Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been searching for a good way to attach the new trunk I got from sears for me to be able to travel with out a backpack anymore as well as be able to have my girlfriend ride on the back with me in case we want to go for a trip up the coast somewhere.

So after looking for a good design for a while I got one that I thought was going to work and started to procrastonate and never really got around to it.

Then I saw a thread on others top case racks an saw member 08sv's post on a top case rack thread and decided to copy his design since it seems the cleanest and well suppported.

Other Top Case Rack Thread

Picks of 08sv's rack:

I am going to do the base plate the same way, however I am not going to have the flat bar quite as wide or deep and just make it to fit the sice of the Sears top case.

I started off by getting many measurements off the my bike which is a: 2005 SV1000S. It needed to clear the seat latch and mount to four different bolt holes without rubbing against any of the plastic.

To do this I started out with a piece of cardboard but soon got frustrated with it getting cut wrong to many times by me with a razor blade. So I just used my Google Sketch Up program to get it accurate and be able to adjust anything on the fly.

Here is the rendering I came up with:

Here is a close up of the holes and there dementions, the top holes have been drilled and verified to fit accuratley but until I bend the base plate into position I am not going to be drilling the bottom ones yet they are just a starting point for now.

Top:

Bottom:

And here is the end result so far, I am going to need to bend the base plate into two places to get the mounting holes to all rest flat on the bike. Since there is a 3/4" step up from the bottom bolt holes to the top.

Technical stuff: I was able to find the degree at which to bend the base plate I will have 3" of usable space on the base plate to make the 3/4" step up, so I will need to bend the base plate at a 15 degree angle in order for everything to line up right.

This is where the bends will need to be made:

I will keep this up to date by making sure to edit any measurments that might change through the design process.

-Scott

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to try and find a bender or a torch and vise to make these bends... bender prefered.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated first post with more pics. Enjoy... comments and suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the drawing, I have been looking for something to put side bags on with out purchasing an ugly rack. The plate is a great starting point. I will cut one out on the plasma bed on Monday, weld on some side brackets and have something to hang my bags off of. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The orginal creator 08sv did that same thing with his base plate if you look at the linked thread in the first post you will see his complete set up that might help you along some more.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can also throw it in a vise and pound on it with a mallet. having a torch to heat it up would definitely help though.
I have a guy at work that builds race cars he has a break I will have him bend these since they are on the base plate I will just use a torch & vise for the flat bar supports though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if this works out, would you mind cutting and bending an extra one? :)
I would but most of the tools that I am using I am barrowing so I am not going to push my favors.... Should be pretty easy to take to a metal shop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would but most of the tools that I am using I am barrowing so I am not going to push my favors.... Should be pretty easy to take to a metal shop.
No worries, I just figured I'd ask.

This looks like it'd be a perfect project to learn welding. Too bad I don't know anyone with the right equipment:(

Guess I'll have to start searching for a local machining shop.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get yourself a welder from harbor fright for 100 and a mask for 40 just dont expect it to be the best quality.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey , nice work so far!
JPRIMERO you could always bolt the flat stock to the base plate if you don't have access to a welder.
@ scott26 i'm curious to see if you're gonna make the flat bar come back up to "hover" over the rear seat just enough to be able to unlatch it?? I wanted to do that but i needed mine for 2up riding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey , nice work so far!
JPRIMERO you could always bolt the flat stock to the base plate if you don't have access to a welder.
@ scott26 i'm curious to see if you're gonna make the flat bar come back up to "hover" over the rear seat just enough to be able to unlatch it?? I wanted to do that but i needed mine for 2up riding.
For my current needs (only a top case), I could probably get away with bolting a single piece of flat stock (that extends to both sides of the bike) right to the base plate. The downside of this is finding a balance between thickness/strength so I still have enough clearance to make some sort of hoop to act as the seat catch.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey , nice work so far!
Mine is going to be hanging off the back for 2 up riding.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I am able to get some more done on this project been really busy since the start of a new semester. But I was able to get another piece of metal bent up this one will mount to the plate and have the rear flat bar welded onto it, it is 12" long.

·
Registered
835 Posts
that looks like it's good enough to clear the tail plastics. nice! glad to see you're still working on this.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the plans for it to be shallower but started to think when I put weight on the back it will probably flex some so I really only need 1/2" of clearance but went with 3/4" to be safe. So in the end I bent the angles at 35 degrees one inch apart.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh an I learned how to use an acetylene torch today so I can make the rest of the bends from here on out. Just have to do the seat latch and the back plates with some gassets then done! I really want to powder coat it along with some other stuff off the bike but I don't think that is in the budget right now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The piece is rubbing the tail plastics just a little bit so I have some more scrap steel so I am just going to rebend it this time instead of having only 1" of run in the 35 degree angle I am going to do 1 1/2" of run in the angle that should give me so more clearance.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Just FYI, you don't need all that steel to support the weight of the topcase.

Designing something similar to SWMotech's ALURack would work much better and still allow you to access your fuses w/o having to take off your entire topcase assembly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts