Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 02 Tiller front end... (Correction, after reivew, it is noted to be an 03 TLR front end... sorry for any confusion)

Said Front End

...that was given to me for my SV. SO i thought fuggit, I want a day project, so I'll bust some risers and bars on the triple and make my SV even more ghetto-fabulous.

So here is my quick-n-dirty-top-triple-riser-addition-conversion-do-it-your-self-project-how-to:

Go buy some risers. I chose 1-1/8" cuz I'm silly like that.

Go buy some bars. I ordered Black Low-Rise Renthal Fatbars today. Mate's rates were 54 bux!!

Have a triple off of something.

inspect the triple to decide where the best place to drill is. on these 02 TLR trips the stabilizer mount hole ****** me up so i have to be creative or try to drill thru part of the cast for the bolt which is no fun.

i put some tape on the top to help me write on it. then i found the centers of the triple horiz and verty.

I want 4" centers on my risers, so i busted it out on the tape -

the bolt hole that attaches the riser to the triple is offset, so i figured out where i want the risers on the triple and marked the center of the hole - verify both sides are even and on layout.

Shout out to my mate's shop - MotoGP Werks in Orange on Katella & Batavia. Where every saturday is FREE DYNO day.
Call or come on in for a free 3-pull dyno run. Tuning not included, that ****'s like 300 bux or something.. but at least get to know your tourque curve and HP output!

double-check everything before you take sharp tools to your motorcycle parts!!

More double checking of fit-up and making sure the look i want is acheived.

***SNEAK PREVIEW*** This is a sneak preview (for those who check out the DIY's like they shoud be) of one kick-ass Katana... no drooling please.
Yes my GSXR roller in the back-ground is gonna get some serious DW tomorrow!!

Once the centers for the drill holes are found. use a punch (or a rusty 16-penny nail if you dont have a punch) to mark the holes for drilling - remove the tape...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drilled the triple for the riser bolts.

cut the ignition mount post off - that was a bizzatch, on the back porch
with a dremmel and fiber wheel

had to flush-up the cut-off portion, marked the washer so i dont grind
unneccessary metal.

alcohol and power tools are awesome when used irresponsibly
and in conjunction with eachother.

cut the parts i will be using for spacers. used a 9-16 nut

marked the 7-16 washer for the cut -

cut the mothafscka

i wrapped the bolt in alum foil so i dont epoxy it to the triple
im smart like that.

put the spacers in and epoxied it all into place with 2-part steel epoxy

wait for 4 hours to handle, wait for 24 for full hardened strength.
.jpg[/IMG]

so its all done. as soon as it gets hard (huh huh) i will put the risers on and throw on the FATbars that i got last monday.

ill put a final pic up afterwards. i will have them powdercoated either black or red and then ill post a pixshure.

WORD - again, I have no idea what Im doing so do this shizzle at your own risk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bolts that came with the risers are only partially threaded - So I used hardend nuts and washers as spacers.
I didnt want to use aluminum rod cuz that shits waek, and they had aluminum loking collars ar the hdwr store for 4 bux each
and were sold out anyway. This works just as well if not better...

Bottom Side. The Steel Epoxy Weld worked great.
I tried to chip/flake off the small drips on the underside of the triples and that ****'s STUCK!

I ordered one of those carbon-fiber top triple protectors to cover the holes and scratches and its GTG!

Backside

Bottom Front

Epoxy Side

Easy non-epoxy Side.

They look RAD and I cant wait to slap them on my SV along with the enw TLR front end.......

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
This is all well-intended, not criticism:

Those are sure TLR triple clamps but NOT TLR forks
Appear to be 'Busa forks.

For the risers bolts, it helps when you have good friends with machine tools

Some M12 bolts with shorter plain shoulders, with the socket cap heads machined to flats on one side to replace the supplied ProTaper bolts!

I might also say it is maybe better to have the clamps are far rearward as possible - give more clearance for the fork adjusters so they are not directly under the bars.
The TLS top clamp (or SRAD 750) has same fitment but with 'straight-ahead' ignition, being more conducive to the riser mount bolts.

To lay out the holes, I make a template using the fork and stem holes for the references then print out to scale on transparency and tape to triple & center.punch directly through to the clamp

Have to say the TLR triples/'Busa forks probably not the best choice for a Gen 2 SV - predominantly, GSXR triples have steering stops that work with the SV frame stops and fender match is excellent.
You'll need a 'Busa (yeeuch!
) fender or modify the forks to adapt to a TLS or TLR fender for those legs.

Steering stops will be a challenge - that TLR lower triple only has one on the right side, so will need to be addressed.

Be interesting to see it come together.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
This is all well-intended, not criticism:

Those are sure TLR triple clamps but NOT TLR forks
Appear to be 'Busa forks.

I might also say it is maybe better to have the clamps are far rearward as possible - give more clearance for the fork adjusters so they are not directly under the bars.
The TLS top clamp (or SRAD 750) has same fitment but with 'straight-ahead' ignition, being more conducive to the riser mount bolts.

Have to say the TLR triples/'Busa forks probably not the best choice for a Gen 2 SV - predominantly, GSXR triples have steering stops that work with the SV frame stops and fender match is excellent.
You'll need a 'Busa (yeeuch!
) fender or modify the forks to adapt to a TLS or TLR fender for those legs.

Steering stops will be a challenge - that TLR lower triple only has one on the right side, so will need to be addressed.

Be interesting to see it come together.

Those do appear to be Busa forks since they are Gold.

Will the SRAD upper triple work directly with the TLR lower?

Hopefully it goes together a little easier on my 1st gen.
ac

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Those do appear to be Busa forks since they are Gold.

Will the SRAD upper triple work directly with the TLR lower?

Hopefully it goes together a little easier on my 1st gen.
ac
Yep! The top clamps have the same offset, clamp diameter, and fork spacing.

The SRAD and TL lower clamps have different diameter fork clamps.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Man, I do love the design of the early Katanas :cool:

This threads brings me to the safety of drilling triples for handlebars.
Is there any known case that a drilled upper triple failed after drilling holes for handlebars?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
TLS, TLR, SRAD 750 and Hayabusa all have same fitment for top clamp at 214mm spacing on the 50mm dia forks, 32mm offset.

TLS, TLR and Hayabusa have 55mm lower triple fork diameter; SRAD 750 is 54mm

TLS and Hayabusa, like SRAD have two stops on the lower triple, TLR has one.
TLS lower triple should work with the SV G1 frame as both have single center fixed stop on the steering head. The Hayabusa stops are further apart.

If I was going to use Hayabusa forks on a gen 1, I would use TLS triple clamps top & bottom.

If anyone wants a CAD layout for drilling risers on a TLS clamp, let me know and I'll send you high res .pdf copy you can print to scale on transparency.

In order to fit a TL fender (much better looking than Hayabusa) you need to modify the leg as below.
(Yes, those are Hayabusa forks, even though they're silver! :p )

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
TLS, TLR, SRAD 750 and Hayabusa all have same fitment for top clamp at 214mm spacing on the 50mm dia forks, 32mm offset.

TLS, TLR and Hayabusa have 55mm lower triple fork diameter; SRAD 750 is 54mm

TLS and Hayabusa, like SRAD have two stops on the lower triple, TLR has one.
TLS lower triple should work with the SV G1 frame as both have single center fixed stop on the steering head. The Hayabusa stops are further apart.

If I was going to use Hayabusa forks on a gen 1, I would use TLS triple clamps top & bottom.

If anyone wants a CAD layout for drilling risers on a TLS clamp, let me know and I'll send you high res .pdf copy you can print to scale on transparency.

In order to fit a TL fender (much better looking than Hayabusa) you need to modify the leg as below.
(Yes, those are Hayabusa forks, even though they're silver! :p )

Hmm...that isn't good news. I was under the impression the R triples would work on the first gen. Is this not the case? What was Suzuki thinking with all the differences between the S and R?!?!
ac

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Hmm...that isn't good news. I was under the impression the R triples would work on the first gen. .
Take a look at the very first pic at the top of the thread - that is a TLR lower triple - you can see the single steering stop on the right side (left as you look at pic)
The frames are completely different between TLR & TLS.
But the TLS & SV G1 frames are similar

This will prove to be an issue with properly adjusting the forks methnks.
That was exactly the point I made as to why to move the riser clamps further towards the back.

In the OP's location they will be pretty much directly over the preload adjuster so they will be awkward to access.

I don't have a great pic of the clearance, but this one gives you an idea - there is plenty of room for a screwdriver for the rebound and of course the preload is a wrench anyway.

Ignore the fact that this is a Triumph (my brother-in-law's) - these are Hayabusa forks and lower triple clamp, TLS top clamp with ProTaper riser clamps and FatBars. As far as the point of dicussion goes, the bike marque is moot.
That's also TLS Fender on the Busa fork legs (modified as shown above)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Take a look at the very first pic at the top of the thread - that is a TLR lower triple - you can see the single steering stop on the right side (left as you look at pic)
The frames are completely different between TLR & TLS.
But the TLS & SV G1 frames are similar
Yeah, I just looked at the triple I have and noted that the steering stop will only work towards the left. I guess that means the tank will be the steering stop towards the right?

Would Busa triples solve this? TLS parts appear to be impossible to come by.
ac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks kidz.. first lemme say i dig the feedback, good bad or indifferent.

second, lemme say that my 2005 SV is my thrasher daily driver and the tiller front end was a freebie, so i decided NOT to put a buncha dough into it. maybe i was wrong about the 02 front end, but im pretty sure its TLR (did nto the 03 have the bronze color tubes?) also the fender mounts for the busa have that front tab.. my forks do not..?

anywhoo - i have the fender, it was off in the pic, and yeah **** the busa fender, its ghei as hell...

thirdly, i will successfully x-plant it onto my 05 SV. anythign is an upgrade from my stockers with new oil.

oh yeah, im a full on streetfigherer, so im okay with black spray paint, zip ties and all the rest... ha. cheers, and thanks for the learnin'.. PB

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
..Would Busa triples solve this? ..
No - already mentioned the 'busa triples stops are in different location and the frame does not have same stop arrangement as the SRAD, TLS and SV G1.

.... but im pretty sure its TLR (did nto the 03 have the bronze color tubes?) also the fender mounts for the busa have that front tab.. my forks do not..?...
Dang - you know something, I believe you're right - think the very last models 03's might have indeed had gold. And since the sliders are chrome & not gold (or copper or whatever that 'Busa colour is) then you are right & I'm wrong. They are pretty rare!

Good call man!

If they're going in a late model SV frame, a Busa lower triple might be just right I think ..... (stops work against the frame)
See if you can find one cheap ....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
No - already mentioned the 'busa triples stops are in different location and the frame does not have same stop arrangement as the SRAD, TLS and SV G1.
Doh! I see a TLS with GSXR forks in your sig...you don't happen to have a triple tree available do you? It is proving somewhat difficult to find.
ac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Dang - you know something, I believe you're right - think the very last models 03's might have indeed had gold. And since the sliders are chrome & not gold (or copper or whatever that 'Busa colour is) then you are right & I'm wrong. They are pretty rare!

Good call man!

If they're going in a late model SV frame, a Busa lower triple might be just right I think ..... (stops work against the frame)
See if you can find one cheap ....
man, you make me think harder, and thats applaudable.. haha. cheers! il grind off the steering stops and weld tabs on if i have too - or put rubber bumpers on the radiator and forks.. LOL!

yeah, ill give it the old one-two - i have a few busa lower triple layin about, so ill fit up the front end and if it doesnt go what-for then ill smack the busa lower on there... either way, you will see pix.. and soon hahah..

thansk mate!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts