Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make sure that I'm not the only one this happens to.

I'm a pretty busy guy and I don't get a lot of time to ride. If my bike (2002 svn) sits for more than 4-6 weeks, the slow jets in the carbs get clogged. It seems that this has been happening more since the 10% ethanol started, but I'm not sure. The bike starts, but dies off idle. So, every time I get a chance to ride I can't because the carbs are screwed up.

I'm getting so that I can pull the carbs, clean the slow jets, and put it back together in just under an hour. The rest of the carb is fine, just the slow jets are clogged.

Is it just me? The gas is not ancient (maybe 3 months old). The bike is dry and garaged. Do I need to drain the carbs after riding to prevent this? It's becoming a real pain, and making me yearn for a fuel injected bike.

Thanks for the help
mikemo

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Try putting in a fuel stabilizer when you know its going to sit for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
First, burn through that 3 month old gas! Add some Sea Foam, go do a 200 mile ride, fill it with fresh gas, and put some Sta-Bil in there.

And no, you're not the only one with this issue - my bike needed that treatment after sitting for 4 weeks last summer with untreated gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts