Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't read all the comments so forgive me if I am repeating anything. I did a lot of research on the TRE mod and came to a free solution you can do with electrical tape and your bike's toolkit.
I tested this on my partner's bike and it made an unbelievable difference.
I have the 2018 SV650 and it's great but her 2011 one was weird. I don't know if it was just hers or not but everytime me or her downshifted without rev matching, the rear wheel locked up and skidded.
The free TRE mod I'm about to explain fixed it and made downshifting very smooth and eliminated the rear wheel lock... No idea why.

So basically, manufacturers need to adhear to certain rules. Noise an emissions. To get around this, they do little things like bulky mufflers to reduce both. They also make the rear sprocket smaller than it should be to make street speeds rev lower therefore using less fuel and making less noise.

Now the cake.... They retard the ignition timing in gears 1-3 (the ones used most on the street) so the spark plug fires when the piston is already on its way down. This creates slightly less power but adhears to the rules by reducing noise.
Now you can buy the TRE mod for the dude's outrageous price for a glorified resistor, or you can do what I did.
There is a plug under the left side of the tank. One wire is the signal wire to tell the ECU the bike is in neutral, and one is to say it's in gears 1-3. Obviously if there is no signal from either wire, that's how the ECU knows it's in gears 4-6.
Literally all the resister does is tell the ECU it's in gears 4-6 by changing the signal.
Or what I did.... Pull the wire out of the plug that indicates gears 1-3 and the ECU will always think it's in gears 4-6. Leave the neutral wire in of course. Then just tape up the end of the wire with electrical tape. Voila, free TRE.

All you need is an Allen key from your toolkit or one from a hardware store for about $5 to unbolt the tank at the front to lift it up.

It smoothes out her bike insanely and made it unbelievably easy to ride, especially coming to a stop, crusing and lane filtering.

I can't remember what the plug looked like but I'm pretty sure it had 2 or 3 wires. It was a while ago. I'll have a look tomorrow if I remember and take a photo.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im doing a service on her bike tomorrow arvo so I'll take a photo of where the plug is etc. I'll also show which wire to pull and indentifiers like colour as well as resistance for each wire because some years might have slightly different colours.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Plug and Play Smart (aTRE) for '03-'09 SV650

Finally got her bike into my shop and got some photos for everyone :)

First, unbolt the two bolts holding down the tank at the front and prop it up with whatever tickles your fancy. I used wood.

I've got a few photos getting closer each time so you can see where to look. It's on the left side of the bike on the rear cylinder.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

This is the plug. It's sort of square and looks like it could have 4 wires but actually only has 3.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Auto part Wire Fuel line Engine Cable

And these are the 3 wires. They're basically just signal wires saying to the ECU "I'm in neutral" or "I'm in the first three gears".

One is black/white which is the ground wire. One should be blue, indicating the neutral wire. And in the photo below, the one to pull will be another colour, in this case light pink (for some reason it looks white in my photo).

Make sure you tape up the end of the wire once you pull it so it doesn't short out or do anything nasty.

You need something really thin like a paper clip or needle/pin to push the inside tab in to easily slide the wire out intact. I didn't think to photo this so I apologise.

Wire Auto part Fuel line Electrical wiring Cable

If your bike has different colours, don't worry. If you pull the neutral wire out, all that will happen is your neutral light most likely won't light up on the dash and/or you won't be able to start your bike in neutral as the ECU will think you're in gear 4,5 or 6. If that happens, just put the wire back in the plug and pull the other coloured wire. It should definitely have some sort of black or black/white wire to identify the ground.

I'm exhausted and it's late so forgive me if I forgot anything.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Plug and Play Smart (aTRE) for '03-'09 SV650

In this photo of the wiring diagram I just found, at the bottom on the left of the fuse box is the gear position switch. It has the same coloured wires as the ones from the photos of my partner's bike. I looked for the wiring diagram to show you all that it is the right plug just for your piece of mind that you're doing the right thing :)

Text Diagram Line Plan Architecture

·
Super Moderator
9,143 Posts
... Pull the wire out of the plug that indicates gears 1-3 and the ECU will always think it's in gears 4-6. Leave the neutral wire in of course. Then just tape up the end of the wire with electrical tape. Voila, free TRE.
^^^
Do not do this! Removing the Pink gear position wire from the plug will force the ECM to select the Neutral ignition timing and Neutral fuel maps at all times. Definitely not what you want.

The easiest way to add aTRE to the SV650 is install a 2.7k ohm resistor in-line on the Pink gear position sensor wire. Note, 2.7k ohms is different from the 6.8k posted most places on SV forums. 6.8k is for the SV1000, not the SV650. The SV650 gear position sensor has a different resistor set (lower across the board) than the SV1k so requires a smaller aTRE resistor value.

Basically the idea is to add resistance to the standard selected gear position resistor to make gears 1 thru 3 appear like 4th, 5th, or 6th.

- Adding less than 1k ohm will not bump 1st gear voltage high enough.
- Adding more than about 5.6k ohms will make 6th gear look like Neutral.
- 2.7k ohms is a good in-between value.

With 2.7k ohms installed:
1st = 3.78v (higher than stock 3rd gear, see chart below, good)
2nd = 3.83v
3rd = 3.94v
4th = 4.09v
5th = 4.40v
6th = 4.64v (lower than Neutral, good)

Here is the stock SV650 gear position voltage map for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
^^^

Do not do this! Removing the Pink gear position wire from the plug will force the ECM to select the Neutral ignition timing and Neutral fuel maps at all times. Definitely not what you want.

The easiest way to add aTRE to the SV650 is install a 2.7k ohm resistor in-line on the Pink gear position sensor wire. Note, 2.7k ohms is different from the 6.8k posted most places on SV forums. 6.8k is for the SV1000, not the SV650. The SV650 gear position sensor has a different resistor set (lower across the board) than the SV1k so requires a smaller aTRE resistor value.

Basically the idea is to add resistance to the standard selected gear position resistor to make gears 1 thru 3 appear like 4th, 5th, or 6th.

- Adding less than 1k ohm will not bump 1st gear voltage high enough.

- Adding more than about 5.6k ohms will make 6th gear look like Neutral.

- 2.7k ohms is a good in-between value.

With 2.7k ohms installed:

1st = 3.78v (higher than stock 3rd gear, see chart below, good)

2nd = 3.83v

3rd = 3.94v

4th = 4.09v

5th = 4.40v

6th = 4.64v (lower than Neutral, good)

Here is the stock SV650 gear position voltage map for reference.

Is the 2.7k ohm resistor for all 650 Gens?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.