Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm contemplating buying a dirtbike to have a little fun on. I'm posting because I don't know much at all about dirtbikes. I've never owned one and only ridden them a few times. Give me your opinions. I know nothing about them so give me a small crash course for a first time dirtbike buyer. I'd like to buy a used bike for not much. Figured I should be able to find one under $2000 no problem.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Then you've already got my answer.

Dualsports are cool for playing. It's nice to be able to ride to the trails if you want to. Some models of the DRZ come street legal and insurance is CHEAP! I only pay $25 a year for my DR350 in addition to my SV insurance ;D

·
Registered
414 Posts
whatever you can find in good shape for cheap. Any of the big four would be fine with me. 125 and 250 are good fun. I've never ridden anything like that drz400 but I would love to.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
honda xr250.

good solid power and it will run forever ( its a honda ).

a MX bike will be the best for EVERYTHING. a motocross bike will be the best for trail, goofing around, mx, what ever you want. yes a MX bike is better for trails than trail bikes, dont let anyone tell you they other wise. Look at the bikes used for GNCC racing, they are MX bikes. You just have to rebuild the motors more than you would on a trail/learner bike. I barely had to rebuild my cr125, new piston every 40-70 hours. Takes an hour at the most.

But for you, someone new to it. Get a xr250. No need to get a bigger bike than that. If you wanna get a two smoker get a 125, reliability is not a problem. We had 2 for 5 years. Neither had a problem with either. You will get better suspension with the 125 mx bike but, you might not be able to tell the difference.

other bikes, KlX300, dr350, dr250.

my father had a xr400. it was a tank, tons of low end. I would not recommend it because of the weight, same with the DRZ400. but most trial bikes are heavy

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Get something DualSport-ish ... riding it to the trails really makes it more fun and useful.

DR/DRZ/XT/XL/ or look for an already plated enduro like a KDX200 stroker.

If you are new to dirt, you really dont need a hard core dirt bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i keep reading about rebuilds on dirtbikes. How much maintenance do they require and how expensive/time consuming are they? Also, I'm 235lbs so that may need to be taken in to consideration with bike choice.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
so i keep reading about rebuilds on dirtbikes. How much maintenance do they require and how expensive/time consuming are they? Also, I'm 235lbs so that may need to be taken in to consideration with bike choice.
all depends on how you ride.

You hear about rebuilds on mx bikes but most people who ride them, beat the **** out of them. Yes they are worse than a trail bike though.

Now that I know your weight, go for a xr400.

you can set the suspension on the xr400 very hard for heavier riders.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
typically, they require a bit more maintanence than a street bike. usually, they are ridden much harder, are crashed quite often, you're going off jumps, running through rocks and timber...everything takes that much harder of a beating.

the good thing, though, is that parts are usually pretty darn cheap and are very common for a lot of the bikes, being very similar. the first thing you'd probably end up doing is a rear shock, which is pretty simple. i've got an old 81 yamaha 250 enduro that i will be turning into more of a dirt bike/trails bike this summer. i need to get different bars on it, rebuild the carb and possibly the forks and brakes.

they are definitely a lot of fun that's for sure. my best friend lives on a dirt road and last night i was going over there and i starting mobbing through the gravel on my SV. wish i had the knobbies for it haha.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is where you will be riding it and if you need a plate to ride there legally. In a lot of states you need a license plate to ride on gov't owned land so unless you have access to private property your options would be limited. In some states it's very easy to take an "offroad" bike and get it plated, in others it is virtually impossible.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Look at the bikes used for GNCC racing, they are MX bikes. You just have to rebuild the motors more than you would on a trail/learner bike. I barely had to rebuild my cr125, new piston every 40-70 hours. Takes an hour at the most.
Yes, for racing, a high-strung MX BASED bike is typically used. But that's changing rapidly. Yamaha, KTM, Husqavarna, and Husaberg are gaining crazy momentum in the off road racing realm and those bike ARE NOT and never were, MX bikes.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if it is something "just to play with" you should also look at the kawasaki super sherpa. its 250 cc, street legal - nothing you will be taking on the interstate but a lot of fun "over the hills and through the woods" and you can take it on the small roads to "grandmother's house"

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
if it is something "just to play with" you should also look at the kawasaki super sherpa. its 250 cc, street legal - nothing you will be taking on the interstate but a lot of fun "over the hills and through the woods" and you can take it on the small roads to "grandmother's house"
Dude, he's 6'3, 235 ;D

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
You should have a bunch of dirt/gravel roads in your area as well as some pretty good trails I would imagine.

A dirtbike with a plate IS A BLAST!

My DR gets the vast majority of my miles now. Swiest will recommend a lot of bikes and they'll all begin with H and end with ONDA, but the DRZ is just as good (and already road legal).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, wisconsin has a lot of atv/offroad trails especially up north. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of valuable learning by not riding dirt. One thing i've noticed over the years is that a lot of the real good riders out there have a lot of dirt experience behind them.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts