Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really, but definitely KTM motorcycles blasting around a famous track! LOVE the corkscrew! As one of the 1st students to go through the new Skip Barber Superbike School at Laguna I wanted to provide a report for anyone even remotely thinking about attending. DEFINITELY GO!!
Right now only 2-day schools are offered but I think eventually 3-days will be available.
Three very cool things right off the bat:
1. You get quite a bit of track time that includes open laps & drills
2. You can swap out bikes anytime you want & ride all different KTM road bikes(RC8, Superduke, Duke)
3. They take more video of you both from the front & back than at any other school I’ve attended, & critique each one. There is no better way to know exactly what you’re doing & NOT doing!
Day 1 – We spent about a 1 ½ hours in the classroom with introductions & a detailed description of the school’s philosophy & what they teach. Then we all went out in a van around the track to begin learning this awesome course. Next we jumped on the bikes. KTM has a HUGE trailer & setup right next to the track! So we weren’t wasting time running back to a classroom all day. While we eventually could choose our bikes, we all initially started on Superdukes. Great torque on that bike! The day was mixed with drills on different parts of the track, video, lead/follow, more drills, and more video. The instruction was very individualized to each person. I eventually jumped on an RC8 & never looked back. The bike feels much lighter than it looks & was very stable in corners with great front-end feel & tremendous brakes!
Instructors – Can’t say enough great things about the staff! They have trained some of the best in the world. If you watch Moto GP or AMA… pay attention! You will see the riders using the techniques taught at the school (trail braking & proper body position especially).I came away with such an eye-opening experience about my own throttle roll-off & braking. It was a spot on assessment that will make a world of difference for me! Plus the $ is worth it to see Jeff Haney’s magic on a bike! I won’t reveal it here, but we all couldn’t believe what we saw him do in Turn 4! :worship:
Day 2 – Again we started in the classroom going over the drills/lessons for the day, then another van ride. There were also photographers there snappin pics just like a track day. Haven’t had that at any other school. We then got on the bikes for more drills & open lap time. One drill was a rear brake drill. I for one have not used the rear on the track, only for “off-track” excursions. So this drill was perfect for gaining confidence & control. Two other cool things from Day 2:
1. 2-up rides with one of the instructors. I have done this before & it’s a fantastic way to see the lines & their hands on the controls! It’s how I really learned proper downshifting.
2. Doing lead/follows with instantaneous feedback while you’re riding! You can make the needed corrections in the next corner.
Proof is in the improvement! If there is any doubt about the soundness of the school’s techniques, all you need to see is the unbelievable improvement in the students in JUST 2 days! :fiddy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds pretty cool. What skill level to they expect you to have when you show up?
As for skill level just basic operations of a bike with some basic riding experience. You definitely do not need to be a racer or track day junkie. We had one guy in the class whose never been on a track before & he made an AMAZING improvement!
Basically, whatever your skill level AND goals are the training is tailored specifically to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts