Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video describes the operation of a DIY brake light flasher that I designed, built, and installed in my 06 SV650 (it could be modified to run incandecent brake light as well). The "brains" of the flasher is a uC (Atmel ATTiny85).

There are two operation modes:
1) Flasher mode. The brake light will flash 7 times when the brakes are applied and then 3 times every 5 seconds or so if the brakes are kept applied. The cycle repeats itself everytime the brakes are released and reapplied.
2) Normal OEM brake mode. The brake light behaves as from the factory.

The operation mode selection is done when the bike's ingnition switch is turned on (beggining of the ride). The brake flasher is fully plug and play (no wires cut or spliced).

The video is not very good (my first) and the volume is low, but, you'll get the hang of it. I'll work on becoming a better videographer.:lmao:

http://youtu.be/Fv6k-eL7tmA

Salud! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me start by making some remarks. I made this little device to become familiar with uC and the Arduino platform. Brake flashers are nothing new and can be bought relatively cheap. There are different versions with all sorts of different flashing modes. I didn't see one that was both: plug and play and also allowed me to operate the brake lights as stock if desired. So with that in mind, I started the proyect.
Although most of the electronic components in the flasher are simple and can be bought in RadioShack, if you need to get the Arduino hardware (to program the uC), the finall cost of the flasher will be much more than you'll pay for an "off the shelf" one.

Right now I have the electrical schematics in a crude, hand written form. I could work on getting that in a more respectable form soon. I could also put together a parts list with suppliers.

If after reading my initial statement anyone is still interested, I'll work on it.

Salud :eek:ccasion14:

PS. After watching the video again I apologize for my terrible spanish accent. 23 years in the US and I sound like I just came off the boat ;D

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm actually taking a circuits class (although more biomedical related) so it's more thought provoking for me than anything.

I was going over the data sheet of the uC and tried to understand it but failed... :p

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I thought it would be cool to use an arduino to rig up chasing LEDs on the SV - or maybe flowing up and down ALA Knight Rider.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LOL. I forgot about KARR. I remember when I was a kid, the rumor was that a midget was in the seat and thats how they drove it.

·
Super Moderator
8,361 Posts
... I made this little device to become familiar with uC and the Arduino platform.
Excellent job Soliton, I like it! :thumbsup: Nice how you made it selectable at startup.

I do the same thing when I want to learn new hardware/software; pick a project and jump in! Anything you need to learn will immediately become apparent. Sometimes frustrating but always satisfying finding solutions and when things start working. :)

btw, your video is fine, foreign accents rule, one thing that attracted me to my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not complicated to make (assemble). It basically requires soldering the components into a blank PBC. The PCB is just a generic, RadioShack prototype PCB so some wiring soldering is required as well.
The hardest part (not really hardest but it requires the most hardware) is loading the firmware to the uC.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Definitely interested. I'm a little unclear as to how you switch between modes. You were not pressing the brake either time when you first turned the ignition. Do you have to press the brake within a certain amount of time to select the mode? And who cares about the accent, I understood every word you said.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely interested. I'm a little unclear as to how you switch between modes. You were not pressing the brake either time when you first turned the ignition. Do you have to press the brake within a certain amount of time to select the mode? And who cares about the accent, I understood every word you said.
To operate in flasher mode, no need to do anything, just turn the ignition on.
To operate in OEM, non flashing mode, turn the ignition on while pressing one of the brake levers (hand or foot).
To switch back between modes, turn the ignition off and repeat as above.
The reason why you don't see me press the brake while selecting the OEM mode is because I was using the foot brake. I couldn't hold the camera, turn the ignition, and press the hand brake at the same time. During "normal" non filming operation, I would most likely use the hand brake if I wanted to select OEM mode.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is the electrical schematic and parts list of the brake light flasher.
Although it is not complicated to assemble, soldering skills are needed.
I specify most components from mouser.com but, radio shack also has equivalent components that will work. The only parts that I couldn't find locally are the Sumitomo connectors. These I had to get from easternbeaver.com (in Japan). These connectors are needed only to make the flasher PnP. If you dont mind tapping into the existing wire harness, then they are not needed.
I haven't worked into making an assembly procedure but, I don't think it is really needed. The component placement within the PCB is totally flexible (as long as the electrical schematic is followed). If anyone is really interested in building this, send me a PM regarding programming the uC.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68432903/Brake Flasher_003.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you explain to me what purpose the inductors and coil serve?
Nuc,

The inductors are "smoothing" out any high fluctuations in voltage from the bike's electrical system. They are probably not super critical and the voltage regulators will do some smoothing themselves but I added them for extra stability.
The coil/solenoid is acting as the switch which either opens or closes the +12V signal for the brake light (and makes it flash). The uC/TIP120 are controlling the coil/solenod.

·
Super Moderator
8,361 Posts
Hey Soliton, nice schematic/parts list link!

Two observations:
1. Might be able to simplify by driving the brake light directly using a TIP125(PNP) instead of a TIP120(NPN), then no relay (coil) necessary.

2. Maybe eliminate U3 and associated components; just use the R1 R2 brake signal input? How come two brake light signal inputs to the uC?

Nice project! :)

1 - 20 of 311 Posts