Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you got a fender eliminator and don't feel like paying $20 for a plate light, you don't have to. Ride on down to radioshack and get 4, 3.3V white LED's.

you should also have a
hot glue gun
soldering iron and solder
some wire
wire cutters

Take this piece off the bike (mine had a hole in it for some reason? But im going to get the bike painted sometime so i filled it in.)

Drill four holes, you should angle them toward the license plate because LED's have a low viewing angle.

You have to solder the LED's in series. (so the 4 3.3V LEDs will act as a 13.2V bulb, and not burn out) LED's do have polarity so you have to pay special attention to which side is + or -. If you look closely at an led one side is flat.( the flat side if + .?)

Use hot glue to keep the LED in place and solder them together in series, NOT PARALLEL they will burn out instantly.

I sanded off the paint when i filled in the hole, this is how it looked. Covered the leads in hot glue to prevent it from shorting out in rain.

Connected it

and

if it doesn't turn on, make sure your polarity is correct.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Nice idea. We call that a "plate light"

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is there any need for a resistor to limit voltage? Or are you just betting on the 13.2v light being powered by a 12v source to control that?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
that actally looks reallly nice....
its alot better that that POS plate light that comes with the targa kit

·
Registered
404 Posts
Neat. Radio Shack also has blue LEDs in the same size (no voltage listed, but assume its the same). That would be an interesting add-on to match the color of the bike with the LED color.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I think you have to be careful about the current going thru the LEDs. If it's too much, they heat up. When they heat up, they can withstand less current passing thru. Sort of a vicious cycle of failure.

There are LED circuit calculators that help you choose the right resistor for the number of LEDs and current.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think you have to be careful about the current going thru the LEDs. If it's too much, they heat up. When they heat up, they can withstand less current passing thru. Sort of a vicious cycle of failure.

There are LED circuit calculators that help you choose the right resistor for the number of LEDs and current.
he's fine with those. He has them at about the right voltage and those particular ones don't consume anywhere near enough power to require a heatsink or anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I may try that myself...if I can get the nerve up to do some electrical work like that. (I can see it now...."man blows up house with DIY tail light...":'(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts