Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am starting to get serious about track days and am becoming addicted. I sold my car and plan to buy a truck come winter, so this summer I have money to spend on the bike.

Should I:

A) Buy a track only bike, probably with a lost/non-rebuildable title, and leave mine for street use

-or-

B) Spend some extra on mine to get it in PERFECT, 100% new looking condition, and then track it when I feel like it.

-or-

C) Buy a new (to me) street bike and make mine a track bike, selling off street stuff to fund the new bike/track parts.

I am leaning towards B since it will be the cheapest option. I like A because I get a faster bike to ride on track. I like C because I get a more reliable bike for the street. A and C are nice because if I wreck on track, I can still ride to school/work the next day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Delimma

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but if you have a track only bike how are you gonna get it to the track without a truck or car? Which only leaves option b.
I have a 4x8 trailer and my dad, brother, mom and friend all have trucks I can borrow every track day. Thats what I have been doing.

·
Registered
628 Posts

I would go with A). If I were going to be really pushing my limits at the track, I would feel uncomfortable knowing that if something happened, I would suddenly be missing my main transportation. You should be able to find a good deal on a salvage title bike, put a bit of work into it, and have a decent track bike that you won't have to stress about going down.

·
Registered
836 Posts

+1 on 2nd track bike. Buy a nicely set up track only SV for $3K or less - they are out there if you look; (do beware the poorly set up track SVs also going for 3K). And ride the crap out of it. My theory on track bikes is that if you can't bring them home in several, barely recognizable pieces, that you can afford to walk away from, then you shouldn't be riding it on the track anway.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Since the title on your SV is clean and you've put so much work into making it look nice, I wouldn't make it a track bike. I'd get it looking how you want, then pick up a bike that someone has already track-prepped.

Like this one, for example.

$2,800:

'01 SV650
Ohlins rear shock
Racetech valves in the forks
Scotts steering damper
Yosh full exhaust with quiet insert
Pilot Powers with at least one good track day left in them
Hot Bodies race body
Speedscreen wind screen
frame sliders
Clip ons with replaceable tubes... just in case
Comes with owners manual AND shop manual
Includes new in package 47 tooth rear sprocket (46 on the bike)
Front and rear stands included
Spare clutch plates and disks

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think I have it figured out.

I am going to be coming across a very large sum of money this december/January. I will use that to buy/build a track bike.

In the mean time, I am going to spend the summer riding/tweaking/upgrading the SV a little at a time and using it as my main means of transportation. I will also be looking for a truck over the summer.

As far as track riding, I am just going to continue stripping the SV every track day and hope for the best. I would say that I plan to take it easy, but that is what I said last time... If I wreck it, so be it. I will salvage what I can from the mess and use it as an excuse to build it differently.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts

di⋅lem⋅ma   /dɪˈlɛm
ə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-lem-uh] Show IPA –noun 1.a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.2.any difficult or perplexing situation or problem.3.Logic. a form of syllogism in which the major premise is formed of two or more hypothetical propositions and the minor premise is a disjunctive proposition, as “If A, then B; if C then D. Either A or C. Therefore, either B or D.”

Origin:
1515–25; < LL < Gk dílēmma, equiv. to di- di-1+ lêmma an assumption, premise, deriv. of lambánein to take

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

di⋅lem⋅ma   /dɪˈlɛm
ə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-lem-uh] Show IPA –noun 1.a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.2.any difficult or perplexing situation or problem.3.Logic. a form of syllogism in which the major premise is formed of two or more hypothetical propositions and the minor premise is a disjunctive proposition, as “If A, then B; if C then D. Either A or C. Therefore, either B or D.”

Origin:
1515–25; < LL < Gk dílēmma, equiv. to di- di-1+ lêmma an assumption, premise, deriv. of lambánein to take

:notworthy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts