Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss. I want a disc lock to fit a 07 gsxr 600 front end. dont know which are good so some tips would be helpful.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
482 Posts
I put my lock on the rear disc. To get around the front disc lock, thieves just put the bike in neutral, lift the front wheel and push it into their stolen truck/van. Not going to stop a determined thief, but it makes it a bit harder.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kryptonite all the way... If a thief wants to steal your bike, it doesn't matter what you have on it. BUT like mentioned before, it is a good piece of mind.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I have 2... a Xena and another one I can't for the life of me recall at the moment.

I put the Xena on the front wheel because it has an alarm and if anyone jiggles the bike it goes off on the front more easily than the rear (more jiggle). The alarm is mostly to keep people from sitting on my dang bike.

I put the other one on the rear for security due to reasons stinky_finger said above.

·
Registered
358 Posts
When and if you get one make sure you get the little orange tether with it. It attaches from the disc lock to the handlebars when the lock is on as a reminder. Seen a buddy of mine do over $1000 damage to his brand new DUC by leaving his disc lock on and driving away cause he forgot it was there. By the way love my Bullydog. Have had it for 2 years no problems use it every day in all kinds of weather.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. i know it doesnt make it impossible to steal i just need something for piece ofmind. I cant lock th steering on the gsxr front end so i want something.

edit: i looked at the websites. which style is better. the one that looks like a little u lock (oval design) or the one that looks like it just slips over the rotor. i would think the one that slips over the rotor? looks like it would be harder to grind or cut off.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I put my lock on the rear disc. To get around the front disc lock, thieves just put the bike in neutral, lift the front wheel and push it into their stolen truck/van. Not going to stop a determined thief, but it makes it a bit harder.
Or they could just use 2-3 guys and pick up the whole bike. LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dont do it. You WILL forget its there and take off with it still locked leading to costly ass repairs.

I know right now your saying "I am not that stupid" trust me you are. I know 3 people who have used them in the past and every single on of them has forgotten and fugded there bike. It will happen.

If someone wants your bike they will just pick it up and put it in a van. Also keep in mind that you ride a girls bike RR's and Harley gets stolen much less so with SV's.

Your better off buying insurance than a disk lock.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dont do it. You WILL forget its there and take off with it still locked leading to costly ass repairs.

I know right now your saying "I am not that stupid" trust me you are. I know 3 people who have used them in the past and every single on of them has forgotten and fugded there bike. It will happen.

If someone wants your bike they will just pick it up and put it in a van. Also keep in mind that you ride a girls bike RR's and Harley gets stolen much less so with SV's.

If you roll away without seeing the long florescent orange tether on the lock, you shouldn't be riding motorcycle. If anything you do a T-CLOCS before each ride. It only takes few moments to walk around your bike before a ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Luma XMART. It acts as your left foot peg when it's not on your rotor. If you get on the bike while its locked on the rotor, your left foot has no peg and you can't get into gear, almost impossible to rip your calipers out. Also nothing banging around under your pillion, your lock is securely fastened and doesn't add much wait as it subsitutes another part. It works well, although if you're totally vain it does change the symmetry of the bike by a very subtle amount.

The quality of the lock itself is very good. But even if they got it cut off, they couldn't ride around easily without a left footpeg.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can unlock a kryptonite lock in a few seconds with a BIC pin...check out youtube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes forget about the fact Kryptonite recalled all those locks with a full replacement and hasn't manufactured one with that vulnerability for years. Companies actually CAN redeem themselves after a mistake, you know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
meh.

I have a disc lock on my bike right now, but that's because it's already in my complex's underground garage, stuck between my car and the wall, with security doing sweeps every half hour.

a disc lock will only stop the very casual "spur of the moment thiefs", it certainly won't stop any professionals who will just pick your bike up anyways.

·
Registered
358 Posts

We ride girls bikes huh!!!! You ride a moped on steroids.Sorry to thread jack but that is messed up from someone who rides a 500 ninja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dont have the ninja anymore. 01 svn

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guys, i get that if a theif wants your bike they will take it. All i wanted what to know was what kind of disc lock is best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts