Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My most recent transaction with STG has been most disappointing to say the least. I've already posted this on OCMOTO and felt I should share my experience with the folks here.

I went down on the track last Sunday on the 25th of Nov. I needed replacement to my rear set, sliders and clip-on bars. I called in to STG on Monday, Nov 26 to order replacements and a new set of tires. I was told that all the parts other than the tires were to be shipped direct from Woodcraft and the tires will be shipped from them since they have them in stock at their warehouse. I was assured delivery by Wednesday, Dec 5. I have expressed my urgency to them to get the parts because I need to be back on the track on Saturday Dec 8.

I called in to check on my order today and was told that they were sitting on all the parts but the tires and they will be shipped out this Friday, Dec 7.
Long story short, after going back and fourth, I had to have them express deliver all the Woodcraft parts out to me so that I can get them on Friday. This will cost me an additional $38 to ship. Tires, I will not get till after my track, so I'll have to run on the tires I went down on this weekend.

I've had good experience with STG in the past when I was shopping for gear and when I was not in a rush to get my order. I put my thrust in them to come through for me this time round and ordered ALL my parts through them. They've really let me down this time and this is when I really needed it most. They could have emailed me or call me to inform me of the delay. If I have not called, or called later, I would have missed track altogether. I'm spending in excess of $600 on this receipt, the very least they could do was give me a heads-up that delivery was going to take more than 2 weeks so I can make plans!

To make things worse, I called them back a little later the same morning to cancel my tire order. I was unable to do that. Apparently the tires were just shipped off. I guess they went out right after I called them in the morning with questions on my order. So I'll be getting a fresh set of tires right after my track.

I just have to say it, the more I think about this whole situation, the more its putting a bad taste in my mouth. This just spoiled my entire desire for this track weekend.

All I can hope for now is that my parts will not get delayed further and that all parts ordered are right. I'll have Friday night to put everything back together for Saturday morning. If there's any further hiccups, I'll most certainly miss my track day.

With my recent experience, I cannot in any good conscience recommend STG to anyone who is in need of critical and time sensitive hardware for their motorcycle. It is unfortunate, but I will be bringing business elsewhere next time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hmm .. sorry to hear about your experience. Don't let it spoil your track day though. You SoCal guys are so lucky to have your season still so deep into Dec.

Is there no trackside vendor with your provider ? Woodcraft spares are normally carried by mine. They also have a tire vendor on site that can mount new tires.

Keigwin FTW !

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have typically had good experiences with them. I also try not to wait to the last minute for critical items or have spares on hand - that way you don't get stuck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm .. sorry to hear about your experience. Don't let it spoil your track day though. You SoCal guys are so lucky to have your season still so deep into Dec.

Is there no trackside vendor with your provider ? Woodcraft spares are normally carried by mine. They also have a tire vendor on site that can mount new tires.

Keigwin FTW !
Thanks. I don't think the track side vendors here carry much spare parts. Even if they do, they probably stock parts for the more common 600s and 1000s sport bikes. In every track day I've been so far, I'm the only SV out there.

I was suppose to get all my parts with enough time to install everything, get tires mounted and even break them in a little before the track, but with the situation now, I'll be lucky if I get the bike up by Saturday morning. I tried to cancel tires and get them at the track, but that's not possible now. Tires will arrive at home after I finish the track. I cannot afford to buy tires at the track and then come home and have another new set just sitting there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have typically had good experiences with them. I also try not to wait to the last minute for critical items or have spares on hand - that way you don't get stuck.
Well, I crashed on Sunday, called them on Monday morning. And that was last Monday too. I'm not sure how I could have ordered my parts any sooner.

If they couldn't make their original schedule, they should have at least give me some warning so I can rush to get them somewhere else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why didn't you contact Woodcraft directly and rush order the parts from them, the horses mouth so to speak? The tires are another story.
In hind sight, that was what I should have done from the get go. I wasn't thinking much to be honest. I thought STG had a good reputation and called them directly, explained my situation and placed the order. I didn't even shop of best prices. I was surprised when they told me they needed more than a week to get my order to me but felt confident they knew what they were doing.

I've learned my lesson. I'll go to the manufacturer directly the next time and stock up on common parts.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
If you knew you were gonna be on the track more often I would have started to prepare by buying spare parts for rearsets, clip ons, etc etc etc. Around here I figure by the time you order your gonna be waiting a week and a half. Next time be more prepared. We do have STG as a member/vendor on here. Blair at svracingparts is also a Woodcraft dealer.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Well, I crashed on Sunday, called them on Monday morning. And that was last Monday too. I'm not sure how I could have ordered my parts any sooner.

If they couldn't make their original schedule, they should have at least give me some warning so I can rush to get them somewhere else.
Wasnt noting that - just saying if you are relying on a vendor to get you something quick, there may sometimes be issues. If you're going to the track with any level of frequency, keep spares.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
+1

Funny how you never realize how many spare parts you actually need until a crash .. then the spare part you actually need is not the one you have .. then it snowballs into a spare bike. LOL.
Depends on the severity. It's typically the obscure ones that ruin your day... like a shift knuckle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts