broke. The fuse box melted a little and it isn't covered. I couldn't believe it. So yeah, never again on any mode of transportation.

·
Registered
787 Posts
well i bought mine but i feel like a sucker, cuz from what i hear the sv is almost bullet proof but it was for peice of mind at the time, most likely it was a waste and i could have spent the money on other cool stuff for the bike. blaaaaaaa :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
"Extended warranty? How can i lose?!"
-- homer simpson. ;D

sorry, love that quote.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts