Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any experienced dirt riders out there? I've been looking at bikes like a YZ125 for a future purchase and notice that most bikes like that have had the motors rebuilt at one time or another, which I assume is normal for a two stroke bike. My question is does anybody have much idea how much a two stroke like that costs to have the engine rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I had a YZ125 and needed it rebuilt but I had a friend do for free. parts for it was cheap and easy to find. it was a fun bike. now I ride a Honda 300EX. 2 wheels too risky for me in the woods anymore.........

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I used to race MX and cross country. One of my favorite woods bikes was a YZ125 with a flywheel weight and head porting. Sucked on big hills at my weight (200#) but I loved the light weight in these tight SW PA woods.

On a two stroke, 125 especially, they need rebuilt more often than a four stroke. But you don't have valves, cam chains, etc to worry about. Most often it's just rings and base gasket. Two strokes are ridiculously easy to do a top end on, I can do one in 30 minutes or so if I don't have to change the piston. Rings and gaskets (if you do the work yourself) will be less than $50. On my last 125 the rings were $25 and the base gasket was $8.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
me, myself, i think you'd be happier on an older 250, 2stroke... i take it your're not gonna race it?? i'm an OLD dirt guy from BS[before suspension!!] my 89 YZ250 is an excellllent woods bike, nice torque, not really pipey, cheap to run, it's just that unless your're gonna race, i don't think you'll like a pipey 125...for what that's worth!!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
i don't think you'll like a pipey 125...for what that's worth!!
That's where the flywheel weight and porting come in ;D. But I do agree. If you have no dirt experience, you might not like a 125. A 250 may seem like too much bike, but 125's can be tricky to ride for a newbie to the dirt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ridden a bunch in the dirt, I learned on a YZ80 and had an XR650L that I played alot in the dirt with. The XR was a beast in the dirt! LOL
My son is really chomping at the bit to start riding. He is 13 and about my height and I'm just looking for something cheap that he's not going to outgrow in the next year and have seen a ton of 125's for a very reasonable price. A side note I'd also be able to play with a bike that size! I just think as a first bike going to a 250 would be way too much right? I mean I kinda thought the 125 might be a bit much too, but he is pretty mature for his age and doesn't seem to be a real daredevil, so I didn't see him outgrowing a 125 in a few months.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i would try and stick with a 4 stroke. 2 strokes have quite a bite more regular maintenance needs. i can only stand the 2 stroke sound for like 20 minutes, then it's just annoying to me. normally, parts are pretty common and cheap, so doing isn't all that bad aside from the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As mentioned above - do the work on two-strokes yourself. They're simple and you'll save a lot of money.

Make sure you like two-strokes before you pony up and get one. I've tried two-strokes, but I just like four-strokes better. Love the light weight, hate the powerband.

I'd consider a four-stroke 250 enduro, while you're looking. M'boy just sold his CRF250X - e-start, which is handy, and he had the head done by Kibblewhite to make sure the valves would stay happy.

I started on a smaller 4-stroke, but I'm a small person. Trailies like the CRF230F are super-bulletproof, but pretty plodding and hit the ground hard when you jump.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I can only stand the 2 stroke sound for like 20 minutes, then it's just annoying to me.
I'm just the opposite, the new racing four strokes are WAY too loud in my opinion. I get a headache at the track now from the noise. And that is the reason more and more tracks are being closed due to "noise pollution". I've read we're going to see more strict exhaust and sound level testing in the near future to try and quiet those bikes down (at the racing level I am talking).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts