Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SV aficionados,

In the quest learning more about microprocessors, I took upon Nucular's idea of developing a GSXR electronic steering damper controller.
My end solution is a simple "digital" controller that will enable the damper to full ONLY above certain speed. Below that speed, the damper will be disabled. I did much investigation in the controlling method and determined that, given the mechanical nature of the solenoid in the damper, an ON/OFF controller give the best results and reliability.
The electronics are relatively simple off the shelf components. The microcontroller of choice is a ATTiny85 (the same I used in the DIY brake flasher).
Here are some pictures of the controller. The damper is mounted on the bike using Nucular's hardware. The controller plugs to the damper and it is connected to 12V power and the speed sensor.
If anyone is interested on this, contact me.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is really really sweet. Seems much more efficient than the non-electronic damper if you're capable of setting that limit. Is there a default speed or is it adjustable? And how so?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Right now, the activation speed is defined in the firmware and is not adjustable. I personally have it set to 50 mph, however, I can program it to be whatever I want by reprogramming the microprocessor.
I could, in theory, make the activation speed adjustable by the user at will by adding some extra components to the circuit (some resistors and a potentiometer).

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Cool project Soliton!

Dig the little 8 pin ATTiny85. :thumbsup:

btw, what programmer do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool project Soliton!

Dig the little 8 pin ATTiny85. :thumbsup:

btw, what programmer do you use?
Thanks Tee!

I'm using the arduino UNO board itself setup as a programmer. For these simple projects, the ATTiny85 works great! There is 8k of memory (plenty) and enough inputs/outputs.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree with TeeRiver, cool project :)

You should try etching your own boards. Not that hard with the "Toner Transfer" method and really rewarding. Did you try an effecient MOSFET for this solution? Maybe you could eliminate the need for the heatsink.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with TeeRiver, cool project :)

You should try etching your own boards. Not that hard with the "Toner Transfer" method and really rewarding. Did you try an effecient MOSFET for this solution? Maybe you could eliminate the need for the heatsink.
Thanks Kod!

Actually, the heatsink in this case is not for the transistor. It is used for one of the voltage regulators.
I will (eventally) look into making some PCBs. I like what you've done with the assheater2000. It would get rid of the jumpers and solder bridges for sure.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh I see.
What voltage are you regulating down to? From 12V to...?

I haven't tried myself, but you might be able to use a switching regulators which has better efficiency when regulating voltages compared to common linear regulators. Might be interesting to look into. There's some info here about the matter, near the bottom of the page.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I see.
What voltage are you regulating down to? From 12V to...?

I haven't tried myself, but you might be able to use a switching regulators which has better efficiency when regulating voltages compared to common linear regulators. Might be interesting to look into. There's some info here about the matter, near the bottom of the page.
Thanks Kod! I'm operating the damper's solenoid at 6v. I did some measurements and determine that over 6v the damping resistance is pretty much the same (from 6v to 12v).

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, I just had a forum member ask me if the damper controller would work in a "metric" bike. The answer is YES. The activation speed is calculated independent of the speedometer in the bike. All it matters is what type of sensor is being used in the bike. I would need to know that so the uC can be programmed correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello SV aficionados,

In the same style as my brake light flasher module, I went ahead and made a custom PCB for the GSXR electronic steering damper controller. The result is a much cleaner module which is very easy to assemble. The control electronics and damping algorithm are still the same as with the previous RadioShack over the counter PCB.
Check out the size relative to a book of matches.
If anyone is interested in one of these controllers, drop me a pm.
Ride safe everyone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.