Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a track rider, and I still have a 1/4 inch margin of safety (ok, chicken strip) on the rear.
But I find myself riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs all the time. So I have to make a conscious motion toward the shifter or R brake.
If I could ride with the peg at the heel of my boot (you know, where the sole steps up) then I wouldn't have to make this motion. On my naked's pegs, tho, I feel like I could scrape a toe pretty easily if I rode like that all the time.

So, should I look for some modest rearsets? Or do other riders place their feet like I do?

·
Registered
722 Posts
The balls of your feet should actually be on the pegs except when you are shifting or braking.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
By placing the balls of your feet on the pegs you are in better position to shift your weight around the bike if you need/want to. It's also easier to lift a little pressure off your arse to avoid getting bounced around over RR tracks, dips and potholes.

Basically its a more athletic position and will give you more controll over your machine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I guess the answer to the question would be yes?.............................

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
speedholes said:
The answer to the question is no, you don't need rearsets. You should have the balls of your feet on the pegs, not the arch of your foot.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
speedholes said:
The answer to the question is no, you don't need rearsets. You should have the balls of your feet on the pegs, not the arch of your foot.
Exactly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
not an idiot.. just not a overly aggressive rider (yet! )

the balls of the feet thing is a necessity on a track... on the street I very seldom put my feet up.. for a few reasons

A. If I'm on the balls of my feet.. the rest of my body thinks it's "GO" time and I end up riding harder than a person needs to on the street.

B. I dont' start shifting my weight if I keep my heel on the peg... this refers back to reason "A."

C. It's more comfortable for longer distances.

D. I worry more about being able to get to my gears, and rear brake for a panic stop much more on the street that on a track. On the track you can pretty much get into a rhythm about when/where your are going to be shifting/braking... versus... Having your feet 1 inch away from the shifter/brake when. . . "Oh crap! theres a idiot on the cell phone pulling out in front of me.. BRAKE DOWNSHIFT BRAKE DOWNSHIFT!!! HURRY!!!!"

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew! Thanks.
I have what I think is a pretty good rhythm for reaching the controls on the street, but I didn't have a perspective on what a "normal" foot positions should be for such riding.
Rock on.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You've already got them

By the old definition you already have rearsets. Rearsets are any set of foot pegs that require a tie bar between the shift lever and the transmission. The real question is how aggressive a rearset you need. The SVS has rearsets that are about an inch higher and an inch further back than those on the SV. You can get them higher and further back. However.....

If you're riding on public streets and you are pushing so hard that you need extra toe clearance then you are riding too aggressively to be on public streets, IMHO. Just be careful. 1/4" chicken strips are perfectly sane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts