Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like beer, have so for many years. I've discovered several craft breweries that specialize in na beer. So I started trying them. Some of them are really good! Its great to kick back after a ride and have a beer. Some of the IPA are fantastic, you might be pleasantly surprised. The only thing with na craft beers is they tend to be pricey.

Here is a great podcast interview with founder of Athletic Brewing
https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/a...comment-474130

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sometimes myself and the guys I ride with stop for a beer mid ride and I prefer to have a NA beer to get my wits sharp as we ride briskly. Unfortunately the only NA beer they tend to have is Heineken and it's not that great. Looking forward to the day they get some crafty ones in.

·
Registered
751 Posts
What's popular in Germany as an after sports drink when you potentially could get drunk quickly is to have a "Radler". It's half Lager beer and half lemon soda (usually Sprite).
It's called Shandy in England I believe. Or substitute the lemon soda with Cola (called "Diesel" in Germany).
Another concoction I can highly recommend is mixing Guinness stout with ginger beer (it's a type of soda, not actually beer). Quite popular in the Caribbean I hear.
Those are obviously not non-alcoholic, but with half the alcohol content than normal, one beer should be fine. And all preferable to watered down Heineken.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I like beer, have so for many years. I've discovered several craft breweries that specialize in na beer. So I started trying them. Some of them are really good! Its great to kick back after a ride and have a beer. Some of the IPA are fantastic, you might be pleasantly surprised. The only thing with na craft beers is they tend to be pricey.

Here is a great podcast interview with founder of Athletic Brewing
https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/a...comment-474130
Funny you posted this, just the other day I read this article:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's popular in Germany as an after sports drink when you potentially could get drunk quickly is to have a "Radler". It's half Lager beer and half lemon soda (usually Sprite).
It's called Shandy in England I believe. Or substitute the lemon soda with Cola (called "Diesel" in Germany).
Another concoction I can highly recommend is mixing Guinness stout with ginger beer (it's a type of soda, not actually beer). Quite popular in the Caribbean I hear.
Those are obviously not non-alcoholic, but with half the alcohol content than normal, one beer should be fine. And all preferable to watered down Heineken.
I'm going to try the Guinness w/ginger beer, just picked up both tonight, sounds good!

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's called Shandy in England I believe.
Kinda popular as light drink here in North West Italy too.
It's called "panaché".

On the other hand, in the US you have that great soda named Mountain Dew (that unfortunately isn't available in Italy) that is vastly superior to Sprite.
I miss it (along with several other things from the US).

Reactions: sv650bklyn

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
In northern Germany, they call it alsterwasser, referring to Lake Alster in Hamburg. Leave it to the arrogant north Germans to commandeer radlers from the southerners. (I can say this because my wife is from Hamburg.);)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kinda popular as light drink here in North West Italy too.
It's called "panaché".

On the other hand, in the US you have that great soda named Mountain Dew (that unfortunately isn't available in Italy) that is vastly superior to Sprite.
I had a MtDew in Canada many years ago, and it had no caffeine in it. ☹

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow, I will check this out. I was a brewer in Chicago for several years and since moving to SoCal I was able to shake what was evidently a pretty severe alcohol habit if I'm being completely honest. For the last couple of years I've been doing maybe a beer out with friends once or twice a month but that's about it; it just doesn't even appeal to me anymore. Reeds Ginger Beer has been a discovery though, I really have been enjoying it! A non-alcohol IPA would be cool, what has been your favorite in that category?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Curious, why non-alcoholic beer? Sorry if it derails the topic a bit. For me, the alky is the only reason I drink beer. I generally don’t like the taste (esp IPA). If I want something non-alcoholic, there are many other tasty options.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I take a break on a long ride I stick to the 2 wheels 2 beers rule. And not in ten minutes, LOL

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I will check this out. I was a brewer in Chicago for several years and since moving to SoCal I was able to shake what was evidently a pretty severe alcohol habit if I'm being completely honest. For the last couple of years I've been doing maybe a beer out with friends once or twice a month but that's about it; it just doesn't even appeal to me anymore. Reeds Ginger Beer has been a discovery though, I really have been enjoying it! A non-alcohol IPA would be cool, what has been your favorite in that category?
Athletic Brewing's Run Wild IPA, probably the best NA beer I've tried

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curious, why non-alcoholic beer? Sorry if it derails the topic a bit. For me, the alky is the only reason I drink beer. I generally don’t like the taste (esp IPA). If I want something non-alcoholic, there are many other tasty options.
I like the taste of a good beer and while on the bike I don't want any kind of a buzz, stay frosty. That includes alcohol and flower.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Athletic Brewing's Run Wild IPA, probably the best NA beer I've tried
I'll check it out. I read that NY'er article about them yesterday, it sounded interesting.
It's funny, when I was getting to the end of my own brewing "career" as it were, I was getting more and more into the session beers which take a considerable amount of effort to make clean and consistent compared to stronger beers. My go-to was Guinness as it's just about the best light beer I've ever had (in the 4%abv range) and it's a tough brew to nail. I've actually toured the Guinness brewery in Ireland multiple times to study their process and came to the conclusion that it's not even worth attempting on a nano/pico level. Just one aspect of the complexity of that beer: it's actually a 5% blended lacto sour that goes through a pseudo-lagering process. It then goes through a pasteurization process that is simply impractical to attempt on the scale I was operating on. To top it off, I was attempting a 3.5% version (non-sour, of course) that tasted dead on for about 5 days after I finished my lagering process. Once it hit a week, it just became a thin, flavorless shadow of what it once was :cautious:
The experimentation was fun, I really enjoyed that aspect. It is an art, but it's a risky business to get into. I met a lot of good people, but also many, many people who were struggling with substance abuse and a severe disconnect from their true self and families. I could relate to the discussion and sense of "new" that the owners and head brewer at Athletic discussed with the person writing the article, I think they have an opportunity to really do something cool.

·
Registered
2000 SV650
26 Posts
Mt. Dew is nectar from the gods.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts