Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some tank risers on e-bay that lift the stock tank up 1/2".
The claim is that it improves performance and it adds a few HP. Is that true?
After searching, I couldn't find any threads that concur or refute that raising the tank helps with engine performance.
As well, I saw a thread a while back where someone found something cheap at Ace hardware that was pretty similar.
Can anyone with more knowledge give their opinion on SV tank risers, or remember the thread about the Ace hardware find?

Thanks,
SiouxsieCat

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am a skeptic. I would like to see someone dyno their stock SV, then raise the tank with some washers and do it again. I would think that replacing the stock air filter with a K&N unit would get you more power than raising your tank. Just guesswork on my part.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I am a skeptic. I would like to see someone dyno their stock SV, then raise the tank with some washers and do it again. I would think that replacing the stock air filter with a K&N unit would get you more power than raising your tank. Just guesswork on my part.
When you put it on a dyno you will not see any difference because you don't have any wind speed (ram air effect).

Some say it increase power, but i don't use them.

A K&N filter will not give extra power, the sv airbox and filter is pretty good and that's why many racers keep using their stock filter on a second gen.
The only advantage is that you can clean the K&N.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A K&N filter will not give extra power, the sv airbox and filter is pretty good and that's why many racers keep using their stock filter on a second gen.
The only advantage is that you can clean the K&N.
I also found that I got better gas mileage with a stock air filter over my K&N.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I tested this with a G-Tech Pro and on a dyno. No difference with or without risers. No difference on the dyno with the tank propped up.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
I tested this with a G-Tech Pro and on a dyno.
Hi Andy,
I just bought a G-Timer GT1 by Passport in order to sort out the big power difference I feel between my naked K3 and naked K7.

How did your G-Tech Pro work out for you? Did you program it up so that it would give HP reading, or did you just look at acceleration?

·
Registered
799 Posts
tank risers are not used to get power. it is to move hot air out from under tank faster or easier.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I did a bunch of acceleration runs back to back. No difference. On the dyno we were able to raise and lower the tank easily, tried a few different positions.

Get the hot air out? Maybe when you're not moving? There's a lot of airflow under the tank at speeds as low as 20 MPH. There's a lot of room under there already.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Get the hot air out? Maybe when you're not moving? There's a lot of airflow under the tank at speeds as low as 20 MPH. There's a lot of room under there already.
faster you go faster air flows through there, does it not? bigger the hole easier for air to flow, is it?
btw. you get little side flow through there with faired bike. all the hot air from engine and radiator goes right under tank. lifting it up helps move this air out.
and yes, I have been testing this, your dyno is worthless for this.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The question is how much turnover do you have under the tank with and without risers. The difference in temperature buildup between the two setups is zip, nada. It's easy to check this also. You can buy inexpensive probe-type thermometers (generally used for A/C service, to read temperature coming out of the vents). Put one high under the tank and go for a ride, once with and once without risers. Same temp.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents....although slightly biased..since I make and sell risers, along with quick release tank kits.

Do they really work? I honestly do not know.

Do I have track guys that swear by them? yes

Will I continue to make and sell as long as people ask for them? yes

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
FWIW, on a first gen at least they seem to help. We went back and forth one day at Texas World, they were worth 100-150 RPM on the front straight. I was surprised.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents....although slightly biased..since I make and sell risers, along with quick release tank kits.

Do they really work? I honestly do not know.

Do I have track guys that swear by them? yes

Will I continue to make and sell as long as people ask for them? yes

:) I am in the same biased position as Doug,

I also make and sell them, and have racers who swear by and love them,

Likewise, they will continue to be a stocking item,

Factory Pro also seems to be a believer, as they include a version in some of their upper end Jet Kits, and claim to have tested and determined that they are beneficial,

I also believe that the comments regarding increased air flow around the engine being beneficial are correct,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,

·
Registered
799 Posts
The question is how much turnover do you have under the tank with and without risers. The difference in temperature buildup between the two setups is zip, nada. It's easy to check this also. You can buy inexpensive probe-type thermometers (generally used for A/C service, to read temperature coming out of the vents). Put one high under the tank and go for a ride, once with and once without risers. Same temp.
at what speed did you test this?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts