Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing my brake pads this morning and one of the brake pad clips spronged across my garage, never to be found again. My thought was if it was this difficult removing the clips, re-installation was going to be a real pain in the ass. So I did a few searches on SVR and found this old post:

Lost rear brake clip

It got me thinking, what is the function of the clips. So I poked around some more, including going to the always-helpful blueproof site, where she did a writeup on changing the rear pads.

Blueproof

Looking at her pics I noticed that my clips were installed backwards compared to hers. The little tab shape in the clip that goes over the pad pointed outward (away from each other) on mine, while hers pointed inward (toward each other).

Blueproof's clips:
Hood Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

I confirmed this with the service manual. Bottom line, my clips were reversed all along, functionally doing nothing. If that is the case. Why should I bother with them?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would not like to run without them as they help keep the pads from chattering.

Here in the UK they are readily available off eBay,

Brake Pad Clips

However there seems to be a lack of them on US eBay :(

You can make your own possibly out of a wire coat hanger or welding rod ?

PS

Years ago I made an anti-squeal plate for one of my Honda's front brakes by cutting one out of a Sardine tin top<grin> :D

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Years ago I made an anti-squeal plate for one of my Honda's front brakes by cutting one out of a Sardine tin top
Now that's funny! Maybe I can make a clip out of a coat hanger.

It's strange that my clips were installed 180 degrees ass backwards, rendering them useless, and I had no chatter. Another question, upon reassembly, could I not put the caliper back together first (pads, clips and all), and then slip it into place over the rotor? When I do car brake jobs, that's what I do. It seems it would be much easier to install the clips with the caliper disconnected from the carrier.

Lastly, when doing a motorcycle brake job, do you ever apply anti-squeak stuff (Brake Quiet, the red stuff) to the back of the pads? I use this when doing car brakes.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yes. I remove the caliper and press the pads back with a C-clamp with some masking tape on the faces and then slip that into the disc. Way easier and faster in the long run.

Yes also to the grease on the back of the pads but sparingly :)

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bud. Now I simply need to order the rebuild kit and pads. You mentioned in another post that the EBC HH pads are fine for non-competitive riding. That's the direction I'm going.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks bud. Now I simply need to order the rebuild kit and pads. You mentioned in another post that the EBC HH pads are fine for non-competitive riding. That's the direction I'm going.
I've used EBC for years. Never let me down yet but I use the Standard Organic ones,

EBC Brake Pads

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
My Gen 2 doesn't have any sort of clips on it either. The caliper holder also holds the pads in place once it's on the bike.
And yeah, EBC HH pads are good. I've done track days on them and they do start to fade a bit toward the end of the sessions, but fine for the street.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those clips were only on the first gen SV's as the caliper was situated differently than the 03+

Rebuild kits sometime will surprise you and may come with a new set of them... Not the AllBalls stuff though, I just check their site since that was what I used to rebuild all my stuff. They're not listed on the parts list for the kit and they're sold out of rear caliper kits anyway... so that was less than helpful. :/

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for looking Burn. I found one from Brake Crafters that should fit the bill. My pistons are fine, so I mainly need the seals and pins. BTW, I found the clip that flew across the garage. Having both of them now, I will go ahead and reinstall them when I zip things back together.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks for looking Burn. I found one from Brake Crafters that should fit the bill. My pistons are fine, so I mainly need the seals and pins. BTW, I found the clip that flew across the garage. Having both of them now, I will go ahead and reinstall them when I zip things back together.
I found my float pins had corrosion. I sanded them off with some 500 grit and then metal polished them up before applying Red brake grease. I did this on the Front as well until I fitted some new pins :)

I used to use ACF50 on the caliper bolts but after reading on some Boat forums I've switched to Dielectric grease as those guys know about corrosion resistance but ACF50 is good as well ;-)

Dielectric Grease USA

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strat, I thought you used ACF50 on EVERTTHING.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Now that's funny! Maybe I can make a clip out of a coat hanger.

It's strange that my clips were installed 180 degrees ass backwards, rendering them useless, and I had no chatter. Another question, upon reassembly, could I not put the caliper back together first (pads, clips and all), and then slip it into place over the rotor? When I do car brake jobs, that's what I do. It seems it would be much easier to install the clips with the caliper disconnected from the carrier.

Lastly, when doing a motorcycle brake job, do you ever apply anti-squeak stuff (Brake Quiet, the red stuff) to the back of the pads? I use this when doing car brakes.

Thanks guys.
If I were to attempt fabricating such a clip, I'd use a 2mm stainless bicycle spoke.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were to attempt fabricating such a clip, I'd use a 2mm stainless bicycle spoke.
That's a helleva suggestion, considering the springiness of the spoke. Fortunately, I found the runaway clip.

Reactions: Straticus
1 - 15 of 15 Posts