Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a silly question, but I purchased my bike off of someone selling privately.  I was wondering if dealers will let you take a new or used bike for a test ride?

K

·
0 Posts
i went to a triumph demo day and they said you had to be 18 to ride on the back with someone
and 25 to ride the bikes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It depends on several things.  Large volume, large city dealers are less likely than smaller or rural delarships to let you test ride, Harley, Jap, Euro, whatever.

A lot of it depends on if you show up on a bike and it's condition, how (ballpark) similar it is to what you are wanting to ride, what you are wearing, your quantity of gear and it's quality, your apparent maturity level, and so on.

The manufacturers are comfortable with letting you demo ride, Ducati, Aprillia, Harley, Buell, BMW, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki that I know of all have touring semi's with about 15-30 bikes each of their current lineup that travel to races and vintage motorcycle events, and you just need an insurance card and proper riding attire to ride anything from a Ducati 999 to a ZX-10R or even a Tuono or Mille 'R'.  See -> http://www.jasonfagan.com/photographs/AMAVintage05/index.html

Please do not ride a new bike that you do not have cash in hand or prefinanced, and an honest desire to buy that day.  Someone will eventually buy it and if they are paying new, they deserve five or so miles and no more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
theres just too much liability involved with that...I know I'd never let a buyer test drive the bike till he gives me all the money first ;D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The risk to the dealership is huge. Regardless of what's been signed - letting a guy ride a bike they don't own is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The shop I work at addresses it like this - Make your decision on what bike you believe you want, but need to ride before 100% committment. Make your deal. Sign the papers - ride immediately.

If, after an agreed upon period (half hour, hour - whatever) you decide "Aww....heck no!", bring it back - we tear the paperwork up and start over.

This absolves the dealership of responsibility - and prevents tire-kickers from wasting our time.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
+1 on what Ruefus said. The only dealer down here that demos that I know of is the BMW motorcycle dealer. If you can get there, Bike Week and/or Biketoberfest has demos of most sport bikes every yr and it's free.

·
Registered
64 Posts
None of the dealers by me will let you ride a new bike.  I think it is as much putting miles on a new bike with no committment as the liability issue.   I can walk in and take just about any used bike for a test ride.   Dealerships liability has to be as high on a used bike as a new bike.

I think the buy/ride/return deal mentioned would work pretty well.  Although,  it would still put miles on a new bike.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My local dealer would let me only take out their used bikes :(

On the new bikes, they said they would do the same thing that Ruefus has stated.

They would, on the other hand, put a bit of gas in some and let you start them up and run it for a bit in neutral :) _

Cash in hand really makes a difference though... When you have all 7k in hand and are like " I want to ride that one!" they are not going to really be like 'NO'... They will work with you if they can tell you are really there to buy that day. Again this goes into what was stated by sheik*yerbouti - They will judge you based on how you look and what you came in on/with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most BMW dealers make you take a test ride. I've also seen quite a few Ducati demos at local dealers. A few years back the local dealership was letting people demo Goldwings. I would buy used, that way you can take it for a test drive and save a lot of cash.

·
Registered
359 Posts
BadMayonaise said:
Most BMW dealers make you take a test ride.  I've also seen quite a few Ducati demos at local dealers.  A few years back the local dealership was letting people demo Goldwings.  I would buy used, that way you can take it for a test drive and save a lot of cash.
Very wise words!

I have yet to met a person when I was shopping that would not let me drive their bike when I showed up with asking price in 20s! 3500 in 20s looks way larger than you would think!

Then again, I had a friend who did not have it all up front and found one thing - most banks (and some shops too) will not loan money for used bikes... Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The local Kawi, Yami, Suzuk dealer here does .....

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
as a rule of thumb... most dealers will let you test a used bike if you have propper credentials but most will not let you demo a new bike... unless it is a special event like demo days, Honda Hoot  & Homecoming etc. Reason being is most dealerships can't get insurance to cover their new bikes being ridden plus I think they want to make sure the "new" bikes aren't trashed by improper break in.

Honda Hoot is a great event if you want to demo a bike... that had to be the most variety of manufacturers there for demo rides I have seen yet. Although demo rides these days are kinda lame thanks to irresponsible idiots causing problems... now they make you follow a guide and you are lucky if you find a guide that will make the ride fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts