Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so yesterday I ride to my Insurance Agents office for a little paper work. After we get to talking about my bike. As he watches me put on my helmet, mesh jacket and gloves he asks
"A little over-dressed aren't you?"
I reply with my favorite quote from here that I would rather sweat then bleed and proceed to laugh at his question. He does not ride, but I expected more from someone in the insurance industry.

to

G

·
0 Posts
I think you should have told him "If I go down, this is going to save you all a lot of money in medical bills" or somethin along those lines.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
push him to the ground and kick him until his eye ball falls out? :wink:

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I expected more from someone in the insurance industry.
You have unreasonable expectations. People "in the insurance industry," along with manufacturers, developed and promote the MSF course. They think about risk, loss and consequences. BTW, By and large, they're a sober and serious lot and probably couldn't "sell" a lifejacket to a drowning man because by the time they'd finished explaining the actuarial cost of itemized risk and the consequences of seawater on the O2 exchange mechanism of the alveoli, they poor guy would have long ago given up and slid into sweet oblivion, rather than be bored to death slowly.

This guy isn't "in the insurance industry," he's a salesman. Like a car salesman or the guy who wnats to show you something when you wander into a clothing store. He spends 0 time thinking about motorcycles and, as for motorcycle insurance goes, only knows where the right forms are and how to find the on-line menu for signing people up and posting payments.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nicely put Fatass. I may well have had unreasonable expectations, but I thought after 30 some years in the industry he would be different. He is a nice guy and I have had a few good conversations with him.
I may have proved myself wrong in his mind anyway as I passed him today on the interstate without my jacket. We live in a small town outside the city and there are not that many riders here so he probably recognized me. It was a short ride and just too hot.
to

·
Registered
110 Posts
Fatass SVS said:
This guy isn't "in the insurance industry," he's a salesman. Like a car salesman or the guy who wnats to show you something when you wander into a clothing store. He spends 0 time thinking about motorcycles and, as for motorcycle insurance goes, only knows where the right forms are and how to find the on-line menu for signing people up and posting payments.
exactly. You would probably not see the same type of response from an adjuster

·
Registered
154 Posts
When people see me in my gear for the first time they usually ask why in the world I would do something that puts myself in such risk that it requires so much protective gear. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Under200

N

·
0 Posts
theomen said:
"...I would rather sweat then bleed..."
That's great! Mind if I use that?

I was talking to a new Sportster rider the other day and she says something along the lines of: "...I don't know how you wear a jacket* in the summer..." I answered "...well, you can't put it on after you go down...". Her eyes got real big like the idea of actually crashing never even crossed her mind.

Most people -easily 90% around here- don't wear any gear besides a helmet. Hell, about half don't even wear jeans!

Ride safe, ya weirdo!

:)

*I was actually underdressed from my norm of FF helmet, jacket, pants, boots -I was 1/4 mi away from work (on lunch) and on surface streets, so I skipped the pants.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feel free to use it as I stole it from someone on this board. That is unless whoever that was speaks up.

to

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Being an insurance agent does not exempt him from being an idiot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm a fan of "Sweat washes off, road rash doesn't" ;)

My insurance guy is also a rider (or was until he sold his bikes to help get his agency off the ground :p ), so I haven't had that sort of trouble with him.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Being an insurance agent does not exempt him from being an idiot.
Haha! I suspect that is true for many professions!

I often get asked the same question. I wear a leather jacket all the time cuz I'm too poor to buy something for the summer.

Everyone asks "how can you wear that thing" etc. I use the sweat / bleed line as well.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
theomen said:
"...I would rather sweat then bleed..."
That's great! Mind if I use that?

I was talking to a new Sportster rider the other day and she says something along the lines of: "...I don't know how you wear a jacket* in the summer..." I answered "...well, you can't put it on after you go down...". Her eyes got real big like the idea of actually crashing never even crossed her mind.

Most people -easily 90% around here- don't wear any gear besides a helmet. Hell, about half don't even wear jeans!

Ride safe, ya weirdo!

:)

*I was actually underdressed from my norm of FF helmet, jacket, pants, boots -I was 1/4 mi away from work (on lunch) and on surface streets, so I skipped the pants.
:shock: Tidy whiteys makes for piss poor asphalt protection.

Who thinks textile gear offers adequate protection? I don't...I'm always in leather, the perf jacket stays in the closet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hehe.. I love the looks/comments I get when we roll into a gas station or whatever out in "gods country".. ya know.. where the banjo kid from delieverance retired too after the movie..

Got gas once and was walking in. I believe it was around 88-90 degrees that day and we were in full leather and all that jazz.

This dude meets me at the door... looks at me.. arches an eyebrow... and goes "Better you than me!"

hahah.. Normally I have a snappy comeback... but that particular day I couldn't say anything other than... "Yep, it's pretty warm out here."

·
Registered
229 Posts
You should have offered him your key and see what he said.

That would have been interesting I'll bet.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
My buddy that rides the '03 (somewhere around there) Ninja 600 usually will wear shorts, long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt, shades and a hat. the other day we were riding and it was dying, we stopped for a smoke and I was bitching and said I hope this doesnt keep pissing me off and I stop wearing it. He even knew, he said it was one of those things. You cant put the jacket on after you fall. He's ok with hurting himself, though he's also not squiddish when it comes to riding. Most riders know better, it just has to do with how much you actually care. Most non-riders just think your trying to look "pretty." Man that pisses me off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts