Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in state that does not have a helmet law, so no one wears them. All my friends that dont ride make fun of me big time, the gloves down to my boots. My riding friends wear helemts, but after thats most wear shorts. So I get made fun of big time! No matter the temp, I am out there on my starter bike( honda cb400t) in full gear. Even when I just run to the bank or down the street, I wear gear. I know when I start to ride harder when i get my SV, I will need the gear, but I just wanted to get the feel down with my starter bike. I guess maybe I want to be safe. Is that bad?????

even my dad who is %100 anti motorcycle makes fun of me.

Like everyone says, sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt!!!!

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
I tend to ignore morons.

Bill

<edit> Okay, your dad isn't a moron. He has a vested interest in trying to dissuade you from riding. But 1) people who don't even ride don't have a leg to stand on, and 2) people who do ride and give you grief should be avoided lest you start to buy into their stupidity.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Think about it. If you fall, do you want your skin on the ground? Or do you want your gear on the ground?

I don't care what others think. I enjoy motorcycling. But I realize it's dangerous. So, I'm going to wear my gear all the time.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
hmmm...hevent been made fun of per se. but have been asked every question in the book. just remember ALL the reasons you wear gear, and tell them some of those...it's not just for safety in a crash!

mesh or vented summer jacket - actually keeps you cooler (IMO), and helps keep you from getting dehydrated on long hot rides. keeps your clothes clean of bugs

pants - do you really want to see my hairy legs?

heavy cold weather jacket - self explainatory...keeps me warm. also keeps the bugs and crap off of my clothes.

riding boots - better grip on the pavement when stopped. to kick the ass of people who make fun of my gear

full fingered leather gloves with big fat carbon fiber knuckles - to put the smack down on whoever makes fun of my gear.

full face helmet - I dont like to eat bugs. also for head butting people who make fun of my gear

;D ;D ;D ;D

G

·
It's like those threads on other board where people show all thier rash and other injuries crashing with no gear stunting and complaining about the pain of it all;  and I am quick to point out that I have armor on EVERY single part of thier body that was injured.  'Wow the armor I have on is EXACTLY where you're injured, thats good to know.' :p

·
Registered
629 Posts
gahdzila summed it up pretty good also.

It's your body not theirs, when they fall and screw themselves up and hopefully live to ride again, maybe they will wear gear.  My neighbor rides a cruiser and I have yet to ever see him stick a helmet on other than on the back of his bike for some unknown reason.  Heck I dress up in 100 degree weather when riding my motorcross bike and it is HOT but the gear has saved my hide many times and most of the time I can take a decent spill when pushing the bike (racing) I get back up and continue on because the gear did it's job.   I drove mine to work today and will always wear a min of Full face Helmet (Shoe RF100 yellow Voltage), decent gloves (Joe Rocket Speed Master), jacket w/ hard armor, pants (no shorts allowed) and heavy duty boots or my motorcycle boots.  I am going to buy a nice pair of mid length street boots that look decent so when I drive to work or somewhere I can still walk around in them and not have to change out...My Sidi Vertigo boots aren't exactley work/office attire :p.

Bottom line, take the harrassment and ignore them.  Too many people get killed every year (one in our area last weekened) simply for not wearing a helmet.  Florida passed a law stating that if you have insurance you don't need a helmet unless you are under 21.  Dumbest law I have ever heard of.  The go all out on seat belt laws and crap like that but when your on a more dangerous vehicle you don't need anything.  

I look at people who don't ride gear to be very stupid even if they are a friend.   In motorcross we say "dress for the crash and not the ride"

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
People make fun of me just because I'm me.

However I think you should get new friends that aren't still in highschool anymore. The simple fact that they are making fun of you is one thing but making fun of you because your doing something not like them is so way high school isn't not even funny. Be like me, act like me, dress like me or your not cool??? Oh wait let me put my DVD of Valley Girl or The Breakfast Club in the home theator to relive my high school years that were filled with click and social status layers.

I'm not going to comment on your gear attire since I wear what I feel comfortable with depending on the day and weather conditions. Wear what you want to and feel works for you and don't worry you will find some more adult riders to share the road with.

:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
 I always wear full gear whenever I ride.  You never know when your going to wreck.  When I wrecked I was wearing my gear.  I was sore for a week and a half.  Not a scratch.  My dad and alot of his friends say I look like a power ranger because of the bike I ride and the gear I wear.  They are into HD's and really old HD's.  I call them squids.  I eventually convinced my dad to purchase a jacket with armor in it, even though it's single layer.  Anyway, Darwin wins in the end. BH  

G

·
I wore a helmet for the first 5 months that i was riding, didn't have the cash any other gear and didn't have the desire to wear it. I was expecting myself to fall at some time or another and still havn't gone down. After i stopped wearing my helmet everytime i rode i gained an appriciation for not wearing one. its a different and more free experience. 2 sides of the arguement i suppose, do whatever you want and give everyone else the finger. also avoid saying things like squid because noone talks like that in the real world. LETS GO RIDE THE TWISTIES!

·
Registered
336 Posts
i just wore full leathers,boots,gloves,helmet out of my Dorm at Ohio State. no one said a thing, couple people asked what it was for, pointed to the bike across the street, and they smiled/complimented on the bike.

G

·
One of my riding buddies and I coined a phrase to describe cruiser riders who don't wear gear.

Sportbike w/o gear = squid

Cruiser w/o gear = terrorist

No real reason i suppose we just found it funny. So it stuck, now when i see a guy on a cruiser in just a tee shirt i mutter to myself "stupid terrorist..." ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I get flak from people I nomally tell them that "The road wants a pound of flesh and it doesn't care if its mine or the cow's."

Just my view on it, I got scufsf on my gear that looks like it would have hurt me alot more.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Occasionally I'll get made fun of. Usually by a cruiser or non-rider. I generally use one of three responses:

I dress for the crash, not for the ride. (Not that I'm a bad rider, but there's plenty of bad drivers out there)

I prefer my skin on me, not on the road.

I may die, but I'll die pretty. And the wake will be open casket. (In response to wearing a full face helmet)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ever crash on a road bike, 40mph, in lycra? That and many endos on my mountain bike .. enough scars to remind me it's ATGATT on my SV. Usually the cruiser riders and non-riders will (not exactly make fun) but make comments like "isn't it hot?". Most of my sportbike and touring friends respect my choice.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've been a a recipient of ridicule from both ends. for wearing gear, not very often by riders, mostly by non riders, and I've been ridiculed by all you self rightious safety nazi's for exercizing my choice to not wear gear

I don't pay attention, I make my own risk assesments

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.