Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just made this thread for anyone who happens to be like me and buys a set of lower fairings and doesn't get all the hardware.

I was sent bolts of the wrong length, 2 shims and 2 sleeves and the fairings. What I was missing was the bottom/rear brackets that attach the fairings to the engine mounts.

So, I went to my local Kragens (aka O'Reilly's) and bought 1 pkg of m6-1.0 bolts and 1 pkg of starter shims.

The shims have 5 pcs of varying thicknesses. I used the two thickest ones for my brackets.

This is what the thicker shim looks like all marked up for the right side bracket. You can see the marks on the right that indicate where I should bend.

Here is the shim bent into shape:

Note: I did it backward, using the thicker shim on the right and second thickest on the left. The second thickest would have been much easier to bend.

I used 2 pairs of crescent wrenches to bend the shim into my new bracket and used a pair of tin snips to cut the end to proper length. I then put the bracket in place and shoved a permanent marker through mounting hole on my fairing to mark where I needed my hole. I used a 1/4" hole punch which comes in very handy every rare occasion that I need it.

Here is the right side mounted:

Left side was very easy...just straight with a hole for the mounting screw. The stock forked end needed to be widened a bit with my dremel to accomodate the bolt for my kickstand.

Note: Since my shifter is set up GP style, the lever hits my fairing when downshifting. The fairing moves each time, which is good, but I know eventually it will wear through. I will probably cut out a notch or heat and reshape that section at another time.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm glad someone can use this info. As for my shifter, I took it off and rotated it counter clockwise one notch and it works great.

If anyone is interested, I couldn't handle having this giant hole in the front of my bike so I made a front grille for it. Linky is here -> http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=136201

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
That is a fantastic idea! I ended up fabricating mine out of .75" aluminum stock from Home Depot but this is an ideal solution. Tip o' the hat to you!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the lazy vote...lol. I just lined up the fairing with my casing so it looked straight and just used my finger as a measuring point. Once I had the fairings on and started on the two brackets, it was only like 20-30 mins to mod/bend/mount them.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!

Hi JollyGQ, any chance you'd measure the bend on d right hand shim for me!!?? Or am I being very lazy!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well sure u cant blame a lad for trying!! Im Not loving MParker jumping in and calling me lazy either by the way, I'll accept it from you though considering you've helped me loads!!

Oh and by the way, I do like the grille u made, i my in the future do something like this, if i do il prob spray it Black to match my bike but again, fair play, nice job.

Also u mentioned putting some LED's in there as well, came across this on ebay tonight it may be of some interest to you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV650-...58?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ad600ef0a

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL...Getting me to go out and measure it is what proves I'm lazier cuz I won't do it...it's cold out there! LOL. Thanks for the link to the light. It's a cool fixture, but if I got it, I'd gut it and replace it with brighter LEDs...lol. I've got LEDs all over my bike...blue accents, red accents, red 3rd brake lights, yellow signals...I love LEDs. My fender mods are temp until I can delete it completely with an undertail. If you want some cool bright LEDs, check out plasmaled.com. I got all my LEDs from there except my yellow ones for my signals...I got those from a company in Canada.

Well sure u cant blame a lad for trying!! Im Not loving MParker jumping in and calling me lazy either by the way, I'll accept it from you though considering you've helped me loads!! If you want some cool bright LEDs, check out plasmaled.com. I got all my LEDs from there except my yellow ones for my signals...I got those from a company in Canada.

Oh and by the way, I do like the grille u made, i my in the future do something like this, if i do il prob spray it Black to match my bike but again, fair play, nice job.

Also u mentioned putting some LED's in there as well, came across this on ebay tonight it may be of some interest to you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV650-...58?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ad600ef0a

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.