Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this once before and the owner let me keep his plate on it but I could tell he was reluctant. I had it insured but obviously couldn't register it till I got it home with the title.
I'm doing it again over a much longer distance and was wondering what other people have done besides shipping it.

TIA

· Registered
408 Posts
Some states, like AZ, will issue a temp plate. In AZ I think you can get one cheap for 3 days. Go to the State DMV website where you are purchasing the bike. May or may not help, good luck.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll call the DMV tomorrow. The bike is in WA state, I'm in Atlanta, driving a truck all that way would not make the buy worth it for me. This person just happens to have lots of goodies already installed on his bike that would save me money in addition to being able to visit family and friends on the west coast. I'll take any excuse for a road trip on a bike.

· Registered
5,388 Posts
I bought out of state and the only way I could come up with to do it was to rent a cargo van, which worked out well. (of course, not having a car at the time complicated things). If you plan to buy comprehensive insurance, you might as well get it set up beforehand should if fall over in transit or something.

Edit:
just saw how far away you were. Around here, (NYC) there are many agencies that will go to the dmv for you. You probably have the same thing in atlanta. If you make arrangements in atlanta beforehand, you could probably do the the whole thing in 48 hours by ging to WA, completing the transaction, and fedexing the title to your agent and having them fedex the plate to you in WA. All you need for insurance is the VIN so you can do that even before you make the purchase.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Is a plate absolutely necessary if riding a bike home?

In the past, I've always driven home recently purchased cars with just a bill of sale, until driving them (without plates this entire time) to the DMV usually the next day.

However, the farthest I've done this was roughly ~40 miles, and I had the signed title and bill of sale incase of any issues.

Obviously, you're talking cross country. What about having him mail the title and getting it registered in your name/getting plates in Atlanta before heading out there?

Not much of an internet vehicle buyer though, I tend to check it out in person before making any final decisions.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions. I really need to make a few phone calls come Monday.
A few of my friends are police officers/sheriff's deputies and I've asked them before about the bill of sale thing and I've been told that means nothing. Anyone can write one up whether they bought a vehicle or not.

I'm buying a 07 DL1000. If it's anywhere near as reliable as my SV I should be able to drive it off a cliff and still ride it home, granted I survive :) .

· Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Things must have changed. I haven't bought a vehicle out of state in a long time. But last time I did, I registered it in the state I bought it (AL). I used it in PA until the Alabama registration expired and then I transfered it over to PA. But that was over ten years ago.

· Registered
5,388 Posts
As far as I know, you have to be licensed in the state you plan on registering your vehicle in.
***some*** states will issue an "in transit" registration to private persons living out of state for this purpose. Everystate, AFAIK has a mechanism for dealers to do this sort of thing but few allow the equivalent for private sales.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
in wa, once the title for the bike is signed over to you by the owner, the wa dol says its your bike, so i'm not sure what the problem is? take the signed title to a dol office before you leave, you'll have to pay sales tax on the purchase price, and the title transfer fee. then the bike (and plate) is yours to ride wherever you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.