Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I condition my leathers once a year. If the bugs come off then good for the bugs. Otherwise they get washed in the rain/fog or just form another layer of protection. Same for my helmet. The visor is cleaned when necessary, but otherwise there are 10's of thousands of miles worth of bugs obscuring my white Arai forehead sticker.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
NO! ..the protien from thier juices is actually a natural leather conditioner, never, never clean them off, after a while, you will also achive a total waterproof coating. You cant buy this kind of stuff in stores......really. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bug exoskeletons are formed with Chitin which is fairly strong, for how much you get.

Get enough of it and as forementioned, you get a whole new layer of protection.

Not much, but every bit counts :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
On a related note: though I clean nothing that I wear, I've gotten pretty anal about cleaning my fork tubes after nearly every ride. I think dried bugs really wreck fork seals (mine have been replaced twice at exact 17K intervals so far)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I call the little guys smashed up on the screen, lights, forks, as well as the critters that wind up on the leathers hitchhikers.

They're just along for the ride.

Speaking of which...

What's the last thing that goes through a bugs mind as it hits the windscreen?

Its butt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only time my gear gets cleaned is when I need to put some polish on my old Alpinestar Highpoints, or cleaning the visor so I can see.  I find that riding at high speeds in the rain works best to get dead bugs off, sort of pressure washing type effect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't tell this to the vegetarian guy who wanted non leather gloves. He may quit riding b/c he is killing something in the process. LOL jk. I wet a towel and wipe my jacket down every now and then, when it gets bad and noticeable from afar.

G

·
Never! It's how I gauge the age of my gear. When I can no longer see cowhide or color, or there's a crowd of 20 or more buzzards circling over the scent trail I leave me whenever I ride, time for new jacket. ;D

Also good for emergency rationss when stranded in desert. MRE on the cuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.