Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've still have the original older than dirt MEZ4's on my 01 SV. Combination of buying a leftover model in 03, being unable to ride for a year, etc, but the point is the things are OLD. They're squared off and the level of traction is laughable...to the point of being dangerous in quick stops. I've pretty much had to abandon the rear brake since the smallest amount of pressure will start a nice little fishtail. :eek: I'm going to replace them over the winter but just want to get a couple more days in before the arctic deep freeze sets in.

Anyway my question is if old tires make the bike unstable at low speed. I've been having a lot more trouble keeping the bike stable after stopping, or at really slow speeds. I used to be able to easily roll up to a stop sign, stop for a second and take off without putting my feet down. Same thing in stop and go traffic, no prob just sitting there a couple secs waiting for traffic to get moving. Now have to work a lot harder to do it and it's nowhere as smooth as I used to be. So am I just out of tune, or can the crappy tires be playing a role?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Don't know anything about your stability issues, but I do know that my old MEZ4's contributed to a 5 mph lowside I had in my old work parking lot. Basically, I had no grip with them in this lot, dumped it after locking up the front on fresh blacktop, and ended up breaking my ankle when it got caught up under the bike. I'd be careful if I were you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only thing between you your bike and a whole lotta pain (physical and/or emotional) is a few square inches of rubber at any given time.

If your tires are really as bad as you describe, I wouldn't ride the bike another 2 feet before replacing them. It's just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah. If they're that old then there's alot more resistance to turn the front wheel b/c the front tire has lost its profile. And the compound has definitely been overcured and has no grip left. Smoke that sucker and get rid of both of em.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I noticed that when my stockers were close to completely wearing out, the handling was quite bad. Replaced with D208's and life has been great since!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Your tires may have "cupped" as well. Instead of just being flat (squared off), they may have dips in them. I've seen it before. Cupping of the front tire in my case caused head shake (if not holding onto the grips) around 35mph and slowing.
Perhaps there's a possibility your forks are tweaked or somehow the rear axle has come out of alignment.
Also, when my rear tire tread had gotten very low, the turn-in began to suck (compared to normal for our bikes, anyway). The rear end has lowered. Put a new tire on and "hello Mr. Twitchy." It was great.

Get new tires.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Tires affecting your stability at LOW speed ???

I think maybe your personal sense of balance affects your stability at low speed, not saying tires can't have traction problems at low speed, but I can't see how even the worse tire would affect your stability

·
Registered
321 Posts
What is a good indicator that you need new tires. I bought a 02 that has been ridden 930 miles in the 2 1/2 years the lady I bought it from had it. the tires look brand new, they haven't given me any problems but I don't really know what to look for either since this is my first bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RandyO said:
Tires affecting your stability at LOW speed ???

I think maybe your personal sense of balance affects your stability at low speed, not saying tires can't have traction problems at low speed, but I can't see how even the worse tire would affect your stability
I thought it was weird too which is why I threw it out here to see if it was even a possibility. There aren't traction issues at low (parking lot) speeds. If I'd had these problems since the beginning I would be positive it was all me, but I used to be pretty damn good balance wise at low speed...not anymore. I didn't know if maybe the sidewall could start to deteriorate causing problems, or who knows what else. I probably just need more practice...either way the bikes parked until I get new tires or spring whichever comes first...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts