Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the manual for my Canadian SV and it is talking about adjusting the chain/rear tire removal etc... and it seems to indicate that only the canadian models have the cotter pin.... which seemed odd to me, I thought all bikes (including bicycles) had a cotter pin on the rear wheel nut...

Anyway... it just seemed odd to me..

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.. I thought all motorcycles had it... weird...

they also say that my key can't be taken out when I put the bike in the handlebar lock and set it with the park lights on...

I did that by accident but only noticed the lights as I walked away from it .... with the key in my hand...

now I make sure to check the lights if I use the steering lock... :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I can shed some light on this issue.

I've owned a '91 GS500E, which was imported from the US long before I got it.
Main differences with the European models around, Miles on the clock instead of KM but also the cotter pin in the rear whel nut.

I was told that it's a US DMV type of department demanding this.
(Not sure if it's the DMV, but it's the department that checks new bikes to see if they are road legal.)

My European Spec SV650S K3 doesn't have the pin :)

Edit:
Spierings got there first :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I got new tires (Z6's), the mechanic put a hitch pin in lieu of a cotter pin. After almost 9k miles on those tires, it's still there too.

·
Registered
975 Posts

My daughter in laws 250 Nighthawk has a self locking nut instead of a cotter pin.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Almost no european bikes come with cotter pins... TBH they're just not needed, it seems like they're fitted to the US bikes simply because people freak out if they're not there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey gearman where did u get the pin from. the stock cotter is so ugly ive noticed people using that other pin i guess its a hitch pin. by the way yes i do have a pin 05 650

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I hate cotter pins, replaced mine with a hitch pin as well. Got like 3 or 4 at Ace for a couple bucks.

Yeah, I could have gone anywhere to get the hitch pin, but John Madden told me to go to Ace, cause its the place!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts