Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

DL Handguards - On my bike - *PICS* 56k - HaHa

8K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  emsee 
#1 ·
Well... I have been running these for quite some time now on stock bars.  I love them.  This morning was cold and raining on my way to work.. well... I had dry and warm hands using nothing more than a pair of Alpinestars SMX Air gloves.  I really really enjoy these and feel the $45 for them was well worth it.

The Suzuki OE part number is 57300-27820-291

I bought these through my local parts guy (not a Suzi dealer) for the $45.  Which is about the same as online places, but I didn't pay any shipping.   ;D

So without further ado, here's some pics....

Front On view...

Back View....

Throttle Side Guard...

Clutch Side Guard....

Clearance between guard and signals....the clutch lever fits inside perfect.

How about some more pic whoring????

Some more???

Last one...

See less See more
#4 ·
03-SV650RR said:
Looks neat.
Do you know if they make them for the 2nd gens?
You should be able to use the stock DL hand guards also on a naked (the S might have fairing clearance issues).  The hand guards are OE Suzuki, but offered aftermarket.  They fit only DL650's (because the DL1k has a hydraulic clutch).  The master is the same design, the clutch lever is too... so I am pretty confident they would fit.  If not, you can always resell them on here and get your money back.

#5 ·
Do you guys think they'd work without the bar ends? I pulled my bar ends all the way off and put the 3rd Eye's right at the end of the grips. From Wacky's close ups, I'm thinking that makes this a no-go for me.

#7 ·
Flatline said:
Do you guys think they'd work without the bar ends?  I pulled my bar ends all the way off and put the 3rd Eye's right at the end of the grips.  From Wacky's close ups, I'm thinking that makes this a no-go for me.
You don't need the bar ends. They are there for spacers essentially. If you were to get a shorter bolt it'd work just fine for you (shit stock should work too). The big deal is that with out the bar ends, my mirrors would hit the guards. That might happen with your application also.

#8 ·
donniej said:
I hear they fit gen2 nekkids.  I bought mine off a guy who bought his for a gen2 SVS... they fit but wouldn't clear the fairing.

I think they look uber sexy on mine too  ;)

Looks great on both bikes but on donniej that headlight setup really accentuates it. Where did you get your headlight set up? Sorry to threadjack wacky. I like the mirrors on the end of your bars, I have the standard micky mouse ears with mirror extensions would those interfear or....... would this mean I will just have to break it down to my wife that I need the mirrors that fit on the end of the handlebars because the safety handgards. ;)

#12 ·
wacky, donnie, and anyone else with these handguards on their SV:

Curious about how much room you have to get your fingers/hands on the levers.

Do you have to hunt for the lever or spend time wiggling your fingers in?

Do you still have full adjustability of the levers up and down?

Any increased buffeting or strange wind patterns/noise?

I'm very interested in doing this. Thanks for the photos and suggestions! 8)

[edit: Will they work with clip-ons?]

#13 ·
donniej said:
I hear they fit gen2 nekkids.  I bought mine off a guy who bought his for a gen2 SVS... they fit but wouldn't clear the fairing.

I think they look uber sexy on mine too  ;)

Could I get a better look at your front fender?

#14 ·
Six Chin Skinny said:
wacky, donnie, and anyone else with these handguards on their SV:

Curious about how much room you have to get your fingers/hands on the levers. 

Do you have to hunt for the lever or spend time wiggling your fingers in? 
You'll have no problems...  You have as much room as you do without hand guards on there.  I have never hit a finger, not been able to get to the lever.  No issues.

Six Chin Skinny said:
Do you still have full adjustability of the levers up and down?
Yes.. The hand guards move with the levers.

Six Chin Skinny said:
Any increased buffeting or strange wind patterns/noise?
Nope....  nothing but goodness here.  No more cold fingers in the morning.  No more wet fingers either.  My hands do get warm now on really hot days.  That's the only down fall.

Six Chin Skinny said:
I'm very interested in doing this.  Thanks for the photos and suggestions!   8)

[edit:  Will they work with clip-ons?]
They should, as long as you have fairing clearance and turn signal clearance.  Once I move my turn signals this winter, I'll put my SM Type 1's back on and run the hand guards.  I've done a mock up with my Woodcraft clip ons and they'll fit, I just need to move a few things around.

#15 ·
wacky-- Outstanding! Many thanks. 8)

Initiating dealer contact/online/e-bay shopping sequence now...

#19 ·
Sorry, I don't remember the exact name. It might be Mirrcycle, something like that. The round mirror part is identicle to yours, but the upright shaft piece is definitely different.

BTW, before, I didn't really have any vibration in the mirrors until ~80mph. After installing the handguards, I went for a very short ride through town and noticed some vibes at 30mph. I'm going to have to mess around with it.

#22 ·
it's the stock screen that comes on the 05's. i believe it's purely for looks. i just got the handguards and would like to get a taller windshield for colder riding. between the shield and the handguards, they should allow me to ride a little bit further into the year.

#24 ·
Excuse me for asking a off topic question but what kind of fly screen is that wacky? Thats the only one i've seen i actually like.

#25 ·
Do these work with clip-ons??? I don't have a fairing so thats not an issue. Looks good though, I think it would add a little bit of ruggedness to the bike and would save me time picking bugs out of my gloves.

#26 ·
athflying79 said:
Do these work with clip-ons??? I don't have a fairing so thats not an issue.

Quote from: Six Chin Skinny on September 09, 2005, 08:06:44 AM
[edit: Will they work with clip-ons?]

WackyWoodchuck's reply bottom page 1:
They should, as long as you have fairing clearance and turn signal clearance. Once I move my turn signals this winter, I'll put my SM Type 1's back on and run the hand guards. I've done a mock up with my Woodcraft clip ons and they'll fit, I just need to move a few things around.

Looks like turn signal and maybe tank clearance for those of us with clip-ons...

BTW, what bike is that in your sig?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.