Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i normally wear skate shoes when i ride. occasionally i will wear my work boots (which are falling apart and 3 yrs old.) so recently after reading Ben's thread about boots... i was(am still) considering buying a pair of boots. boots that i would wear only for riding...
does wearing bots made specifically for riding have any affect on you or your riding? or is it just more of a safety thing to wear your boots?
i have been considering the icon superduty 2 boots... if any of you have some good AFFORDABLE suggestion...post up!
I'm looking for boots that i will only wear when i ride my bike, but ones that wont look funny when I'm not riding...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
for street riding, it is more on how comfortable they are. ex. wearing full race leather boots in 100 deg weather is going to screw up my riding more than help it.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
If you crash you might not have your ankles ground down to the bone or have a spranged or broken ankle. But while riding the bike I don't think they add to your abilities or capabilities. Think of them like helmets for your feets.

:)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Eh, Nex, I beg to differ. My boots (Sidi Strada Tepors) have a toe-cap that's not unlike a steel-toe boot. Sure they're safe, but there's something about not having the shifter dig into your foot when you shift. It's much more precise and has a very positive feeling. I know my missed shifts have gone down as a result of wearing proper motorcycling boots. So I feel there is some benefit beyond safety. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i have a pair of icon motorhead boots, they're relatively cheap and very comfortable, i can easily wear them all day and still have the protection i need and want

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
orangegilly said:
Eh, Nex, I beg to differ.  My boots (Sidi Strada Tepors) have a toe-cap that's not unlike a steel-toe boot.  Sure they're safe, but there's something about not having the shifter dig into your foot when you shift.  It's much more precise and has a very positive feeling.  I know my missed shifts have gone down as a result of wearing proper motorcycling boots.  So I feel there is some benefit beyond safety.  My $0.02.
+1...i always like "feeling" that i hit the right gear

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
A good set of sport/touring boots is a great investment, IMO.  I've got a pair of Hein Gericke All Season boots.  They've got a leather shell (no plastic "Storm Trooper" look) with a rubber sole that's comfortable for walking in.  There's a Sheltex (waterproof, similar to Gore-Tex) membrane for wet weather, and the shin and ankle areas are armored with an extra layer of padding.  They're comfortable all year 'round, offer a whole lot more protection than any street shoe, and don't look alarmingly different from most daily wear.  Whether I'm riding in full gear, or just puttering down to the grocery store in jeans and a jacket, I wear them.  

You can find similar boots in the $100-150 range from a number of different companies- have a look at Alpinestars Roam and Web Gore-Tex boots, Sidi Champion or Way boots, Joe Rocket Revolution or Reactor boots, or First Gear Kilimajaros.  I'm sure there are a lot more on the market, too.

HTH

Bill

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Another thing to consider with good boots is the spine or vertebrae that protect the achilles tendon.

Broken bones tend to heal fairly fast when compared to a ruptured or severed achilles tendon.
That will take close to a year to heal.  Speak to an orthopedic surgeon on motorcycle foot injuries.

Sidi Vertebraes, Oxtar Evo Ti are a couple of boots that claim CE protection and offer all round protection to feet.

Motorcycle boots are totally different than safety shoes.  Safety shoes prevent crushing from a vertical direction along with puncture resistance from the sole.  There is some measure of protection from the heel cup but that does not protect the tendon.  They are very heavy and if you take a spinning high side with them on, the centripetal forces with that mass on your feet may cause other injuries to your legs.

Motorcycle boots are designed to protect the SIDES of your feet ... think of foot trapped between sliding bike and asphalt.  The shin is protected against impact and breakage by thick and very stiff armor.  The achilles tendon, like I mentioned before is protected against injury with armor, hyperextension that can cause stretching, detachment or rupturing by torsional control linkages (fancy words for not allowing the foot to bend in ways that it is not supposed to).  The boots are very light and will not act as counterweights when you are airborne.  The soles are thin to allow you to feel feedback from the footpegs and vibrations from the bike.

Gear is expensive, but take the most expensive gear and compare it to the cost of injuries in time and money and there is no comparison.  Gear is cheap in the long run.  I hope never to use it but I keep hearing there are two kinds of riders, ... either way I want to survive and continue!

I love my 11 inch Chippewa logger boots, but not on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sure. They also have oil resistance non-slip soles to prevent those embarassing slips and drops at intersections. They have toe pads for the shifter. Just like wearing my jacket, I just feel more prepared and focused when I go out wearing my boots.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey spuds, you've got a bunch of upgrades for your sv. it's about time you upgrade the stuff that goes on you! if you like your feet and walking running buy some decent boots. "do they have an affect on you or your riding?" yes they give me confidence. sure a pair of suede skate kicks allow you to feel the shifter, but I'm pretty sure the pros have learned to feel the shifter through their boots. you can to. good luck. -ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the (Vega) Nitro Sport Boots and love them. They only cost me $70 at a local bike dealership. I've seen them advertised elsewhere for around that same price.

Boot features:
Replaceable toe and calf sliders
Ankle and shin guards
Toe shifter pad
Double closure (zipper & Velcro) to make sure they stay on your feet
Waterproof leather uppers

Any straight-leg pants will go over the boots comfortably. I also wear riding pants over the boot rather than tucking in, but the boot will accommodate either method.

As far as wearing riding boots in general, I find I am much more confident in my riding with them on. I feel too vulnerable without them. Kinda like the feeling of riding without a helmet.

Currently said:
Gear is expensive, but take the most expensive gear and compare it to the cost of injuries in time and money and there is no comparison.  Gear is cheap in the long run.  I hope never to use it but I keep hearing there are two kinds of riders, ... either way I want to survive and continue!
I agree 100%. With my textile pants and jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet I have about $700 in gear. If I ruin all of that gear in one accident, but avoid a trip to the hopital because of that protection, it paid for itself right there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My Sidis improve my riding in two ways:
1. Toe slider allows my foot to not get kicked off the peg (though I haven't ever hit boot on the street, but some people do)
2. Mental confidence knowing my feet are in the best protection available.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Most times I am going somewhere and then doing a lot of walking. Boots aren't that practical. I bought some Joe Rocket Phoenix sneakers. I was actually surprized and really like them. They don't offer much protection but they have the basics. They give you the comfort of a sneaker, keep the laces out of the way, and have the toe thing to keep your shifts very clean.

Phoenix

Atomic

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am not a big fan of any of the shoe style footwear for motorcycles....I wear full race style boots everytime I ride and dont have any problems at all

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is probably b/c I'm older and more breakable that I've taken to full gear.  Boots specific for a task are just that.  I have them for work, running, hiking, formal, casual, whatever.  But my motorcycle boots are protection first for potential accident and aid in the abitility to shift/brake with greater feel.   I have Sidi Tepors and Sidi Vert II's.  

I like the Tepors b/c they're great for touring and don't look dorky if I wear them after riding under a pair of regular jeans or pants.

The Vert II's are track gear or a crazier "lean day" attire.

If finanaces allowed for either a slip-on or boots- I'd buy the boots.   When I was a young squid the pipe always won.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The problem with shoes on any kind for motorcycle riding is they'll come off extremely easily in an accident and leave your foot totally unprotected. A huge reason you want an over the ankle boot is it'll actually stay on your foot in a crash and keep it from getting ground down. Do you know what they do if your heel is too damaged to repair? They'll amutate your leg below your knee so you'll be able to walk normally one day.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
zoltan said:
The problem with shoes on any kind for motorcycle riding is they'll come off extremely easily in an accident and leave your foot totally unprotected. A huge reason you want an over the ankle boot is it'll actually stay on your foot in a crash and keep it from getting ground down. Do you know what they do if your heel is too damaged to repair? They'll amutate your leg below your knee so you'll be able to walk normally one day.
My friend's shoe came off in a 30MPH wreck. That's all I have to say about that. :-X

·
Registered
359 Posts
I love my sidi boots! They saved my foot for sure in my last little crash.

I love walking in them due to them being less weight them any other one pair I own. They have about the same weight as a pair of reef flip-flops.

Spend the cash... get something good.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
When i had my fall i had on boots that covered up to my ankle..it wasn't enough...The brake pedal tore a 4 inch gash on the inside of my shin...Its a nice scar and it throbs before it rains but I now wear riding boots that stop below the knee.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts