Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching on here for a while now, and I have yet to see a complete posting of how someone power coated their rims. (Maybe I just don't know how to look. :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I was wondering if any of my fellow SV riders would help me out and explain the procedural parts of powder coating the wheels. Pictures say a thousand words, so if ya have any, post them!

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think most people who have powdercoated rims have let a shop do them. i don't know a ton about the process, but i know you have to have a special sprayer (or nozzle, not sure) and an oven big enough to put the wheel in after it has been sprayed.

maybe that helps, or maybe you know something i don't know lol

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I have been searching on here for a while now, and I have yet to see a complete posting of how someone power coated their rims. (Maybe I just don't know how to look. :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I was wondering if any of my fellow SV riders would help me out and explain the procedural parts of powder coating the wheels. Pictures say a thousand words, so if ya have any, post them!

Thanks
I think you're looking in the wrong place. :)

Better to just do a general Google search on DIY powdercoating. IMO, unless you're just enthralled with the idea of learning the process you'll decide it's better left to the pros.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have never powder coated anything before, but I was looking into doing it myself. some things you will need in order to do it right.
1. air compressor
2. powder coating gun. (you can buy them cheap from harbor freight)
3. and electric oven. (this is very important. the fumes can ignite if you use a gas oven)
4. a sand or media blaster to remove all of the old powdercoating or paint
5. high temperature silicone plugs (to keep the powder out of the axle holes)

from what I understand there is alot of fumes created when doing this. you might not want to do this in your kitchen. I have heard of people using taoster ovens and getting good results, but that isnt going to work for wheels.

good luck, and post some pics if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
lol that sounds pretty hard/complicated...I'm thinking on painting mine blue...letting the pros take care of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is the powder coating gun from harbor freight any good? It has some pretty good reviews.. The people said it was a simple process

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The biggest problem I came across when I was thinking about powder coating my own stuff was that you have to have an electric oven big enough to bake the part in after you coat them.
that's the biggest issue. finding functional ovens for cheap is easy on craigslist, but finding one big enough to fit wheels, swingarms and other parts is tough.

if i had the free time and not the money to start PC'ing parts myself i'd do it. since i don't have the free time i don't do it, i'll just pay someone.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
that's the biggest issue. finding functional ovens for cheap is easy on craigslist, but finding one big enough to fit wheels, swingarms and other parts is tough.

If i had the free time and not the money to start PC'ing parts myself i'd do it. since i don't have the free time i don't do it, i'll just pay someone.
Finding one big enough was exactly what kept me from pursuing powder coating myself. The only way it would be worth it is to build your own custom oven that would be big enough for the parts you want to PC.

At the time that I was looking I didn't have the space for a big home built oven, now I do so I may consider it again when I have some extra cash and time for another project.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You could probably find a used electric pottery kiln for the oven. They usually run on 220V and are not cheap even when used. Anything is possible if you have the desire and proper environment to work in.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The powder coating gun from harbor freight works just fiine. I used high temp tape instead of plugs. I pcd my top triple calipers and rear passenger pegs. I think u could fit one wheel in an oven just supporting it is the trick.

·
Super Moderator
6,905 Posts
The biggest problem I came across when I was thinking about powder coating my own stuff was that you have to have an electric oven big enough to bake the part in after you coat them.
For rims, this is the biggest issue.

Paint is OK, but if you value durability, PC is way ahead.

A regular price for a cycle rim, blasted and coated in a single-stage powder (no clear or second coat) is about $75 to $100. Slightly more for wide rear rim.

Adding clear or using a 2-stage powder usually adds 50% to the single stage price.

Jay

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Get friendly with your local pizza shop and throw them in their oven. I wouldn't hesitate at that price to have a pro do my wheels. What's next, doing your own electroplating?

·
Registered
185 Posts
you lot have no sense of adventure.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of the thread is that he wants to do things himself... not pay someone.

I am exactly the same. i will do things myself, that cost the same as getting a pro to do it, because it is great fun and there is no better way to learn than to do.

BTW painting is pretty durable. Before i took my wheels off they had been on for about 8k kms with black paint on them (and this was just cheap rattle can black) and they didn't have one chip on them. and i'm not scared of dirt or gravel either.

·
Super Moderator
6,905 Posts
(SNIP)BTW painting is pretty durable. Before i took my wheels off they had been on for about 8k kms with black paint on them (and this was just cheap rattle can black) and they didn't have one chip on them. and i'm not scared of dirt or gravel either.
Not compared to powder it isn't.

Durability for wheels is more about changing tires than riding in gravel.

Jay

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Get friendly with your local pizza shop and throw them in their oven. I wouldn't hesitate at that price to have a pro do my wheels. What's next, doing your own electroplating?
I haven't worked at a pizza shop, but I'm guessing most use gas ovens. For powder coating it has to be an electric oven.

Yes it is much cheaper to have a pro do one set of rims, but like most tools the more you use them the better the value becomes. Plus being able to hook up your buddies or make a little money on the side is always nice too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts