Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a really hard time deciding on whether I want a 650 or a 650s.

Naked Pros
Less fairings to scratch
Higher bars might be better for in-town riding and long hauls

650s Pros
I think it looks cooler
Headlights brighter?
Better wind protection (more comfortable?)
Better rain protection?
Clipons better for twisties? (thinking about convertibars, but that's pretty expensive)

I'm really on the fence. I might just leave it up to whatever I can get the best deal on, rather than looking specifically for one model or the other. Any advice?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's a personal choice.

I can tell you, though, at 5'9", unless I'm heading into a headwind, I really don't have much of an issue with wind at normal highway speeds (>~80mph) on my -N. Taller riders may feel differently, but I'm just saying it may not be as much of a factor as you think.

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
For me, a good size tank bag helps a lot with blocking wind from my chest on the hwy with my n-model.

Comfort is relative - do you want an upright position or do you want more fairing coverage?

Having had numerous SS models, I knew I wanted something with a more upright position. I liked the look of the "S" fairing initially, but have grown to like the look of a naked as well.

At least sit on both side-by-side if you can and see how the different positions feel to you.

Jay

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
naked with clip ons. thats what i'm doing.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Naked! A little more comfortable, and everyone likes saying the word "naked" right? I don't think the S has a brighter headlight, but I have never thought about it so maybe. I know I can see just fine with my naked light. Wind protection, meh, I never have a problem, I think you get used to it pretty quick. Clip ons aren't really "better" for twisties imo, just have different pros and cons. For example: on long sweeper corners, I wish I had clip ons, but for tight technical stuff, I like the bars. More leverage means it takes less effort to muscle the bike around.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
if you want better rain and wind protection stick with a car...

get a naked and install SM1 bars....enough said

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I've got a nekkid but wish I could ride an S to see how it compares. I ride in an area where it is very windy and cold to chilly every morning, so I think about the S when I'm cold and blown around.

The best compromise might be to get a nekkid and add a windscreen.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think it's ironic that someone would ask other people a question that they should rightfully just ask themselves.

Go for a test ride, figure out what YOU like. In the end it's your bike, not mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my N the only parts that get cold for me are my legs and hands, and the s doesn't really solve those problems. Of course this is a Florida winter. Also nekkids are easier to drop and fix if so if it's your first bike I would go naked. If I had to do it again I would definitely still buy whatever landed in my lap first.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts