Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have to put my bike in storage for a extended period of time. Would it be best to unplug the battery to help save its life? I've heard this is something done with cars but I'm not sure about motorcycles. Any help would be much obliged!

·
Administrator
11,012 Posts
You can unplug the battery and bring it inside to keep it under a controlled temperature. However, it's even better if you can leave it connected to a battery tender during the length of the storage.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Depends on your battery. You likely have an AGM style battery (electrolyte is absorbed in fiberglass mats, the most common) which should be fully charged at least once a month to prevent capacity loss. If it's a Gel style battery (electrolyte not liquid but in gel form) it can go up to four months without needing a charge. Finally, a Li-Ion battery can be stored for up to one year without re-charging it.

Unplugging it alone won't slow the discharge down significantly, since your battery probably only powers your clock when the ignition is off, which is a negligible power draw.

Motorcycle batteries have a much smaller capacity than car batteries, so any loss of capacity has potentially a greater impact than in a car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Finally, a Li-Ion battery can be stored for up to one year without re-charging it.
Good to know.....I put in a Li-Ion in the race bike this summer and now that the season is over I just removed it and put in my warm basement. I have a Li-Ion specific charger for it but I put it on it this winter. Meter read 13.2v’s.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just remember that Li-Ion batteries should be stored at around 60-80% state of charge for the long-term.
So I should drain the battery to be within that range?

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you can, yes. Depending how long you plan to store it. After some internet searching it turns out the optimal state of charge for long-term storage of Li-Ion batteries is only 40-50% at close to refrigerator temperatures. At that scenario you'll only lose 2% charge per year.
If you can't discharge it easily before storing it, I'd just let it discharge by itself (which will happen much quicker when at 100% charge) for a few months, and then charge it back up to only 50%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Vietnam.
I just want to ask what will happen to display control of the bike if battery is unplugged for a prolonged time? Will the ODO counter be reset or any thing will be damaged?
Mine is LED display

·
Registered
440 Posts
You will have to reset the clock, everything else will still be there.

Reactions: GiangNgo

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will have to reset the clock, everything else will still be there.
Thank you! I'd figured the same.
My city is in lock down. I would plan to keep battery being unplugged and use tender to keep it being charged. But i've heard that engine should be running for lubrication purpose.
Is it a good practice?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I winterize my bike by lifting it on front and rear paddock stands, connecting the battery to a trickle charger while it still is inside the bike and connected, and covering it with a protective cover.
That's all.
It stays like that for about 2.5/3 months and never failed to ignite when started after hybernation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't run the motor unless you're going to ride it. When you start and let it run for a short time it will generate condensation from the rapid heat build up and that moisture will settle in the oil giving less lubrication on restart until the moisture evaporates. Opinions on this vary wildly, i have multiple motorcycles and vehicles that will sit, never run unless they will be out on the road, if I have to start one of the cars to move it will drive it to get up to operating temperature for a while.

Again, there will be stories of people saying you need to run it occasionally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, different opinions. I am starting the bike (during winter) every two weeks. Engine run at least until the fan switches on and off. Battery on my previous bike lasted for 9 years and was replaced before longer trip, just to be sure not because of failure. I do not know if it was result of my habit or it was just unusually good battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,079 Posts
Yes, different opinions. I am starting the bike (during winter) every two weeks. Engine run at least until the fan switches on and off. Battery on my previous bike lasted for 9 years and was replaced before longer trip, just to be sure not because of failure. I do not know if it was result of my habit or it was just unusually good battery.
Not a good idea.

Change the oil before storing, start it and run for 30 seconds - don't start again until you are ready to ride it.

Use synthetic oil for best protection during storage.

Even letting it run until the fan kicks on, which takes forever, isn't getting it hot enough for long enough to remove the contaminants you are creating.

Charge the battery occasionally with a charger instead of running the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts