Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by the Buell City X, with it's dirt bike style bars. Has anybody done this? Will they fit and is there risk of hitting the tank?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had some aluminum Renthals on for a while. They were great for day to day driving because you got a lot of leverage. If you crash they don't bend, a good streetfighter solution.

I changed them out because I had to do really awkward things with my hand and wrist when I was at a track and trying to hang off. The bike is slowly evolving into a track tool.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been on the track yet, but I hope to do a track day before the summer's end. So they'd work well for commuting and weekend thrashing - I liked that extra leverage on the City X.

Do dirt bike bars come in different bends and legnths as street bars do or is there a standard?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dirt bike bars and MANY more options than street bars. Every famous MX/SX rider has a bend named after them. Go to the Rental or Answer bar site and you will see what I am saying.

I am a dirt rider primarily and will someday probably put a set on my SV.

M

·
0 Posts
enrico vespa said:
i was going to get renthals, but i don't want to mess with getting longer brake lines(i was told this will void my warranty if something happens). I may get them after warranty expires.

Renthal makes dif sizes, their site has the specs of every bar. I'l prob order the streetfighter model.
I have galfer lines ona gsxr 750- front end and an ascerbis moto cross bar mounted on there and no clearance issues or longer lines needed. Wroks great!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Mineral said:
I have galfer lines ona  gsxr 750- front end and an ascerbis moto cross bar mounted on there and no clearance issues or longer lines needed. Wroks great!
do you have a picture of your S with moto-bars?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a naked with drag bars on my first gen that don't hit the tank. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It'll work, here's a picture of mine...

I'm not sure what you mean by hitting the gas tank, I'm guessing you mean lock to lock? Mine don't hit...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That may only be a concern on 2nd Gens as the tank is wider.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a wide and high set of dirtbike bars on my 1st gen rat. Puts my hands just a shade too wide, otherwise, I love 'em...

[edit: measured the bar width yesterday-- 32", after already cutting off a good .5" on each side]

An action shot so you can see the position of hands and upper body:

Sorry, no side shots...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a set of Ricky C's (Renthals) on my 04 N, I picked these as they had the most sweep I could find at the local shop. Worked out well on the install (no need to longer lines) and it was cheaper than replacing them with the stock bars when the bike was dropped.

Overall I like them enough, they are probably a touch two wide but I don't notice it as much unless I am swapping bikes with someone else. But the riding postion is awesome for day to day riding, and low speed stuff, feels more like I am riding my trials bike so I feel a ton more comfortable than with clip-ons.

In fact when I got my new GSXR 750 front end lined up, I could tell I was going to be in pain with the clip-ons so I just dropped a bunch of dough on the LSL kit to keep the MX bars.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
so I am understanding currently that if I put dirtbike bars on my SVs, I am gonna greatly increase the wheely-factor right? :nono: no yelling about me being all interested in wheelies, I am not, its going to change the charecter of the bike for good for commuting and such, and though most of the time I am REALLY not interested in losing control of the front tire, now and then it could be a perk.
so is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I feel like my drag bars give me better control. Any bar that drops you down and brings you forward is a good thing for me. Standard moto bars should do this to a point. Plus depending on how wide they are you can really crank some leverage when cornering.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
well I am coming from the clipons on an S model so it will bring me up and back

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sorry I probably didn't read the entire post.

In that case, "yes, I am an idiot.." :dontknow:

I don't know about wheelie monster, I think overall you won't have a problem once you get used do the different geometry.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It shouldn't turn an SV(S) into a wheelie monster, it takes a good yank on my bars and or clutch slip to get the front end way up. During normal riding my SV will only get the front end up maybe an inch from the shift to second from first, which I imagine would be the same on your SVS.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
good, I mean a little more weight shift back and a little more wheely able wont be that bad of a thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts