Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my SV with racetech emulators, sonic springs, zx10r shock, galfer ss lines, new ebc hh brake pads, frame and swingarm sliders, etc.

I asked if the they wanted a list of everything in the bike so they could better sell it, and they said they didn't care what was in it. Seem kind of dumb in my opinion.

What do you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My co-worker just traded his TL1000 in on a a ZX14, the dealership asked him to take off the dual Yosh pipes, double bubble and the corbin seat. They told him they would not give him any more money on trade, and would prefer it be as close to stock as possible. Dont really understand why.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aftermarket modifications and "upgrades" are sold to people like us who want to make a bike look, handle, and perform to our standards. All these modifications are based on our goals for the bike. These mods do absolutely nothing to the value of the bike overall. They only attract potential buyers that are searching for the same taste that we have and want the modifications that we already did. By narrowing your market you decrease the amount of potential buyers - something a dealer doesn't want to do. Although we love our bikes and take it hard when someone doesn't think as highly of them as we do, our sentimental feelings aren't worth squat in a competitive market.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
After I got sent off on a test ride on a bike that had about 5 miles of gas in it, I decided dealers don't care about their customers.

I hurried over to the dealer on my lunch break and it took over 30 minutes for them to get a can of gas out to the bike 5 miles from the shop. I was way late getting back to work.

When I got back from the test ride not a single person (sales guy or the owner) said "I'm sorry". I was blown away. I haven't been back since and I bought a bike elsewhere.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got $3050 for my bike after advertising here and craigslist,but it's what I wanted for it. I was hoping to give it to someone who knew it's value. I guess I was just hoping someone would enjoy my hard work at a low price, but really I would just hate for someone to buy my bike and go to this forum, decide to do the supension,and find out what is in it when they tear into the forks. Just seems like a waste to me.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When we take trades at or shop we have a certification of damage/modification that we fill out with the customer. It will list suspension, airflow, exhaust, internal engine mods, and any other notable changes to the bike that are more than just cosmetic. Not really used as a selling point for the next buyer, more just so we know what we have and can inform the next buyer what makes this bike worth $$$

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to screw over the next buyer, but that's what I thought. I figured the dealership would at least want to know what went into the bike so they could inform the buyer of what they are buying.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I took my buddy to the dealer that sold me my bike. I even took him to the guy who sold me my bike! The guy was a total D-bag making stupid bigotry jokes and was clueless on the bike.... We walked away from a cash in hand deal because of the idiot. NO!!! they don't care!

East coast cycle center, the only good thing about them is a particular mechanic straight out of a previous yamaha racing team... otherwise they blow.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
My co-worker just traded his TL1000 in on a a ZX14, the dealership asked him to take off the dual Yosh pipes, double bubble and the corbin seat. They told him they would not give him any more money on trade, and would prefer it be as close to stock as possible. Dont really understand why.
Honestly, a heavily modded bike is probably more of a liability than anything. Think about it, they are reselling it so if some n00b goes out and kills himself on it they can claim that the bike was modified and therefore unsafe.

Can't say I blame them for wanting the bike as close to stock as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I lot of dealers don't care cause they wholesale most of their trade ins to used bike dealers, they only keep best sellers in excellent and near stock condition

·
Registered
110 Posts
I often find that if I came into the dealership on my bike, wearing my gear; no one will offer any help. If I come in wearing street clothes, they are all over me. Any BMW, Triumph, Ducati dealership I have been to has been super nice to me. Maybe that has something to do with them actually offering test rides on bikes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Aftermarket modifications and "upgrades" are sold to people like us who want to make a bike look, handle, and perform to our standards. All these modifications are based on our goals for the bike. These mods do absolutely nothing to the value of the bike overall. They only attract potential buyers that are searching for the same taste that we have and want the modifications that we already did. By narrowing your market you decrease the amount of potential buyers - something a dealer doesn't want to do. Although we love our bikes and take it hard when someone doesn't think as highly of them as we do, our sentimental feelings aren't worth squat in a competitive market.
Well freaking put.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealers are deffinately in it for themselves as they should be. It's a business. If they can make you think they care and sell you what they want even better. If your to lazy or just have to much money too sell they bike on your own then you take the hit at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
When I walk into my dealer, the owner greets me by name if he's not talking with someone. I've only ever bought my SV there, and I'm a "cheap" customer since their other lines are BMW and Triumph. When I traded my GS on the SV, it was re-sold right there after a tune-up and wash. I like my dealer. :)

I traded in a VW van several years ago on a car. I left a notebook in the glove box with a list of the maintenance that I'd done and all the places I'd taken it. The eventual buyer called me a couple weeks after he got it (I included contact information) to say hello and thank me. Perhaps you could do something like that and leave it sealed in the under seat compartment?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have had better luck with "smaller" type dealers. THey seam to nead and want your business a little more and I get better service. Big dealers have lots of nice stuff and abeautiful showroom but only want your $

1 - 20 of 24 Posts